Spearfish versus Scott Spark- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Spearfish versus Scott Spark

I will keep it simple. Looking to do some XC racing..or not. Looking for a bike that will be an adequate XC race, but would serve as an everyday driver as well. I have narrowed it down to two choices:

Salsa Spearfish 2
    or
    Scott Spark 29

I am debating between the Team and Elite versions of the Scott. If I went with the Team, I would replace the wheels and possibly the shock.

Opinions? Pros and Cons?

ANY help is appreciated!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I went with the Scott for the longer warranty. Salsa's is only 3 years. I went with the Elite, and put some Stan's Crest wheels on her. Rides great, plus being able to lock out both shocks is incredible. Paint job on the Scott is boring, I'll give that much to the salsa
    Hammerheadbikes.com

mtbr member
    Looked seriously at both (and Tallboy). In the end I went with the Spearfish. Read a lot of great reviews and the lack of reviews on the Spark just made me shy away.

Also felt like the standover was higher on the Spark (and I do tend to take it on some technical stuff). Did not see myself using the dual lockout, so that was no biggie at the time. In fact I ended up getting the front lockout on the Reba XX I put on the fish and have NEVER used it on the trail (yet). Maybe I'm just not used to having it?

You probably can't go wrong wither way, but I am certainly happy with my Fish purchase.

I cant remember, is the Spark 100mm in the rear? Fish is 80 but I have ridden it 85% of the time since I bought it. My 6" bike barely makes it out of the garage now unless I ride the real rough stuff.

shut up legs
    fish, fish, fish
    '15 Salsa Bucksaw | '15 Advocate Lorax | '17 509 Cycles Jabitt III | '15 Advocate Watchman Ti | '15 Advocate Watchman | '17 Advocate Seldom Seen | '93 Giant ATX 760 | '85 Ross Mt Whitney

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Looked seriously at both (and Tallboy). In the end I went with the Spearfish. Read a lot of great reviews and the lack of reviews on the Spark just made me shy away.

Also felt like the standover was higher on the Spark (and I do tend to take it on some technical stuff). Did not see myself using the dual lockout, so that was no biggie at the time. In fact I ended up getting the front lockout on the Reba XX I put on the fish and have NEVER used it on the trail (yet). Maybe I'm just not used to having it?

You probably can't go wrong wither way, but I am certainly happy with my Fish purchase.

I cant remember, is the Spark 100mm in the rear? Fish is 80 but I have ridden it 85% of the time since I bought it. My 6" bike barely makes it out of the garage now unless I ride the real rough stuff.
    I had a Small El Mariachi that was right on the cusp of being too little...One of the biggest things holding me back on the Spearfish is that no dealer has it in stock to ride.

I have read that even though the geo is nearly identical, the Spearfish felt smaller to some.

Top tube length is almost a full inch longer on the Spearfish from small to medium..so that is a concern.

I have a Scott dealer with an Expert in stock that I can ride..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
    I had a Small El Mariachi that was right on the cusp of being too little...One of the biggest things holding me back on the Spearfish is that no dealer has it in stock to ride.

I have read that even though the geo is nearly identical, the Spearfish felt smaller to some.

Top tube length is almost a full inch longer on the Spearfish from small to medium..so that is a concern.

I have a Scott dealer with an Expert in stock that I can ride..
    Did you ask the LBS if they would bring one in and build it up? If they sell quite a few Salsa bikes I'm sure they would.

I was just in the exact same boat as you deciding between a Spark and a Spearfish (http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/fu...4k-781079.html). For me it came down to value as they both felt great to ride. I could get very similar components on a Spearfish 2 as I could on the Spark Expert, except the Expert was over $800 more (although it did have a carbon frame).

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/my...sh-781885.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/sp...rt-782175.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    I have read a ton of reviews on the Spark and all are awesome. Most say the Spark Elite is an awesome machine. I am looking at Scott bikes as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raven1911 View Post
    I have read a ton of reviews on the Spark and all are awesome. Most say the Spark Elite is an awesome machine. I am looking at Scott bikes as well.
    So....I ended up with putting money down on a Scott Spark Pro. Got a deal I couldn't pass up. Ride report next weekend!

Members who have read this thread: 0