spokes hitting caliper- Mtbr.com
    Occidental Tourist

spokes hitting caliper

we built up the ss incarnation last night and just as we thought we were done we realized some of the spokes hit the caliper. I didn't have much time to monkey with it last night but here are some considerations:

spacers on the phil hub I could rearrange?

spokes are currently 4 cross cuz i ordered spokes too long - maybe a 3 cross would help?

any other sugestions or tips would be greatly appreaciated.

Unrelated but I also need to get a wider bb - the 113 puts the cranks 2mm from the frame and the chainline is a bit off.

Also unrelated this bike feels GREAT as an SS
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    1. Massage the offending caliper portion with a Dremel. Dremel it, just a little bit.
    2. Go up one rotor size to move the caliper further away from the axle.
    Professional Amateur

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Washers to shim between the rotor and the hub

elbow gloves

Spacers on the caliper post?

could you put a spacer on each caliper post to move it up just slightl, similar to the suggestion to change the rotor size. I just looked at my juicy and I think you could space the caliper up 2-3 mm without negatively affecting the caliper pad contact. 3 cross might me messing you up as the longer spoke makes a shallower angle to the rim and the leading (outside) spoke is slightly is a touch wider than it would be in a 3 cross.

Aside from this goofy problem, beautiful build. How does the 2-9 unit compare to your explosif? I loved my unit and really like my RIG now but wish it had some of the ride characteristics of my unit and was steel.

Matt

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by kinkcrazy
    could you put a spacer on each caliper post to move it up just slightl, similar to the suggestion to change the rotor size. I just looked at my juicy and I think you could space the caliper up 2-3 mm without negatively affecting the caliper pad contact. 3 cross might me messing you up as the longer spoke makes a shallower angle to the rim and the leading (outside) spoke is slightly is a touch wider than it would be in a 3 cross.

Aside from this goofy problem, beautiful build. How does the 2-9 unit compare to your explosif? I loved my unit and really like my RIG now but wish it had some of the ride characteristics of my unit and was steel.

Matt
    Not enough saddle time to give an honest report yet and since i'm running 100mm up front for the first time ever, disc brakes for the 1st time ever and the jones bars it's hard to segregate what's doing what but the bike as a whole it quite fun. rails the turns and doesn't kick out as much on loose rocks and such like my explosif was prone to do. I'll do a real review when I've got some decent saddle time in.

And thanks to everyone for their sugestions. I think washers or a larger rotor will be the first attempt.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Maybe, but it looks like the caliper is already position as far outboard as the slots allow. Pushing the rotor over will just result in drag/rub/chime.
    good point. there is a little room to work with but not much. larger rotor is sounding better...

and i finally did locate this post i vaguely remembered but washers was the solution

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    Washers to shim between the rotor and the hub
    Maybe, but it looks like the caliper is already position as far outboard as the slots allow. Pushing the rotor over will just result in drag/rub/chime.
    Professional Amateur

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    1. Go up one rotor size to move the caliper further away from the axle.
    I'll second that option.

This "problem" seems to pop up every now and then on this board. Based on the larger wheels and braking needs - plus the potential for caliper spoke contact, I still wonder why people try and build bikes with the smaller rotors. Go directly to the 180-185mm size seems to be a more economical and safe direction to avoid potential "problems".

IMO...

BB

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I had the same problem on a new build and all it took was some pressure against the spokes to "seat" the spoke and straighten the pattern a little. Easy to do and won't cost a dime! Hope it helps if not see above posts!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Same problem for me with CK Disco Tech hubs and Juicy 7's

I had the same issue with CK hubs and Juicy 7's. I turned out that I had the rear disk adapter/spacer on the front hub. This may be the same issue with your setup. Not sure how Phil Wood spacers work. IMO, if a hub uses adapaters/spacers your always going to have issues. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by palmermtb
    I had the same issue with CK hubs and Juicy 7's. I turned out that I had the rear disk adapter/spacer on the front hub. This may be the same issue with your setup. Not sure how Phil Wood spacers work. IMO, if a hub uses adapaters/spacers your always going to have issues. Good luck.
    The CK issues historically have been more with front rotor/susp fork lower interference. I also have the Disc-O-Techs but looking at the Phils they seem to have the standard IS fixed rotor placement.

I believe the other poster referenced individual washers at each rotor bolt in between the hub and rotor. Me no likey.

Get the bigger rotor (and a matching front one ta boot). You should only need one new adaptor thought as the rear 160mm will work with front 185mm.
    Professional Amateur

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    good point. there is a little room to work with but not much. larger rotor is sounding better...

and i finally did locate this post i vaguely remembered but washers was the solution
    I picked up a few of these at my lbs during lunch. with any luck they will do the trick
    http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=757

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I am obviously missing something but, I do not see where shiming the rotor will keep the spokes from hittting if the caliper is in fact as outboard as it can go.....long day maybe I have missed an important fact ot two?

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by willi
    I am obviously missing something but, I do not see where shiming the rotor will keep the spokes from hittting if the caliper is in fact as outboard as it can go.....long day maybe I have missed an important fact ot two?
    the rotor is not as far out as it can go but it might not be able to go far enough out. i'll know in a few hours.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Any luck? The shims still look like you will have the rotor rubbing on the caliper since the caliper seems to be as far outboard as the slots will allow.

Occidental Tourist

so far so good

took 20 miles of abuse on south mtn today and worked just fine.