specialized epic 29 VS 2010 Niner Jet 9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

specialized epic 29 VS 2010 Niner Jet 9

trying to decide, any opinions.

Underskilled
    Bush likes the JET, does that help?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Well option of carbon with the Epic, you get the brain instead of a little lever to lock your shock out, Spesh has fantastic CS with a nation-wide dealer support, the S-Works is supposed to be in the low 20s weight wise. With the jet, I like the colors more and the CVA suspension looks cool. For some reason I really want an AIR9 and RIP9 but I know for a fact that Ill be better off with a SJ FSR because it has a brain versus the ProPedal (I like the brain more) and I live 20 minutes from a full on Spesh tech center that can do blah blah blah and this and that and take laser measurements to make your bike fit absolutely perfect then tune your sus to be absolutely perfect no matter what etc. With Niner I get one shop that carries a few niner frames, Ill end up most likely having to order my size and color so then I might as well go buy one off the net and if I have issues I have to go to Niner instead of 1 of the million spesh dealerships to get support. I learned my lesson with buying products, in paintball a company released what I believe to be the best hopper at the time, a DXS Pulse. They ended up geting threatened by another company for patent violation and stopped producing them. My shell breaks and now I have a $100 paperweight that was only a few months old. Im not saying Niner is going to disappear, Im just saying the Epic is comparable or better (depends on who you ask, but I wouldnt say its worse ever) but you you easily be able to get help when you have an issue like a seal in your shock or fork goes out prematurely or your frame cracks.
    05 Spesh Rockhopper

Naturally Organic

2010 or 2011 Specialized?

Quote Originally Posted by leonidas 119
    trying to decide, any opinions.
    I have seen close out prices on the 2010 Sp. Epic Comp. If you are looking for the Marathon, a little harder, but may be possible.

As far as travel, you are comparing 80mm to 90mm. Which travel is more suited to your terrain? Which one feels better as far as fit?

As for my opinion, if money is not an issue, the 2011 Specialized Epic. Any model that fits your style. I like how the 2010 Epic pedals, the geo fit me, the angles are good, the brain was okay, but it needs to be dialed in to really work well...that will take more time for me than demos allow. The 2011 aesthetics are sweet IMO. The variety of choices is plentiful.

My $0.02...

mtbr member
    '10 Epic is 90mm of travel, '11 is 100mm.

Naturally Organic

Yes, my friend, you are correct!

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    '10 Epic is 90mm of travel, '11 is 100mm.
    It's been edited...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    the S also has 142 rear wheel spacing and direct mount f der.

mtbr member
    I've been trying to decide whether to consider the 142mm rear spacing a net positive. I'm sure it performs well and yields as stiffer rear triangle and wheel. But, it means virtually no after-market wheel options, and incompatibility with all the wheelsets I already have. Kind of like the Lefty: performance is great, but do I really want to own one? (Not a rhetorical question, I'm really not sure!)

banned
    Sep 2007
    If you buy a Jet, you can outfit it/build it any way you want, for components. That's priceless. There are many that can service a RP23 shock themselves, try getting seals for a Speshy shock. And if your brain goes on the fritz in a couple of years, versus a Fox, which can always either be rebuilt or sent off to Push for the royal treatment.... Just saying.... there are advantages and disadvantages to both. I'm tired of dealing with bike shops and their minions, myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Does the Epic have a 70.5 degree headangle? If so, it gets my easy vote over the Jet for way more stable geometry on rough and steep trails. The CS is also not too long. I hear the Epic pedals very well and climbs very well. Based on two fast bikes but better geometry, I'd go with the Epic, even though I really like the CVA suspension.

mtbr member
    2011 Epic has a slightly revised rear suspension geometry too. I think I read that it's supposed to allow slightly less use of the brain to combat pedaling input. Should lead to slightly more small bump compliance.

So they say...

I'm looking forward to the new Epic. I love the Marathon I'm on but can't resist all the new bells and whistles.

Cheers!

lookin' for a hill
    Anthem X 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Epic for me too.

\m/ \m/
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    If you buy a Jet, you can outfit it/build it any way you want, for components. That's priceless.
    You can buy an 11 S-Works Epic frame and build it up with whatever you want.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Naturally Organic

Frame or Frameset?

Quote Originally Posted by Blade-Runner
    You can buy an 11 S-Works Epic frame and build it up with whatever you want.
    Are you getting just the Frame (Frame & Rear Shock)? Or, is it the frameset (Reba Fork, Rear Shock, Headset, Stem, Seatpost, Seat Clamp & Rear Hub)?

\m/ \m/
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce9er
    Are you getting just the Frame (Frame & Rear Shock)? Or, is it the frameset (Reba Fork, Rear Shock, Headset, Stem, Seatpost, Seat Clamp & Rear Hub)?
    Getting the Frame, Fork and Seatpost.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat and paddling towards the Epic!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade-Runner
    Getting the Frame, Fork and Seatpost.
    Interested in how you're swinging this since I don't see it offered this way.

On the website it shows this coming with a rear hub (as well as all the other stuff Duece9er listed) which you'll probably need because it's a new hub standard (142+).

Thanks!

\m/ \m/
    I am getting the "frameset" he left out the seatpost.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FalloutMan
    Im not saying Niner is going to disappear, Im just saying the Epic is comparable or better (depends on who you ask, but I wouldnt say its worse ever) but you you easily be able to get help when you have an issue like a seal in your shock or fork goes out prematurely or your frame cracks.
    Niner handled the Jet warranty recall better than I've ever seen another cycling company handle any other major recall. Just pure class. If anything, I'd be more confident that Niner would handle my issues than Specialized.

Sup
    Im getting the frame set - carbon rovals and at terralogic fork
    should be a good race bike
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Very, very, pricey!

Naturally Organic

$4400

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Very, very, pricey!
    Could be...
    $4400 for the frameset, but that includes the Reba Brain...
    http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/5224664...05002/sizes/m/
    Sorry for junk cell phone pic...

FYI - $4400 is for the S-Works frameset...

mtbr member
    Specialized has the new bikes up online now...

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...nuItemId=14871

I believe that's the one you're getting?

Nice ride! Love the green/black combo. Wish they were selling that as a complete bike too!

$4400 is suggested retail. I hope you're not actually paying that!

I've got the complete bike on order. Can't wait to ride it!

Naturally Organic

... and if we just ... Thank You!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    Specialized has the new bikes up online now...

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...nuItemId=14871

I believe that's the one you're getting?

Nice ride! Love the green/black combo. Wish they were selling that as a complete bike too!

$4400 is suggested retail. I hope you're not actually paying that!

I've got the complete bike on order. Can't wait to ride it!
    Thank you so much for the link. Looks so much nicer. Sweet. Yes, the Flo Yellow. I asked if they could do the complete bike...just switch out the Frame and sell the other as a Frameset...Nope. Oh well. Thinking about the Edge XC 28h Tubeless-Friendly Carbons with some DT-Swiss compatible hubs and some Aerolites, should be less than 1400g if my calcs are correct (or even close). As far as retail, the price is not a concern...Thanks again!

Sup
    I'm going with the alloy frame set
    not against carbon but I cant justify the cost
    those wheels are sweet and I think they will make a bigger difference than frame weight
    shooting for between 24 and 25 lbs
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Does the frameset come with the 142 rear hub spacing? or just the complete bikes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nikwashere
    Anthem X 29er
    For sure..

Naturally Organic

Includes Rear Hub

Quote Originally Posted by smoen81
    Does the frameset come with the 142 rear hub spacing? or just the complete bikes?
    The S-Works Frameset includes all the items I posted previously (Frame, Fox Brain Rear Shock, Reba Brain Fork, Headset, Stem, Seatpost, Seat Clamp & Rear Hub)...not sure about the other Frameset models, sorry. Check the website.

Sup
    the alloy has a headset, 142 spacing, and a thomson seat post
    no bb30 and no fork
    I like fox forks better anyway
    I am slow therefore I am

COMBO - President
    I have both a JET and RIP, never bother to use the Fox RP23 lockout because the CVA suspension just will not bob on a climb. I had the Epic 26er with the Brain, gimicky.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    thanks fastk. how is it in a sprint? any bob or flex in the rear tri?? How about the creak issues?

COMBO - President
    No flex on either bike, no creaking, both frames rear triangles are not flexing at all under my 170lb riding weight and gear. I ride with several guys riding RIP that are over 200 and they just love the bike. Nobody has to use the rear lockout the CVA is just amazing.

I only get bob from my Reba XX fork in a sprint but it has a remote lockout, I would prefer a Fox like my JET has.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoen81
    All Epic 29er's have the 142 rear hub spacing.

The new Epic allow frame looks pretty sweet too!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sounds good, leaning toward the jet.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Weight / Racing

If you plan to use this as a race bike, get the Epic. If you'll just be going fast with friends, save some coin and get the Jet. I own a Jet, Black Sheep HT, Indy Fab, Yeti and so on. I like bikes and I ride them alot. I've spent a lot of time on the Jet and I do use the lock out, contrary to what has been said on this forum. If you're climbing, and pinning it, you'll bob. The Jet is a great frame and I've enjoyed it for really long endurance races, but it's heavy.

Either optoin is great, depending on your needs. Horses for courses. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I will be using it for endurance events, Its actually more expensice than the epic though.

banned
    Aug 2010
    Jet 9 without a doubt. The suspension design actually does what it claims and doesn't need a crutch (brain shock) to make up for the *****ty suspension design.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by weather underground
    Jet 9 without a doubt. The suspension design actually does what it claims and doesn't need a crutch (brain shock) to make up for the *****ty suspension design.
    Yeah, whatever.

The Mini Brain and FSR actually does what IT says it does too. And what it does is really, really good for racing.

If you can pop for the cash, the carbon Epics are a notch above in stiffness and weight. I actually really like the JET-9, but the Brain is unique.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    Yeah, whatever.

The Mini Brain and FSR actually does what IT says it does too. And what it does is really, really good for racing.

If you can pop for the cash, the carbon Epics are a notch above in stiffness and weight. I actually really like the JET-9, but the Brain is unique.

This is all true, Mike... but, whens the last time you laid out your coin for a Brained Epic... just saying... money changes everything. Speshys are not in the JeffJ's or RandyBoy's budgets, maybe not in your budget either, or the OP's.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    This is all true, Mike... but, whens the last time you laid out your coin for a Brained Epic... just saying... money changes everything. Speshys are not in the JeffJ's or RandyBoy's budgets, maybe not in your budget either, or the OP's.
    Money does not change the statement that the Brain is some kind of a bandaid fix for a bad design....unless all the bikes with ProPedal, and the JET-9 is one of those...are band-aided bikes too. That was what I was speaking to.

And yes, I do think the JET-9 needs ProPedal to work like I want it to. YMMV.

However, if the budget only allows for a bargain JET-9 from all those satisfied customers who moved on to other stuff, then that works for me. I did not read the whole thread to see if the OP was budget minded. In any case, the value is there in a carbon Epic frameset, even if the cash to make it happen is not.

I do like the JET-9, but I would not buy one. I would buy a RIP-9, though.

PS: What part about this did you not get, apparently? If you can pop for the cash, the carbon Epics are a notch above in stiffness and weight.
    Blog Ramblings

Naturally Organic

Budget

A few posts earlier he states it is more expensive than the Spesh...

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce9er
    A few posts earlier he states it is more expensive than the Spesh...
    You'll notice, also that Mtroy didn't answer my question about would he pay for a Speshy himself... or if he has the coin for one. I like to be able to service things myself, shocks, wheel builds, bearings, drivetrains, etc. I'd have a hard time getting spare parts to do so with a Speshy. YMMV, as I stated before, I'm tired of dealing with bike shops that don't stock what I need, internet sales has served me way better than my LBS, time and time again.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    You'll notice, also that Mtroy didn't answer my question about would he pay for a Speshy himself... or if he has the coin for one. I like to be able to service things myself, shocks, wheel builds, bearings, drivetrains, etc. I'd have a hard time getting spare parts to do so with a Speshy. YMMV, as I stated before, I'm tired of dealing with bike shops that don't stock what I need, internet sales has served me way better than my LBS, time and time again.
    Sigh.

Would I buy one with my own money? Yes. I like it more than any other FS I have owned/tested/rented etc.

Do I have the money to do so? None of your business, is it?

Now, I agree that the Mini Brain is a proprietary item. I have mentioned that as a potential negative in test reports, etc. If it begins to fail all over the place, that would suck.

The rest of the bike is just parts like any other bike's parts. I service all my own stuff too.
    Blog Ramblings

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    Sigh.

Would I buy one with my own money? Yes. I like it more than any other FS I have owned/tested/rented etc.

Do I have the money to do so? None of your business, is it?

Now, I agree that the Mini Brain is a proprietary item. I have mentioned that as a potential negative in test reports, etc. If it begins to fail all over the place, that would suck.

The rest of the bike is just parts like any other bike's parts. I service all my own stuff too.
    Cool! Speaking of which, do you still need to borrow my Avid Bleed kit for your Juicys? I did end up doing a bleed job up there at Mammoth, to get rid of some sponginess, as well as replace all my DOT4 in both lines with new brake fluid.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Cool! Speaking of which, do you still need to borrow my Avid Bleed kit for your Juicys? I did end up doing a bleed job up there at Mammoth, to get rid of some sponginess, as well as replace all my DOT4 in both lines with new brake fluid.
    Yeah, but I want to get the o-ring kit first and I still don't have that. Too many irons in my fire.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    going for the jet

Naturally Organic

... and if we just ... Nice

Quote Originally Posted by leonidas 119
    going for the jet
    Have you checked out the Salsa Spearfish?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Does anybody know if the Epic 2011 can handle regular aftermarket wheelsets?
    With the new 142+ rearhub thing. I read in a German Bike Magazine, that it could, but my local Specialized dealer says it cant.... Anybody???

Sup
    you need a rear axel kit to run your old wheel set
    142mm only
    I know you can make 17mm american classic - chris king - I9 - roval work with a kit
    got the frame on order
    if you look at the close up of the rear axel on the frame set on there web you can see there is no way to run a standard 135 wheel
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Maybe I will just build up new rims on the hubs.
    The standard wheelset is supposed to be quite heavy.
    Anybody knows the weight on the comp wheelset? (450rims)

Sup
    what wheels you trying to run?
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    AM Classic. I have seen some "how to change" blah blah, but I dont want thar solution. My LBS that sells S bikes says that It wont work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Weight difference?

Does anyone know the weight difference between 2011 Epic 29er carbon and 2011 Jet 9 (frame weight only)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Does a 142 wheel work on 142plus Spec.

I am running a Haven 142x12 wheel on a 142 plus Specialized rear end. It works fine. I did not need to adjust my brake caliper. I did have to adjust the limit screws as the hub diameter is a little shorter on the drive side of the Haven Hub. If you can tune a derailleur you can run an after market 142 hub.

I agree with mtroy, the Specialized Epic is an awesome ride. It is longer and lower then the JET9 even though geo. numbers may not show that. It has a very broad range of adjustment from hard tail firm to fairly plush due to the BRAIN. I have a 120mm fork and Haven cock pit on it and it rides like a really fast trail bike. I also have the stock 100mm set up and it feels much more like a race bike.

The JET9 needs to be tuned to a sweet spot. It is simple to set up and it is true the shocks can be serviced any where by a descent mechanic. I also agree with mtroy in the fact that it would be nice to have the option to run an after market shock on the Epic as when the brain has to get serviced it would be nice to have a back up shock so there is no down time.

Here is a picture to show the 142 x 12 haven on the Epic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails specialized epic 29 VS 2010 Niner Jet 9-scaled-haven-142x12-spec..jpg  

specialized epic 29 VS 2010 Niner Jet 9-spec-haven-side-scaled.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome looking bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by caoboto
    I am running a Haven 142x12 wheel on a 142 plus Specialized rear end. It works fine. I did not need to adjust my brake caliper. I did have to adjust the limit screws as the hub diameter is a little shorter on the drive side of the Haven Hub. If you can tune a derailleur you can run an after market 142 hub.

Here is a picture to show the 142 x 12 haven on the Epic.
    Interesting to have it set up like that. Are those alum or Carbon Havens? What does it weigh?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

gcavy1

They are Al. Easton Havens. I have no idea on the weight. The stock bike weighed about 27 LBS. It probably didn't lose much if any weight. The bearings are noticeably smother on the Easton wheels. The 142x12 axle and Haven combo is really stiff as well. I cant say I would recommend this set up for most people. I guess if you were going this route I would say get a Stumpjumper and lighten it up. But the Epic set up like this is still really fun. I appreciate the extra ground clearance and it still handles surprisingly well despite the slack head angle. With this set up I am finding it easy to find the limits of the 4" rear end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So, one season later, how do you feel about your choice? I'm in the same boat right now of a JET vs. Epic. I've done 2 seasons on a RIP and in my races/rides, too much travel. Interested in how you feel about your choice.

COMBO - President
    I ride my RIP all the time now as my Jet had shifting setup issues. Niner was kind enough to warranty the Jet and let me upgrade to the RDO. I won't get the RDO until December, so the RIP is my only ride. No complaints at all though. If I only could have one bike the RIP would be my first choice.

meow meow
    rode an 11 epic 29 yesterday. really fun, fast bike. surprisingly nimble too.

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 Epic and love the sh$t out of it. Also, it has 100mm of travel, not 90mm. I almost, bought the 2011, but got a deal on a used one.

I tested many bikes before deciding on this one.

mtbr member
    I LOOOVE the Epic. I came from a fully active bike and it took a few rides to get used to the way the bike worked but now that I am used to the way the bike works and I love it. Fast and stiff.

The Epic uses a 142 plus rear hub meaning the Specialized hub flanges are actually 2mm wider as according to them it make a stiffer rear wheel. I built up a 142 Chris King rear hub with 3x lacing/14/15 double butted spokes and have had no issues what so ever. There are many companies out there making 142 spacing hubs that will work.

As far as the Brain it does work really well. Yes it depends on if you want a fully active bike or a semi active bike. The brain controls have fast/slow the shock starts it's movement. Yes it is proprietary for the frame but the Brain has a FIVE year warranty. I wouldn't call it a bandaid fix by any means as who else has a frame that you can ride more like a hardtail or control how active you want it? Sure you have to dial your rear shock for what trail you are riding but I like that. Most of the rear shocks out there are tuned for each manufactures frames anyway.

As for Niner I give them another year and they will be out of business. Seems like every frame they make has had a high failure rate. "Sure we will warranty it....but we won't have a frame for you for at least 6/8 months but...we'll give you another frame if you want that but...we won't..."

Members who have read this thread: 0