Specialized- Mtbr.com

Thread: Specialized

Rider
    Oct 2009

Specialized

Hello folks,

I've done some reading on the site concerning the 2010 Specialized 29 HT Comp. My reading was conducted primarily out of the Specialized forum. Of course, it generally got favorable reviews.

I suppose I'm curious how riders of other brands feel. The Spec seems to be a good value for the cost but I wouldn't mind spending a bit more if I thought I'd enjoy a noticeably better bike.

Would the Specialized compare favorably to a bike like an Air9 for instance - or other "premium" brands?

t

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    you are talkin about the stumpjumper rite??? and in the $1800-2000 range i guess?

mtbr member
    I would not compare specialized to niner, sure 29ers are great, but even though I absolutely detest any bike company with theme stores, Niner isn't equivalent to Specialized and doesn't deserve the clout everyone gives them just because they brought a bunch of ebb'd tig welded taiwanese hardtails to the masses. If I could get a frontal lobotomy, I guess I'd ride an sworks over a niner. Otherwise, I would steer you away from both of these nig-nogs and support a smaller builder. Like soulcraft or rock lobster or your local bonghit bike builder who will be your friend, riding buddy, drinking ace and appreciate your support much more than any of the corporate coolio cali suckas over at niner or spec.

Rider
    Oct 2009
    Yes, sorry, I am referring to the Stumpjumper.

freebiker - I agree and I would prefer to buy a custom made/small company built bike but cannot afford it.

To be honest, I feel a little goofy even asking the original question.

t

The Other Dude
    You can always jump up to the Stumpjumper Expert Carbon if you are looking for more than what the comp offers. You not only get a carbon frame, and some nice components(rear wheel/hub especially), but you also get a tapered headtube/fork combo, along with a press in BB setup. I do have to say that the Comp 29er is the smoothest riding alloy 29er that I have ridden to date.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

ballbuster

Second that...

Quote Originally Posted by freebiker
    I would not compare specialized to niner, sure 29ers are great, but even though I absolutely detest any bike company with theme stores, Niner isn't equivalent to Specialized and doesn't deserve the clout everyone gives them just because they brought a bunch of ebb'd tig welded taiwanese hardtails to the masses. If I could get a frontal lobotomy, I guess I'd ride an sworks over a niner. Otherwise, I would steer you away from both of these nig-nogs and support a smaller builder. Like soulcraft or rock lobster or your local bonghit bike builder who will be your friend, riding buddy, drinking ace and appreciate your support much more than any of the corporate coolio cali suckas over at niner or spec.
    Good bikes, horrible company. They are evil, IMO. I've owned two Specialized bikes, and both were great bikes. I'm not going to ever give the big S a red cent again, tho. Do a search... its been covered like crazy.

Niner is good. You can probably build a Niner for close to that, but it won't be a bling build.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    well, i am not sure how one can recommend a $1700 frame when someone is looking for a complete bike in that range.

and, i am not going to bash companies, pretty much every large company out there has been bashed.

i would strongly suggest you look at the mamasita complete bike over at speedgoat. they are closing out the 09 stuff and you can get a mamasita with a reba 80, xt build for $2000, free ship/no tax.

also, i think the specialized sj comp ht is more comparable to the emd9. speedgoat has some"specials" on the emd9 and air9 as well.

if you think custom is a slight possibility, check out walt works. his frames run about $1400, but he offers complete build pricing that is just off the hook!
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Although I own an S-Works HT 29er and a Stumpy Comp 29er and totally enjoy them both, for the price range you're looking at I would take a good look at the Scott aluminum HT. I think the Scott offers a higher spec at a little lower price.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Good bikes, horrible company. They are evil, IMO. I've owned two Specialized bikes, and both were great bikes. I'm not going to ever give the big S a red cent again, tho. Do a search... its been covered like crazy.

Niner is good. You can probably build a Niner for close to that, but it won't be a bling build.
    Oh, sheesh, give it a rest already.

Spec is a good company that stands behind their bikes.

Go ride the bike and see if it fits. Then compare it to others, like the Scott, the Niner and others to see what works for you.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Disagree...

I think this is totally obsurd. You bash Niner because they don't have the 'clout' of Specialized and then you recommend the OP goes with an even smaller bike builder? Where is their 'clout' level? There is absolutely nothing wrong with supporting companies who have successfully built their business to the point where they can produce a lot of quality bikes to 'sell to the masses'. They have distinct advantages over your local homegrown bikebuilder -- like capital to invest in R&D so the small bike builder's have something to copy. All of these 'buy American!' sicophants don't realize the disservice they do to American companies. Try buying the best, and if you're a small American company or custom builder BE the best and your product will be bought.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I will 2nd the Salsa Mamasita from Speedgoat. It's more bike for your money. I posted basically the same question back in December and am very happy some people suggested the Mamasita.

mtbr member

ok

Last edited by freebiker; 02-11-2010 at 12:57 AM. Reason: not nice

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I owned a 2009 Stumpjumper 29er Comp. It's a fine bike with a solid spec. It was not my primary bike though. I have a custom steel singlespeed also which is what I ride/race 75% of the time. I rode and raced the stumpjumper and I have no complaints about the bike other than the sliding dropouts which I didn't care for. The 2010 doesn't have the sliders though so you wouldn't need to worry about it. I upgraded a couple of things such as the shifters (X0 twisters) and handlbar (wider Salsa carbon). I did sell the bike last fall but only because i needed a little cash and knew it wouldn't get ridden during our sloppy muddy winters anyway. I plan to buy a 2010 stumpjumper (either the carbon expert or the comp) this year.

I should disclose that our race team is sponsored by a Specialized dealer so we do get exceptional prices on our bikes. Most folks on our team race the stumpjumper comp 29er at mtb races and the tricross during cross season.

I have no experience with Niner bikes.

mtbr member
    Wow, Niner's finally made it big. The "bike snobs" have started categorizing them in with the big boys and saying go with an even smaller bike maker. Congrats, Niner!

Rider
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the replies.

I bought a 2009 Marin Nail Trail. I like it and got a good deal.

t

ballbuster

You mean...

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    Oh, sheesh, give it a rest already.

Spec is a good company that stands behind their bikes.

Go ride the bike and see if it fits. Then compare it to others, like the Scott, the Niner and others to see what works for you.
    ... their 'lifetime' warranty on the frame? What a joke.

Read the fine print. The 'frame' is the front triangle, and the rear is considered 'suspension linkage'. Guess what breaks most often? When they do break under warranty, they don't pay the shop for tear down and rebuild... pretty much sticking the shop with the expense.

Members who have read this thread: 0