SPEED - Average and Max Speeds in town? - Hardtail Riders only please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SPEED - Average and Max Speeds in town? - Hardtail Riders only please

I would just like to know how fast typically you travel in town, and what your average speeds are like. NO ROADBIKE ANSWERS PLEASE, just hardtails, and I guess Full Susp can weigh in.

Typically I average (over the course of my whole trip on city streets with lights) anywhere from 25-35 km/h, and if I hit all the lights down some hills, or have a wind favoured flat section, I can get around 40-45km/h without totally gassing myself. These numbers are pulled from my phone GPS from a 15km ride that I typically finish a few mins shy of 30 mins

That being said the fastest I have ever gone is 59 km/h, and that took a lot of effort, luck with wind and streetlights down a hill, and the adrenaline rush of having just bought a new bike.

My reason for asking, is that I tend to get annoyed with fellow riders if we are going below 25km/h (mind you that is average, factoring in waiting at some necessary stop lights). I'm trying to make sure that if I think we are going too slow, that we aren't actually going some totally reasonable speed that I should expect a typical rider to travel.

NOTE: No need to back it up with screenshots and data, just don't be a dirty liar..

transmitter~receiver
    sorry... don't ride my mountain bikes in town.
    my Big Dummy is a hard tail I guess... and my Soma Double Cross is not a "ROADBIKE"
    on the Dummy I travel about 8-10 mph... lower if I'm loaded with 100 lbs. of groceries. my wife slows me down more than the groceries.
    on my DC I get about 15 mph at a comfortable pace. my commute to work is 13.5 miles and I average about 52 minutes. It is all the way across town.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not sure what the goal of this thread is. . .

25-35 km/h = 15.5 to 21.7 mph.

That is pretty fast average on a mountain bike. Fast enough to be on the verge of throwing the BS flag.

In many situations on a road bike (solo rider; normal road bike), an 18 mph average is respectable and a 20 mph average is not easy. Granted some group rides, races, TT, etc. will be higher average speeds - but those are not the normal, everyday stroll through town.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post

That is pretty fast average on a mountain bike. Fast enough to be on the verge of throwing the BS flag.

In many situations on a road bike (solo rider; normal road bike), an 18 mph average is respectable and a 20 mph average is not easy. Granted some group rides, races, TT, etc. will be higher average speeds - but those are not the normal, everyday stroll through town.
    You gotta get out more...

When I didn't have a car, I averaged 20mph, on the road, on a 32# MTB. 20 mi. in one hour, every Tuesday.

Anymore I avg. 15-16mph with climbs and all that, and my max is 50mph (on a hill). On the flats I can do 18mph for ~10mi, but I need motivation - that's too much like work.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Sorry I did look in my phone and i've actually never hit an average speed over 31.5.

My intention wasn't to try to puff my chest. I have a friend who has been getting into biking, we've been riding together recently,and long story short, it kinda annoys me to ride with him because I feel like I'm always waiting up for him or slowing down when we are in town.

Just trying to get a feel for what a typical rider thinks is a normal speed on flat road. The trails are just outside the city and i live in the middle, also my bike is my car...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    You gotta get out more...

When I didn't have a car, I averaged 20mph, on the road, on a 32# MTB. 20 mi. in one hour, every Tuesday.

Anymore I avg. 15-16mph with climbs and all that, and my max is 50mph (on a hill). On the flats I can do 18mph for ~10mi, but I need motivation - that's too much like work.

-F
    Considering too, if you can't avoid a certain number of major intersections from A to B. Unless the roads aren't busy, you spend a meaningful amount of time not running red lights when traffic is in force, which means your peak speed is obviously way more than 15-16mph on a typical ride. I didn't think my numbers sounded crazy. And wow thats 80km/h, pretty impressive. though I'm guessing it had to be either a really long, or really steep hill haha.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by KyamBoi View Post
    ... really steep hill haha.
    Really steep.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I broke 50 mph on my Pugsley once.

ECR
    carfree
    Sep 2013
    Typically I average (over the course of my whole trip on city streets with lights) anywhere from 25-35 km/h
    25 sounds reasonable and 35 sounds respectable. I currently average 35km/h round-trip on a 50km paved loop in the city riding my tricycle and this includes several street crossings as well as a couple 5min breaks along the way to stretch and hydrate, but then my tricycle only has 16" wheels. I certainly don't expect to average 35km/h on my ECR with those 29+ wheels, but that would be awesome!

mtbr member
    Doesn't sound like BS...seems like about the speed a good sport level racer would ride.

Looked up my speeds, all with Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25" SnakeSkin tires.

Normal Average: 20.0 mph, no interruptions, one hour, no wind, circular course. (Racing Ralph 2.25)
    Max Ever: 58.6 mph, tailwind, 11% grade. Every bike I've ever owned (road, cross, or mountain) feels much different when you hit 50-55 mph. Some sort of creepy, quiet, stability.

I've average up to 15.5 mph in a entirely off road mountain bike race. (1.5 hours, 2900' climbing).

Race at a reasonably high level.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

I just checked my stats, I average 18.6mph. I mostly ride solo and I believe that this is a pretty good average
    Last edited by Max24; 03-09-2015 at 11:18 PM.

WillWorkForTrail
    Just checked, mind you this is a single speed, not a geared bike. But since I run 2.25 tires on it and ride trails with it, I figure it counts, even if it is rigid. I specify round trip here for these numbers. Average speed 12.0 mph. Top speed 39 mph. Remember, this is a single speed, round trip, so yes, that top speed was down a mile long hill, and yes, I had to ride back up the hill on the way back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I avg 14.6-15.0 on a 5 mile stretch of right of way. My best avg on that segment is 18.6mph... on platforms mind u. I'm curious to how SPD pedals will effect avg speed.

My fastest flat road sprint is 23.1 mph on platforms for 0.2miles

psycho cyclo addict
    In 8,745 miles / 14,074 km of logged rides (work commutes, trails, MTB races and urban rides) I've averaged 9.57 mph / 15.40 km/h overall on three 29er's.

My 5 fastest average hard tail speeds with large volume 29er tires during the last year:

Outta town:
    18.5 mph / 29.77 km/h for 13.1 miles (constant crosswind both directions)
    16.7 mph / 26.88 km/h for 13.1 miles (~15 mph head wind)

In town:
    16.0 mph / 25.75 km/h for 30 miles - a fast ride through Virginia and Washington, DC
    15.6 mph 25.1 km/h for 30 miles - ride in Maryland and DC
    15.1 mph / 24.3 km/h for 23 miles - ride in Maryland and DC
    Last edited by edubfromktown; 10-16-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Without discussion of wind and terrain this is really a pointless discussion. I am a pretty solid A+ rider on the road and have had good results in as a CAT 2 racer in the woods.

My commute to work is 16 miles. Not flat but rolling. On a road bike, hammering, I can do it one way at about 19.5 to 20. The other way is 18.5 to 19.0. Point here is prevailing wind and terrain play into this in a huge way. To talk about how fast you average without any of the other info is senseless.

This puts nothing into the fact of doing this in a group. Same ride with a group typically adds 1 to 1.5 mph avg.

Back to the OP. If you freind is slower than you, push a bigger gear and make it harder. He will eventually build up enough strength to hang on. If you continue to drop him all the time, he will likely quit.
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light

transmitter~receiver
    You guys are insane bad asses... either that or we're not talking anywhere near apples-to-apples when it comes to "in town."
    I can't average those speeds in town on a motorcycle.
    In town to me means stop signs, lights, etc., with some stretches on 45 mph collector roads.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    You guys are insane bad asses... either that or we're not talking anywhere near apples-to-apples when it comes to "in town."
    In town to me means stop signs, lights, etc., with some stretches on 45 mph collector roads.
    Not bad ass, maybe a litte insane and definitely possessed to hammer on occasion (definitely not every week). 3 out of 5 of the rides that I posted were in town...

Occasional pink lights and some stop sign slackin (primarily 4-way side streets with no traffic), lots of paths, some stairs, a few drop offs, various paved trails that you can haul butt on, particularly in cold weather (or days with threats of bad weather that didn't materialize) when significantly less people are out and about. 3x9 gearing...

AZ
    banned
    I would like to know what tires these roadie like mph's are being attained on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I push anywhere between 18kph to 38kph, with an average of around 24kph on my 72km round trip, (so up and down hills, into and with the wind) on my Spec Enduro 26er. Generally a 3 hour ride.

ECR
    carfree
    Sep 2013
    Slicks :-)

Schwalbe Kojaks up front and a Greenspeed Scorcher in rear.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by ECR View Post
    Slicks :-)

Schwalbe Kojaks up front and a Greenspeed Scorcher in rear.
    Again, it's an apples-to-apples thing. I can go to my local high school and do laps on the track crit style and it is "in the city." Not even close to riding across town with traffic, lights , stop signs, etc.

ECR
    carfree
    Sep 2013
    Again, it's an apples-to-apples thing. I can go to my local high school and do laps on the track crit style and it is "in the city."
    Or maybe you could just get you a tricycle with 16" wheels. I live in a condo downtown metro and ride out to the burbs and back. Admittedly we have good bike lanes, but everyone's route is going to be different so what's your point?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ECR View Post
    Or maybe you could just get you a tricycle with 16" wheels. I live in a condo downtown metro and ride out to the burbs and back. Admittedly we have good bike lanes, but everyone's route is going to be different so what's your point?
    I am not sure what your recumbent has to do with average speed on a mountain bike. You should blow everyone away on your "tricycle". Laying back, feet first is far more aerodynamic than the position on a mountain bike or a road bike. It also puts your head at the same level as a car bumper - great plan there .

ECR
    carfree
    Sep 2013
    You should blow everyone away on your "tricycle". Laying back, feet first is far more aerodynamic than the position on a mountain bike or a road bike.
    And that I do, but as stated in my initial post regarding 29ers, "25 sounds reasonable and 35 sounds respectable...I certainly don't expect to average 35km/h on my ECR with those 29+ wheels"

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    I run (Stan's tubeless setup) Racing Ralph 2.4 EVO front and 2.25 EVO snakeskin rear on FS and HT (GF's 29er hard tail too); 2.4 EVO's on rigid steel SS. I do not own a road bike and haven't ridden one since the 1980's.

My hard tail weighs ~25 lbs. I weigh just under 195 lbs.

For city rides, I pump my tires up ~28 psi and carry two water bottles. It took me a couple years of weekly (minimal stopping but not necessarily fast) city rides to be able to maintain a pace of 15 - 16 mph over some number of miles. I started riding SS on the trails a couple of years ago. Within ~3 months of riding SS weekly, I was much stronger climbing on pavement and trails. As time went by, mixing SS rides in has also improved my overall endurance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Mine are just the stock mountain tread that came on my Wahoo, with a years worth of wear, inflated a bit higher for in the city. Mind you, just about every ride I take, I have a backpack that weighs anywhere from 10-20 pounds with me too, (two locks, usually a computer, extra water, and any other gear/tools).

And thanks for all the replies everyone. Someone had a great suggestion to just gear up and make it harder on myself. I'm just so used to riding solo, not having to wait up for anyone, that having to bring my tempo down even 15-20 percent gets on my nerves.

And to the guy talking about this discussion as "pointless not factoring in wind". These aren't official time trials we are talking about. Traffic is different at all times of the day, you can run lights at some times, others not, and occasionally i hit every light going down the biggest hill on my rides. Just trying to approximate my expectations to travel a given distance in a reasonable time (aka, what is a respectable average speed). Like I said, I time myself just about every time I ride, and compete with my times when I'm going to the same destination repeatedly.

Just like my pal Ricky Bobby, for my rides in town, its all about "going fast".

psycho cyclo addict

These aren't official time trials we are talking about. Traffic is different at all times of the day, you can run lights at some times, others not, and occasionally i hit every light going down the biggest hill on my rides. Just trying to approximate my expectations to travel a given distance in a reasonable time (aka, what is a respectable average speed). Like I said, I time myself just about every time I ride, and compete with my times when I'm going to the same destination repeatedly.

Just like my pal Ricky Bobby, for my rides in town, its all about "going fast".
    Yeh it is a rare but good day when the stars align and lights go green everywhere unexpectedly. I map my rides an keep a log of miles... don't use strava and generally don't compete with my past times.

I am patient with others as it takes some time to ramp up to the pace so I don't mind going slower and letting them draft.

Occasionally I feel the need to hammer at full bore for 5+ miles and maintain max output

SPEED - Average and Max Speeds in town? - Hardtail Riders only please-zone5.jpg

mtbr member
    I suspect the average speeds are average moving speeds.
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    37 mph

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    Oh. To me average speed is the distance travelled divided by the time it took me to get there.
    Go figure

mtbr member
    I only ride road when I have to, and this was one of those times.

Singlespeed hardtail 34x19 on Maxxis Ikons

SPEED - Average and Max Speeds in town? - Hardtail Riders only please-strava-road.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    I don't know exactly what you meant, but I think that you think we are saying average speed while we are moving? No I'm talking about average speed. Distance travelled over time.

mtbr member
    I don't know exactly what you meant, but I think that you think we are saying average speed while we are moving? No I'm talking about average speed. Distance travelled over time.
    Strava for example uses moving time, as opposed to total time, to calculate what they state as "average speed" for a given ride.

Trail Ninja
    I typically do 13 mph average (25-28 mph max) over 2 hours on my single speed on mostly flat paved stuff. Not really my strong suit, but trying to improve it.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."