Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 1,101 to 1,190 of 1190
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Funny you say that. I had the same experience at outerbike Moab a year ago. I couldnt get the evil i wanted, and spot had some plus mayhems sitting around so i took one out. It ended up blowing my mind and being my favorite bike of outerbike, by a long shot.

I made a quick review video of it here on that day.

For the past month I've been riding a 6 star mayhem exclusively and i will release a more in-depth video review soon.

The mayhem and rollik are the best bikes ive ever ridden.

Regarding qheel size, I prefer the plus tires in moab and arizona, and the 29ers in california and the PNW. The plus tires aren't quite as fast, but they're super fun, and they take the edge off the square edge rocks. For moab's bigger trails like ahab, pirtal, whole enchilada, etc. I would rather have the plus tires.

Personally, the 27.5+ vs 29 feels almost identical to me size wise. Your wheelbase is the same, and the only difference is 1/3-1/2" closer to the ground. It wont change the reach feel. So, if a large 29er felt good, a large 27.5+ would feel good too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by miike View Post
    Hey guys. What is your opinion on sizing? I demo'ed a XL Mayhem at Outerbike because they didn't have a L and it felt surprisingly great. I am 6'1", 215lbs and have owned 3 Specialized size L and A Cannondale Habit and Trigger in Large and they always felt perfect sizing. I know that I am between sizes, but typically like the greater control that I get with being on the smaller side of that middle. But, with the steeper seat angle and finicky cockpit setup that I have been reading about here, I was wondering if Mayhem owners had some thoughts / opinions. I have been riding for 25+ years and fairly ride agressive.

Thanks!
    Iím 5í11Ē on a large Mayhem and it fits well. If I were your size Iíd probably opt for the XL. With the steep seat angle the Mayhem feels shorter than other bikes with a similar top tube length. Wouldnít hurt to drop Spot an email and ask their opinion. Iíve found them to be pretty responsive to questions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Keep in mind that the steep seat angle really only affects how it feels when you're seated. When you're standing up, going downhill, you often notice the longer reach/wheelbase.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstringsteve View Post
    Keep in mind that the steep seat angle really only affects how it feels when you're seated. When you're standing up, going downhill, you often notice the longer reach/wheelbase.
    I disagree.

With a shorter stem and dropper posts I dont notice it. I'm 5'6" on a med Mayhem with a 40mm stem and 760mm bars. When i drop the seat I dont notice the reach. I can move my body around to shift my weight either forward or back. I recently got a Orbea Rallon, again in med, and use a 35mm stem due its reach being a touch longer than the mayhem. I dont have a problem with that bike either and it is a long bike. Ill take the added stability of the longer wb over the small disadvantage to manueverabilty.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FAT CHANCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Iím 5í11Ē on a large Mayhem and it fits well. If I were your size Iíd probably opt for the XL. With the steep seat angle the Mayhem feels shorter than other bikes with a similar top tube length. Wouldnít hurt to drop Spot an email and ask their opinion. Iíve found them to be pretty responsive to questions.
    I will have to agree, I am also 5í11Ē and I riding on a large mayhem. I thought it might be too big for me but with the newer style of geometries being used in the trail bike arena these days this is the perfect size for. I rode a medium and after that I felt really cramped with my legs and where the handle bar was at.

Coming from a more XC riding back ground, I found this bike climbs amazingly well. You do feel some of the weight on the climbs (Iím coming from XC bikes) but the bike design with the carbon leaf spring design, really helps you up. Then on the down hills this thing is a beast! I love the 34 fox factory fork! Great trail bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thats fine, to each their own.

Reach measurements are measured from the bb. So as the SA gets steeper, the bars get closer to you, without changing the reach measurement at all.

When seated with a steep sa, i can ride a bike with 425-450 reach, but when standing, anything over 435 is too long. So i try to get a feel for the reach of a bike when standing more than when seated.

The steeper the seat angle, the more i feel the difference in reach when seated vs standing.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:44 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by miike View Post
    Hey guys. What is your opinion on sizing? I demo'ed a XL Mayhem at Outerbike because they didn't have a L and it felt surprisingly great. I am 6'1", 215lbs and have owned 3 Specialized size L and A Cannondale Habit and Trigger in Large and they always felt perfect sizing. I know that I am between sizes, but typically like the greater control that I get with being on the smaller side of that middle. But, with the steeper seat angle and finicky cockpit setup that I have been reading about here, I was wondering if Mayhem owners had some thoughts / opinions. I have been riding for 25+ years and fairly ride agressive.

Thanks!
    Hey, I'm also 6' 1''. Demoed a L in Golden from Spot's facility and ended up getting an XL. Couldn't be happier. I went with a slightly shorter stem than what they offer, and it was very similar to my size L Ibis Ripley which had a 80mm stem. To me (as others have said) the steep seat tube angle made the bike feel a little smaller than expected. You can review my earlier posts (Aug/Sept of this year). Let me know if you have any other questions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'd agree with that. My comments about the bike feeling short were in reference to seated pedaling. Depending on where and how your ride, the saddle to bar measurement can be a more important fit metric than reach.

mtbr member
    I'm 6', 34" inseam, went with a large. Rode both XL and L at Outerbike Crested Butte.

I did have concerns that on the long downhills at Evolution bike park in CB that I was hanging off the edge of the saddle more than other bikes (which is what led me to try the XL), but even the XL had that problem, but just a bit less so.

Pulled the trigger on the L and popped it's cherry in Moab a couple weeks ago and realized on the long drive home it had never crossed my mind that the bike was too small.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by relder View Post
    I'm 6', 34" inseam, went with a large. Rode both XL and L at Outerbike Crested Butte.

Pulled the trigger on the L and popped it's cherry in Moab a couple weeks ago and realized on the long drive home it had never crossed my mind that the bike was too small.
    Thanks Relder. Looks like we both were at Outerbike in CB. Thanks to everyone for chiming in on the sizing. There is one difference that I found specifically between deciding between a L and XL, vs. M and L, etc. The XL is designed with an extra 8mm of chainstay length. Coming from a 27.5 and very short chainstays, 420mm, I am used (and like) how that rides. The Mayhem is a 29er and has longer chainstays, so I expect it to be less playful, but have read a lot of comments about "somehow" the Mayhem does it. Either way, if I am really between sizes, I't rather solve slight cockpit cramping with seat position and stem length (adjustable), than a longer frame

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Oh yeah, i forgot the xl has longer chainstays. If you like 420 chainstays (i do too), id go for the L.

The mayhem is way more playful than a bike with 440mm chainstays should be, but its still not nearly as playful as something with 420 or even 430mm (in my opinion). I have pretty short legs (28" inseam) and im super sensitive to chainstay length. If you dont bunny hop or manual a lit, tge 440 chainstays are great.

Personally, if i could get a mayhem with 420-430 chainstays, it would be a dream.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Awesome. Looks a lot like the ibis yoke. I love adjustability and options.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Im plenty happy with my Mayhem but wondering if anyone has ridden the Yeti SB130 and compare. Looks nice but the Spot ticks all the boxes for me right now.

mtbr member
    The SB130 ticks all the boxes too:

- Overpriced
    - Linkage issues the company won't address (see Yeti forum)
    - Sh*tty customer service

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post

- Overpriced
    Ya, im sticking with Spot. Just wondered if anyone here ridden one?

mtbr member

- Overpriced
    To be fair even Spot had some issues initially dealing with some issues in the past. But like all good companies that stepped up and handled it well. Iím sure Yeti will too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    From talking to my friends who have ridden an sb130, it sounds like it's a lot longer, and a bit less snappy and spirited. They all sized down since the yetis are so long. One of my friends has an sb100 and he likes the sb100 and the sb150, but not the sb130. He said the sb130 was kinda stuck in the middle: ok at a lot if stuff but not great at anything. It wasnt capable enough to be a hard hititng enduro bike, but wasn't sporty enough to be super fun on the mellow stuff.

That same buddy fell in love with the sb150, but he said it was a little less poppy with the float x2 in the rear. He said he would like to swap it for a dpx2 to regain a most progressive rear feel.

I know there are people out there who like their sb130s though. It seems quite different from the mayhem. I hope to demo one soon, just so i have a frame of reference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

- Overpriced
    That pretty much sums it up. Really like the way Yeti's ride (almost bought a 5.5 last year) but their customer service is notoriously bad. If I am going to drop multiple thousands of dollars on a mountain bike, I'm going to give it to companies like Spot or Ibis that I know will have my back if something goes wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly88 View Post
    But like all good companies that stepped up and handled it well. Iím sure Yeti will too.
    Yeti has had years of opportunity but they continue to be the worst. Itís clear they donít give a shit.

mtbr member
    Yeti has had years of opportunity but they continue to be the worst. Itís clear they donít give a shit.
    Could be that I have a great shop but Iíve had 4 yetis over the last 4 years. Two had minor issues including the sb100 SI link and one paint issue. Both were handled quickly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just buttoned up my Spot Mayhem Review. Hopefully this helps those who haven't had a chance to ride one before.

Part 1:

Last edited by sixstringsteve; 1 Week Ago at 05:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Part 2 (including my thoughts on how it compares to a rollik 607)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What a fun bike!
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 1 Week Ago at 05:19 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks, Steve for such great reviews of the bike! I think your comments and descriptions of how this bike rides will be helpful to many others considering this bike.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Thank you for the great review. I own both the Rollik 607 and Mayhem and I agree with everything you have said. Both bikes are excellent and its hard to decide which one to ride some days!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I know what you mean! There's a lot of overlap between the two bikes, but they each have their own flavor. If I had both, I'd struggle to decide which to ride most days too.

I think I'd probably end up reaching for the mayhem for the mellower rides, or when I'm riding with my buddies who have 29ers. I have a tough time keeping up with my buddies whem I'm on the rollik, but I can definitely keep up with them when I'm on the mayhem.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    I agree. the Mayhem is a faster bike for sure on the more green-blue type trails. I have found it will handle the chunky tech rides but the Rollik is the bomb in that stuff. Its a great problem to have trying to decide. I did ride my Mayhem in a couple of Endurance races this year. Its not an xc bike like you mentioned but it climbs so well I still had a blast. If they release an xc bike with the Living Link I think they will have lots of people jumping ship. Thanks again. I enjoy your reviews.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Excellent review! I have been eying this bike to replace my Jet 9 RDO 120mm bike as a do all trail/ endurance race bike. I especially appreciated the compassions to other bikes. The Jet is most comparable to the Ripley. I also took a lot away from the location and trail comparisons.

You seem to confirm what others have said about the suspension riding harsh. Your explanation made me understand it completely.
    Thanks! Again. Excellent video and review!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks. It's always a challenge to put into words what a bike feels like, especially since we all have different techniques on different terrain.

I wouldnt describe the Mayhem's suspension as harsh, especially on the descents. It just sits higher in its travel on climbs than most bikes with a horst link or dw link design. It feels a lot like a switch infinity or a vpp on the climbs, only it doesnt get hung up on bumps. Rather than pushing the tire down into the terrain on climbs, it wants to propel you forward and accelerate you. Traction has never been a problem, but other suspension designs are more active and squishy on the climbs and really push the rear tire down into the ground. Some people like that, some people don't. I feel like the mayhem has way more traction than a hardtail, but it's not as squishy as a specialized or scott.

I suppose some people would call that harsh, but it feels more supportive and efficient than harsh to me. It doesnt beat me up and it doesn't lose traction, but it isnt super squishy uphill either. Lots of people want different things in the way their bike rides. I tend to prefer an efficient design that sprints well under power. This bike sprints so well.

On climbs it's a lot like a yeti sb5+ on the ups, but way more plush on the downs. I dont consider the switch infinity suspension "harsh" on the climbs, but I do on the descents. I suppose some people would describe a switch infinity or living link suspension as "harsh", especially if they're used to a design that bobs a lot. I feel like the yetis are harsh on the descents, but not the climbs. The mayhem doesn't feel harsh on the descents to me, unless I have too much pressure in the tires.

I feel like the ripley is more harsh than the mayhem, but even then I wouldn't describe the ripley as "harsh". Also, the geometry of the ripley was more twitchy for me at speed than the mayhem. Some people may like that. The ripley felt like a trail bike with strong XC hertiage, where the Mayhem feels like a trail bike with AM heritage. The ripley felt large, and like I was sitting on top a bit. The ripley was sporty, but I didn't quite fefel like I was in total control. The bike told me where it wanted to be a bit of the time. The mayhem feelt way more composed at speed, and I felt like I was in control, not the bike. It felit like a trail bike on the climbs, but an all mtn bike on the downs. It wouldn't be my first choice for enduros; there just isn't enough suspension out back for super hard-hitting riding at speed. For almost all the trails I ride, the Mayhem would be my choice

Compared to a tallboy, I feel like the mayhem has more climbing traction, more acceleration, and is smoother on the descents.

On the downs the mayhem feels just like a dw link to me (similar to a switchblade, or a more progressive mojo 3). For Nothern California, Oregon, or a lot of trails back east, this would be my main bike. I just wish it had that short rear end so I could play a little more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I wouldnít call the Mayhem ďharshĒ either. Iíd say itís firm, but compliant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have talked about how the Mayhem does so many things well. Your review is very accurate. I can see how the feel of the bike can be a little polarizing to people. The bike has a high level of anti squat. It's difficult to explain how the living link works, but it there are articles out there that explain how it lengthens (firms up) and then relaxes. This provides the great pedal platform, but also creates a spot of harshness if you will when hit bumps at this moment. If the bump is large enough, it gets passed this point and the bike feels softer. When climbing tech stuff, this is more like a hardtail feels. You are essentially lifting you and the bike up and over the rocks and roots. It's feels very efficient, but it is taking over long distances or repetititve obstacles. With Yeti's SI, the rear will move a bit when climbing, which doesn't require you to lift you and the bike up and over to the same degree. Its a hard concept to explain and I am sure someone can do it better. Over long rides with a long of techy climbing, I do feel the increased fatigue of the constant "lifting." I have a new Yeti too. Over the same trail, I feel less fatigue with the Yeti.

Similar things are going on with successive chattery type impacts. If they are not big enough to get past this firm point, it feels harsh. Add one bigger compressing and it feels smooth.

In my opinion, the bike is awesome. I ride east coast singletrack with tons of roots, rock gardens and punchy and moderate climbs. The techy stuff can be in any situation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    I have talked about how the Mayhem does so many things well. Your review is very accurate. I can see how the feel of the bike can be a little polarizing to people. The bike has a high level of anti squat. It's difficult to explain how the living link works, but it there are articles out there that explain how it lengthens (firms up) and then relaxes. This provides the great pedal platform, but also creates a spot of harshness if you will when hit bumps at this moment. If the bump is large enough, it gets passed this point and the bike feels softer. When climbing tech stuff, this is more like a hardtail feels. You are essentially lifting you and the bike up and over the rocks and roots. It's feels very efficient, but it is taking over long distances or repetititve obstacles. With Yeti's SI, the rear will move a bit when climbing, which doesn't require you to lift you and the bike up and over to the same degree. Its a hard concept to explain and I am sure someone can do it better. Over long rides with a long of techy climbing, I do feel the increased fatigue of the constant "lifting." I have a new Yeti too. Over the same trail, I feel less fatigue with the Yeti.

Similar things are going on with successive chattery type impacts. If they are not big enough to get past this firm point, it feels harsh. Add one bigger compressing and it feels smooth.

In my opinion, the bike is awesome. I ride east coast singletrack with tons of roots, rock gardens and punchy and moderate climbs. The techy stuff can be in any situation.

this the most honest and to the point assessment of the bike feel. i totally agree. demoed this bike (and rollik) several times (spot is 5 min from my house) and had my friends mayhem for over a week, plus talking to spot guys i got pretty good feel about how the bike handles. demoed 36 140mm front/ dpx2 rear setup as well, but after demo i thought i liked the stock setup quite a bit more.
    at the end, I ended up with different bike though, as neither mayhem nor rollick did feel like the right weapon for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    ...at the end, I ended up with different bike though, as neither mayhem nor rollick did feel like the right weapon for me.
    Which way did you go?
    Whining is not a strategy.

V-Shaped Rut
    Thanks for the video review Steve!

I'm looking at a 29er to compliment my HD4, for longer rides and even shorter rides that don't involve lots of pacnw gnar where a smaller more playful bike shines.

I'm looking at the Following MB, Ripley and only recently the Mayhem came onto my radar. I also came from riding BMX bikes as a kid and like to pop off stuff, manuals, rip corners, etc. It SOUNDED from your review that it didn't have as much fun factor as something like the Following, but makes up for it on climbing. True statement?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Which way did you go?
    i ended up building HD3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

- Overpriced
    But, but you get to be part of the "Tribe"!
    Last edited by Biopace; 6 Days Ago at 12:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post

I'm looking at a 29er to compliment my HD4, for longer rides and even shorter rides that don't involve lots of pacnw gnar where a smaller more playful bike shines.

I'm looking at the Following MB, Ripley and only recently the Mayhem came onto my radar. I also came from riding BMX bikes as a kid and like to pop off stuff, manuals, rip corners, etc. It SOUNDED from your review that it didn't have as much fun factor as something like the Following, but makes up for it on climbing. True statement?
    100% true. You understood my experience to a tee.

The main reason I didn't find the mayhem super playful is the long chainstay. If you're tall enough to manual a 440 chainstay well, you'll be golden. I'm not.

I have a 415mm chainstay on my chameleon and it's my favorite bike for manuals and turns. Alll I have to do is think "I want to manual this", and I can float that front wheel a long ways. I don't have to yank up on the bars, I don't have to shift my weight massive ammounts, I just do it.

I have a 430mm chainstay on my rollik, and it's not as good as the chameleon for manuals, but it's still decent, and I can maintain them pretty well. 430 is pretty much considered "short" for most AM/Enduro bikes these days. For reference, I feel like the HD4 manuals a bit better than the rollik.

The 440 of the mayhem is a struggle for me to hold that balance point. However, a good buddy of mine (who is an incredible rider with a BMX background) is 6' tall and he can maual my mayhem for 200+ feet with no issues. Maybe I just suck at manuals. Maybe my leg length has something to do with it. Maybe he's just amazing and he can manual anything.

My legs are only 28" long. That makes it REALLY tough to get my hips behind the rear axle on a 440mm chainstay. I only have so much leg to extend to get my hips back. I struggle to manual the Mayhem well. I can manual it about 15 feet, but it takes considerable effort for me, and I have to really lift the front wheel high to get at that balance point. And my butt rubs the tire from time to time (short legs and all).

If you can manual a hightower or a yeti sb4.5/5.5, then you'll be able to manual this just fine. I find all of those bikes difficult to manual.

Apart from manuals and bunny-hops, this bike is still quite playful for a 29er. I feel like the following MB is more playful on the downs (it feels like a 27.5 bike to me, not a 29er), but not fun on the ups.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    100% true. You understood my experience to a tee.

The main reason I didn't find the mayhem super playful is the long chainstay. If you're tall enough to manual a 440 chainstay well, you'll be golden. I'm not.

I have a 415mm chainstay on my chameleon and it's my favorite bike for manuals and turns. Alll I have to do is think "I want to manual this", and I can float that front wheel a long ways. I don't have to yank up on the bars, I don't have to shift my weight massive ammounts, I just do it.

I have a 430mm chainstay on my rollik, and it's not as good as the chameleon for manuals, but it's still decent, and I can maintain them pretty well. 430 is pretty much considered "short" for most AM/Enduro bikes these days. For reference, I feel like the HD4 manuals a bit better than the rollik.

The 440 of the mayhem is a struggle for me to hold that balance point. However, a good buddy of mine (who is an incredible rider with a BMX background) is 6' tall and he can maual my mayhem for 200+ feet with no issues. Maybe I just suck at manuals. Maybe my leg length has something to do with it. Maybe he's just amazing and he can manual anything.

My legs are only 28" long. That makes it REALLY tough to get my hips behind the rear axle on a 440mm chainstay. I only have so much leg to extend to get my hips back. I struggle to manual the Mayhem well. I can manual it about 15 feet, but it takes considerable effort for me, and I have to really lift the front wheel high to get at that balance point. And my butt rubs the tire from time to time (short legs and all).

If you can manual a hightower or a yeti sb4.5/5.5, then you'll be able to manual this just fine. I find all of those bikes difficult to manual.

Apart from manuals and bunny-hops, this bike is still quite playful for a 29er. I feel like the following MB is more playful on the downs (it feels like a 27.5 bike to me, not a 29er), but not fun on the ups.
    I feel your pain! Lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That mojo 3 is a super fun bike for those with a BMX background. I didn't care for the linear the suspension curve, and i felt it was a little slow. it's still a fantastic bike though. I think 90% of riders would benefit far more from a bike like the mojo 3 than the latest carbon LT 29er. It amazes me how many people will be on a $8k bike with very rudimentary skills. Like trouble shifting, or lifting the rear wheel without clips, or sprinting up a climb, or hopping up a curb.

When I went to outerbike, I was blown away by how many people were demoing $10k bikes, with very little bike skill. I'm not the world's greatest rider, and I'm not saying this to talk down on anyone, but it really highlighted the need for people to develop great bike handling skills. Hardly anyone there knew how to shift, what gear to be in, how to set tire pressure, how to climb steep, rocky terrain, etc. The mojo 3 seems like the perfefct bike to learn bike control on (manuals, cornering, jumping, technical climbing, etc.)

I think a lot of people (not directed at anyone in this thread) are shopping for a bike that makes them able to ride trails better without actually improving their skill.

I know I've been guilty of thinking an upgrade will make me a better rider, when in reality, I need better skill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post

I also came from riding BMX bikes as a kid and like to pop off stuff, manuals, rip corners, etc.
    Personally, I haven't found a 29er that rides like a BMX. The closest I've found is a Trek Stache or a Pivot Switchblade. The stache is a rad bike. The switchblade is awesome too, but it's burly and meant for big hits, and didn't quite have the momentum/quick/light feel that the mayhem has. I still think the switchblade is a fantastic one-bike quiver, but it's a solid blend between an enduro bike and a trail bike.

The Mayhem helped me enjoy a new kind of fun that I haven't felt on any other bike. It's not BMX-ish fun, it's more like the fun you'd get from a rigid singlespeed. The speed, the lightness, the acceleration, the momentum. That excitement turned green and blue trails into a ton of fun again.

I just wonder if there's a way to combine that playful singlespeed feel of the mayhem with the feel of a BMX-ish bike. If anyone finds something like that, please let me know, it sounds like an amazing combination. I'm betting with my small height, I struggle to find it. The closest I've come is with my hardtail chameleon, but the HA is a little too steep to really get up to speed on it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A bit off topic, but my buddy who works for BIKE mag took a following MB to whistler for a month and hit A-line, Crabapple, and everything. He was blown away at how capable that bike was. He said there wasn't much room for error, and you had to be a smooth rider, but it handled all that stuff amazingly well. He loves that bike.

I felt like the Following MB was more of a shredder and less of a trail bike. It felt burly and it wanted to charge. It felt like it had 140mm travel to me. I wouldn't describe it as being light on its feet like a mayhem. It's a fantastic bike, but it definitely favors the downs, and I didn't feel like the 29" wheels were a huge advantage on that bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Spot just sent out an email for BF deals on the Mayhem:

Framesets - $300 OFF
    4-Star Complete - $400 OFF
    5-Star Complete - $500 OFF
    6-Star Complete - $1000 OFF

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Mayhems are on sale.
    https://spotbrand.com/collections/mo...nt=41085941324

$4k for a full carbon, gx eagle equipped bike is a just a screaming deal compared to other companies.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Is a new model coming out with that flip chip that was in an earlier post?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    I think they are working on s longer travel bike and this is for that bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Trying to decide between the 4 star and 5 star build of the Mayhem. Difference is $800. I know itís kind of a loaded question as to which to get but can anyone chime in? Is the $800 worth the shock/fork upgrade which seems like the main thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chaeha View Post
    Trying to decide between the 4 star and 5 star build of the Mayhem. Difference is $800. I know itís kind of a loaded question as to which to get but can anyone chime in? Is the $800 worth the shock/fork upgrade which seems like the main thing.
    Others may argue, but the shock, dpx2 v dps, made a difference to me. I cant comment on the fork as I have not owned the 36. I have a push modified 34.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'd go with the 4 star, and if the fork lets you down (dountful), get a grip 2 damper from fanatik.

I cant feel a difference between kashima and non kashima forks.

Another big upgrade with the 5 star is the carbon cranks, carbon bar, and more x01 stuff. Plus rsc brakes. I love the contact pad adjust on the rsc levers. I still think the 4 star is an amazing bang for the buck though.

How bad do you want kashima?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Others may argue, but the shock made a difference to me. I cant comment on the fork as I have not owned the 36. I have a push modified 34.

4 star Mayhem comes with Fox Performance shock/34 fork.
    5 star Mayhem comes with Fox Factory shock/34 fork.

The other major difference is GX drivetrain (4 star) vs X01 (5 star).

I'm so close to pulling the trigger!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    4 star and spend the $250 to upgrade to the Fox 36. The add on/upgrade is here: https://spotbrand.com/collections/small-parts

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chaeha View Post
    4 star Mayhem comes with Fox Performance shock/34 fork.
    5 star Mayhem comes with Fox Factory shock/34 fork.

The other major difference is GX drivetrain (4 star) vs X01 (5 star).

I'm so close to pulling the trigger!
    Sorry I thought you were wwking about dps v dpx2 shock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I love this bike with a 36, but i doubt its needed. If you prefer a lightweight bike, the 34 is plenty stiff. If you ride extremely agressively or weigh a lot or do a ton of downhills, the 36 might be worth it, along with a dpx2 out back. Id be surprised if most people found the 34 insufficient though. The fox 34 is an amazing fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Loving the responses! Don't care too much about Kashima but hmmm the carbon cranks, drivetrain, and brakes could tip the balance to 5 star.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Think of it as a win/win. If you buy 4 star you save $ and can afford an $800 mtb road trip or some coaching sessions (something i need desperately).

If you buy 5 star, you get kashima, carbon bars, carbon cranks, x01, rsc, and instant street cred in the parking lot. Only downside...people expect you to be a better rider with all that bling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you are like me and get upgradeitis, go for as much as you can afford. Cheaper now than replacing the drivetrain, etc. down the road.

I'm 190lbs fully geared up and found the F34 to have some flex on the Mayhem 29". On my old Rollik 557, the F34 was fine with the 27.5" wheels.

I don't have any experience with the X2 shock. The DPS has treated me well over the past 1800 miles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If I were shopping I'd probably spring for the 5 star build. In addition to the carbon bits you also get a better wheel set and brakes. The bike is so capable it cries out for a longer travel fork, so would either buy a 140mm air spring for the 34 or upgrade to the 140mm 36.

I know $4800 is a bunch of cash for a mountain bike, but when you consider the X01 build on the Yeti SB130 is $7200, the Mayhem seems like a pretty damn good deal.

MSH
    mtbr member
    I think they are working on s longer travel bike and this is for that bike.
    I had an online chat with Spot the other day on the flip chip and I was told it's for Rollik only for the 2019 version of that bike. From my understanding we are a year off minimum from a LT Mayhem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    I had an online chat with Spot the other day on the flip chip and I was told it's for Rollik only for the 2019 version of that bike. From my understanding we are a year off minimum from a LT Mayhem.
    Sounds like we can expect some sweet discounts on the 2018 Rollik!

mtbr member
    For those of you considering 5* build, it's almost all X01 drivetrain, except the cassette, the heavy part, it's GX. Spot will let you upgrade from a GX cassette to X01 for a nominal fee. Can't do that purely from the web site though, gotta call/email.

I spent $ to lighten it up a touch more instead of spending more for heavier suspension bits No regrets on that so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Yeti SB130 seems like an amazing bike but canít help but feel like Iím getting gouged a little bit price wise just for the Yeti name.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A little bit?

A 4 star mayhem is $500 more than a yeti sb130 frame. Or $200 more than an SB150 frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Dang when they gonna shotted the seat tubes. XL is no bueno

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Are you going off measurements, or appearance?

The seat tubes look a lot taller than they are (due to the super low top tube). Look at where the top of the seat tube is in relation to the steer tube.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No measurements.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Interesting they would come out with a new rear triangle only a year after the 607 came out, maybe they are making the linkage a little more progressive to solve some of the issues of people blowing through the travel? I have the 1.12 spacer in my 607 and am happy with the shock progressiveness with that, but having a little more leeway without using the biggest spacer would be nice. having a flip chip option would be nice. Also curious to see if/when they will update the front triangle. I am under the impression that it has been the same triangle across the line since the original rollik came out. Maybe an update with shorter seat tube longer reach would be next?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a .86 spacer in my rollik and it feels perfect to me. I hope they don't make it much more progressive.

It does seem odd that the rollik, the newest model in the lineup, would be the next one to get updated.

Maybe it's to create a new upper link that forsnt get anywhere close to the seat tube at full compression? The new upper link seems to worknfine for me, but maybe this allows them to do more. I hope they don't lengthen the chainstay on the rollik at all...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm running the stock spacer on my Mayhem without any bottom out issues, but I generally keep my wheels on the ground. I can see why people are running the bigger spacers if they are hucking frequently.

I've thought it would be cool if Spot offered the carbon leaf spring in different stiffnesses. Maybe a soft, medium and stiff? People that don't like as much pedal platform could run a softer version. That said, not sure what effect that would have on the rest of the suspension performance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Wow, that's pretty exciting! I wonder if it feels any different from the current rollik.

dmo
    mtbr member
    150mm bikes seem to be popular now. Im holding out for a Spot ebike

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Hello, I rode the 29er Mayhem at Outerbike in Bentonville and was really impressed! It pedaled really well and I totally agree with Steve's reviews...thank you! I ride hardtails but I want a bike with more capabilities, and I really think this is it. It will handle what I ride most of the time, and it will take the edge off of the rocks, drops, jumps, etc. I have long legs and arms and I don't have a problem getting the front wheel off of the ground, so for me it feels very fun/poppy, but it climbs amazingly! With the current sale I really want to pull the trigger, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. A couple of questions that I have:
    1) I'm 6'3" and I weigh 215lbs. Should I go straight to the 140mm Fox 36 and DPx2? I rode the stock stop in Bentonville and it felt great, but I did use all of the travel on fun but somewhat tame trails. Given my weight and desire to get a little more rowdy (I may visit a park now and then), is the stock shock setup sufficient? I ride hardtails now so this may seem obvious to someone with more experience.
    2) Outside of the 34 vs 36 and DPS vs DPx2 thing, I am stuck between the 4 star and 5 star builds. Taking advantage of the sale could get me a better bike, but it may not be worth it. I don't know, I just don't want to regret it in the future. Again, I don't have a lot of experience here as my other bike are hardtails and getting old. But, I still have lots of fun on my Gary Fisher Paragon and even my old Diamondback Overdrive!
    Any thoughts would really be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Congrats, glad you got to ride one at outerbike.

Theres some great discussion about 4 star vs 5 star a few posts up.

Fox 34 is super stout. If you prefer a light bike, stick with the stock 34 and regular rear shock. I believe the fox 36 weighs 1/2lb more. The dpx2 will weigh more too. Its a bit burlier with those bigger shocks/fork. But you can still ride a 34 extremely hard. With your size and weight, I'd recommend the 36/dpx2 upgrade.
    Last edited by sixstringsteve; 3 Days Ago at 03:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biopace View Post
    Sounds like we can expect some sweet discounts on the 2018 Rollik!
    There's no such thing as a "2018" Rollik.... with the new linkage design, my guess is Spot just phased out the old one as they were sold, and then put everyone else on back order until the new rear triangle was designed/built.

And to the guy above- the 5-star build is definitely worth the extra cash. Drivetrain, brakes, suspension, wheels; just about everything that matters is better over the 4-star build. If you can swing it, go for it. There's not really a thing you have to upgrade with the 5-star, but if you go with the 4-star build you'll always want to swap things out down the road.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Thanks Steve and Steve for the fast replies! Steve, I enjoy your videos and appreciate your insight. The DB channel isn't just for the girls!
    Not sure if the new baby is here yet (I feel like it may be but I may be mistaken, I have read and watched a lot of bike related material recently!), but I hope all is well with mom and baby!

And Steve (smmokan), that's pretty much what i'm getting at. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. You probably have as much experience as anyone on this bike as well as observing others on this bike. Am i thinking right here about my weight/size with relation to the shocks?

The 6 star is out for me, but pretty much everything else is on the table. I don't want to spend just to spend, but I can justify the cash if it makes sense based on value, intended use, and given my size/weight, etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Any 6 ft 1 in guys on the xl? What dropper size can you fit. The 21 ST is 4.5 inches longer than my current bike so the 160 bike yoke would most likely be out for me. I'm using a 185 with 3 inches to spare. Math says it around .5 inch too long for the 160 to work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubya007 View Post
    And Steve (smmokan), that's pretty much what i'm getting at. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. You probably have as much experience as anyone on this bike as well as observing others on this bike. Am i thinking right here about my weight/size with relation to the shocks?

The 6 star is out for me, but pretty much everything else is on the table. I don't want to spend just to spend, but I can justify the cash if it makes sense based on value, intended use, and given my size/weight, etc.
    I think I'm an outlier with regards to the rear shock: I actually prefer the stock Fox DPS over the DPX2. I personally think the DPX2 dampens the suspension too much, where as it's a much more lively feeling with the DPS EVOL. That said, for where I live (Eagle, CO) I like a more playful, efficient bike since we my home trails aren't super techy and that's what I ride the most. Plus, I like the "true" lockout of the DPS for longer climbs. Most of my rides are 3,000+ feet of climbing.

For the front fork, I switched from a Fox 34 130 to a Pike 140 RCT3 midway through the year and I definitely liked the Pike over the Fox 34. Again though, I think it's more personal preference, as I've always been a fan of how smooth the Pikes are. If you're looking to take it to a park every once in a while, then I'd definitely recommend a Fox 36 up front. It's a little heavier, but it's much beefier and stable, which you'll appreciate as a bigger dude. I rode Moab for 4 days this fall with a Fox 36-equipped Mayhem (all our demos had Fox 34 on them) and it was definitely nice to have.

mtbr member
    Any 6 ft 1 in guys on the xl? What dropper size can you fit. The 21 ST is 4.5 inches longer than my current bike so the 160 bike yoke would most likely be out for me. I'm using a 185 with 3 inches to spare. Math says it around .5 inch too long for the 160 to work.
    I've seen several guys your height waffle between our large and XL demos... and almost all of them were more comfortable on the large. The main issue was the dropper post height, getting at your question. The BikeYoke 160 was just BARELY too long on the XL to fit most of the guys that were around 6'1", so they sized down and were much happier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Build wise Iíd definitely go with the 5 star. I got the 4, but already had a set of carbon wheels and cranks. Even with that I kinda wish I wouldíve sprung for the 5. The nicer drive train and especially better brakes are worth the price of admission.

At your size/weight Iíd go with the 36. Itís noticeably stiffer and more precise than the 34. As an added bonus if you ever want to experiment with 27.5+ you wonít have to mess around with a headset spacer. I have the stock DPS on mine and like it. Iíd have to defer to others on the DPX as I have no experience with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Thanks! 👍

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Can the stock 34 be bumped up to 140mm travel with a new air spring?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Can the stock 34 be bumped up to 140mm travel with a new air spring?
    Yes, did that with my Ripley.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cool. That might be a good option for those who want 140mm up front but dont need a 36.

mtbr member
    Does the 34 come with the grip damper?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The specs say grip damper. I assume that means its not a grip 2. Is the fox 34 available with the grip 2 damper? I know the step cast is, but unsure about the regular 34.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Pretty sure the Grip 2 damper is only available on the 36...at least for now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The 34 is still the FIT4 dampener (at least in the factory series). I have my 34 @ 140 and like it a lot. I wanted to keep the weight down and it made more sense to me. I'm probably 155 geared up and it is plenty stiff for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JasonL; 1 Day Ago at 03:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Mayhem 29 in the 5 star size large. Thanks for everyone's input in helping me make the decision!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Rock on, congrats! Feel free to post up here if you need help getting the rear suspension dialed.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I weigh 175 and run about 140-145 psi in the Fox DPS and it seems about perfect.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112