Specialized Camber Expert carbon OR Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon SPX?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Specialized Camber Expert carbon OR Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon SPX?

I did a test ride of the Camber carbon 29er and was really hooked, I was thinking purchasing one ($5300) but I found a good deal for a Tallboy with 120mm fork at $4800. Any recommandations?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Tall boy has a better platform for pedaling.

I think Camber relies on the lockout. This question depends on what you are looking for.

Also, there is a good market for second hand Stumpjumper, Epic, and tallboy. But Camber is not as "hot", so your second hand value should be considered (that is if you plan to sell in a short timeframe).

Freelance Whatever
    I've ridden a short link style (Anthem, Pivot) and the Camber and I came away rather impressed with the Camber. You can get more bike for your money (although at the Carbon level, not as much) but the responsive nature of the "new" Triad, and the lower end Rock Shox Ario (I think) make the rear feel much stiffer than I expected. Mix in the lack of an anit-squat on the Camber and I think it's a pretty good bike for the money. Resale may not be high, but I know it was hard to get the Camber Pro last year as it sold pretty well. Ymmv
    What I do for a living doesn't define me....

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    I think Camber relies on the lockout.
    not true. good pedaling technique is key. both are good pedalers, just with fsr you have to be aware of your pedal stroke. if you are apt to mash and get wild go for a vpp system. i rode a tallboy and camber back to back and if you remain nuetral each pedaled great (btw i ended up on a stumpy fsr).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am a XC racer who is looking for a trail bike as a second ride. I had a more all-mountain orientated bike formerly, an Ellsworth Epiphany, the ICT suspension is working fantastically but is always active and after 3 hours, I was really tired riding this bike. I have XC genes and I can't bear that.
    I've been very impressed by the Camber going up-hill, this bike is at the same time way more fun going down than my XC bike (hardtail 29er). Well, the definition of a trail bike IMO!
    I was thinking that for less money I could have a lighter Tallboy that would be even more efficient going up and as fun than the Camber going down. I will try to demo a TB soon, but believe me, the geometry of the Camber is really dialed and the suspension are very well balanced, so the TB has to be very good! I'm sure that the new carbon Cambers will be soon as popular as the Epic or Stumpjumper FSR!
    It is true that the TB has a better resale value, I will bring back this bike home in Europe, out there the TB FRAME ONLY cost 3099 Euros, that's more than $4000. So the complete bike at $4800 is a real bargain!

I was also thinking of the new Ellsworth Evolution but I could not do demo it and I don't want anymore buy a bike of that price without testing it. I'm sure that after a test ride I would not have bought the Epiphany (which is a really good and very solid bike but not meant for me...). That's a pity, I've heard a lot of good things about the Evolution!

Keep on Rockin...
    Good points Vince...

Matching a trail bike's suspension design to the rider's underlying strengths, preferences, and trail type is important. Some riders want and will benefit from a suspension with linkage supported "platform" - like the TB. XC/hardtail riders, out of the saddle mashers, gravitate toward these bikes. Some riders fully embrace the full squish, ride accordingly, and have no desire to give up any suppleness in their suspension, even if that means they have to deal with more bob and wallow.

Only you can determine whats best for you.

Personally I like the idea of multi-link, bikes, with their chain torque induced platform for XC applications. I was a long time single speeder and HT rider way back when and like out of the saddle mashing when riding XC. However, for trail to AM riding I'm a full beliver in a super supple, active suspension design - and Specialized's design is awsome for this application. IMO the Brain is just an overly complicated lockout that I do not want. If I want to lock out my bike for a smooth, out of the saddle charge, I'll flip the switch. I run a 2011 FSR Stumpy 29er. Love it for trail-AM riding. The suspension soaks up the hits very well, and the harder I pedal through the rough, the smoother the suspension feels - and that is what you might loose with multi-link bikes.

Like you said, "I have XC genes..." so I'd say the TB might be a better fit for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Good points Vince...

Matching a trail bike's suspension design to the rider's underlying strengths, preferences, and trail type is important. Some riders want and will benefit from a suspension with linkage supported "platform" - like the TB. XC/hardtail riders, out of the saddle mashers, gravitate toward these bikes. Some riders fully embrace the full squish, ride accordingly, and have no desire to give up any suppleness in their suspension, even if that means they have to deal with more bob and wallow.

Only you can determine whats best for you.

Personally I like the idea of multi-link, bikes, with their chain torque induced platform for XC applications. I was a long time single speeder and HT rider way back when and like out of the saddle mashing when riding XC. However, for trail to AM riding I'm a full beliver in a super supple, active suspension design - and Specialized's design is awsome for this application. IMO the Brain is just an overly complicated lockout that I do not want. If I want to lock out my bike for a smooth, out of the saddle charge, I'll flip the switch. I run a 2011 FSR Stumpy 29er. Love it for trail-AM riding. The suspension soaks up the hits very well, and the harder I pedal through the rough, the smoother the suspension feels - and that is what you might loose with multi-link bikes.

Like you said, "I have XC genes..." so I'd say the TB might be a better fit for you.
    Thanks for your input. I will test the Tallboy, it will definitively help me to make a decision!