Specialized EPIC Comp. 2016 vs. 2017 - Need urgent help for buying- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Specialized EPIC Comp. 2016 vs. 2017 - Need urgent help for buying

Hi!

I want to buy a new Specialized Epic MTB.

Assumed both had the same price, which one is better/would you choose (and why)???

the 2016 model:
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...comp-29/106374

or the new 2017 model:
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...sr-comp/115215

Thank you for your opinion!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The 2017 seems like it has a bit more robust component spec, less house brand stuff (raceface cranks etc). But the main thing I like is that the 2017 has the 11 speed drivetrain over the 2016 10 speed, so all things equal I'd go the 2017.

There's always next year.
    More to the point... who’d trying to sell you 2016 models with 2017 models at roughly equivalent prices (if in USD)? I think there’s more to maybe ponder if the ’16 is marked down, but if they are indeed the same price, I’d go with ’17.

I know it was unasked/stated, but as a former Epic owner... make sure you know that’s a bike with racing/going fast first and foremost. In stock form, its not exactly a bike that will suffer fools or mistakes in more technical terrain and trails. Loved mine, but I can see that its not everybody’s cup of tea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I will try to get a 20% discount on the 2016 model.

That would mean for the 2016 model, 2.400,- instead of 3.000,-

The 2017 modell is 2.800,-

So considering the 400,- saving, the 2016 model is a good choice, right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    One thing more ... As far as i know, the 2017 model has no BRAIN-functionality anymore. I'm not sure whether this is pro or con.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    As was pointed out, this is a race bike, make sure that is what you are looking for. I do not mean the statement as a negative in any way, I have one myself and very much like it as a race bike. As a overall trail bike with no racing, I might consider something else.

According to the web site, there is a brain on the rear shock. At the comp level, there is not a brain in the fork but that is not new either. In prior years, the brain could be retrofitted into the fork for a modest cost, I would assume this is still an option. Try it first before going with the conversion, you might find that you see no need for it. I did the conversion with mine but I leave it turned down quite a bit for most race courses so I question just how much of a difference it really makes overall.

One think to consider is that the brain system needs servicing at regular intervals and your local shop will not be able to do it. Both my shock and fork get sent in to Specialized each winter at a total cost of approximately $300. Neglect the annual service and you might find you have reliability issues. It is a neat system for a race bike but it needs care and feeding.

I love my bike but your opinions might be different. To your original question, if the prices are close, go with the 2017. If heavily discounted, the 2016 will serve you very well and leave some room in the budget for a carbon wheel upgrade which really transforms the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No brain is a no brainer at this level. Go 17 and skip the Send the brain back to Specialized only.
    You should contact some different shops managers for a 30% discount at least. Figure the price and add tax. Ask them is they can work with you to get a deal done around that price for cash. Want the 17- sub in 18%.

mtbr member
    Whoa, no Brain??? That's a big plus, IMO. I like them fast and dumb. Seriously, the Brain may be good for XC racing, but not so good for plushness and trail riding. I usually road the Epic with brain fully faded.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Looks like 17 still has the brain.

https://specialized.com/us/en/bikes/...sr-comp/115215

There's always next year.
    Pretty sure all the talk of ‘no brain’ has been focused around the front shock, NOT the rear. The lower stock Epics have always lacked Brain forks up front. For me, that was fine, because I’ve always preferred a softer front shock.