This sounds stupid...26" wheels on 29 frame- Mtbr.com
    Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

This sounds stupid...26" wheels on 29 frame

At least I thought it sounded stupid...but then again it is my idea.

I've got an older 18" 26er. I'd ride it, but I've got a better 26er that I prefer. I want to take all the parts of the old 18" bike and put them on a smaller frame for my girlfriend but seriously...29ers are the future.

So I'm broke, but I might be able to eek out enough for a frame. I thought I'd pick up a Extra Small 29er frame then put the 26" parts on it...wheels and all.

BB Height will be pretty darn low, but I might be able to raise it a bit with a longer 100mm fork on the 29er.

Ok ..it still sounds stupid...right?

You know, for kids
    It does sound stupid

You can't do it if you're using rim brakes

If you do it, please buy some 29" wheel ASAP. The bike will not handle correctly with 26" wheels, it will still be plenty rideable but the handling will not be as intended. Not only will it be stupid, it will look pretty stupid. The wheels will look too small and you are right, the BB will be pretty low. It's best to use the wheels meant for the frame.

You can buy a decent set of 29er wheels starting around $200.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

Virtus pre nummis
    I think your missing the point of the 29" wheel and it's attributes!

mtbr member
    yep

808+909 = Party Good Time
    It's the wheels that make a 29er a 29er... so what your suggesting is just a really poor handling 26er.

Ya probably gonna get better value if you buy a whole bike. If 29ers are the future then sell ya other two bikes, save ya pennies and get a whole bike. Some frames will cost you more than a cheap 29er.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I'll just buy another 26" frame then.

Why? Because it's nearly impossible to sell a 26" bike these days. Especially a classic 95' GT Zaskar. Everybody either wants a 29er or full suspension. Apparently a 24lb hardtail with v-brakes doesn't interest the casual buyer. That means I've got to sell a bike worth $300 to me for $100. Not worth it.

So I can sell the frame for $50, maybe even $35. Not a huge loss because I've got a whole other 26er ready and waiting. (Won't sell the other 26er for sentimental reasons).

However, I still need a bike for my girl to ride. She can't ride anything bigger than 15", so all of my current 19"+ bikes are out of the picture. I've got no money, so I can either buy a frame for under $100 or try to trade my GT.

I'm not going to "save my pennies" because I want to ride with my girl this spring. I am also not planning to "save my pennies" because I'm not even sure how much my girl will like riding, so I'd rather minimize the initial investment. However I want her on the best bike I can afford, which is a 1995 GT Zaskar still in my basement. If it was a 15" frame I'd be golden.

See...minimizing the initial investment is key.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Your crank arms would come uncomfortably close the ground.
    adam michigan karate monkey

bike-zilla
    worst of both worlds. Possible but not practicable

mtbr member
    Dont listen to them. Do it and post lots of pics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody

Why? Because it's nearly impossible to sell a 26" bike these days. Especially a classic 95' GT Zaskar. Everybody either wants a 29er or full suspension. Apparently a 24lb hardtail with v-brakes doesn't interest the casual buyer. That means I've got to sell a bike worth $300 to me for $100. Not worth it.

So I can sell the frame for $50, maybe even $35. Not a huge loss because I've got a whole other 26er ready and waiting. (Won't sell the other 26er for sentimental reasons).

However, I still need a bike for my girl to ride. She can't ride anything bigger than 15", so all of my current 19"+ bikes are out of the picture. I've got no money, so I can either buy a frame for under $100 or try to trade my GT.

I'm not going to "save my pennies" because I want to ride with my girl this spring. I am also not planning to "save my pennies" because I'm not even sure how much my girl will like riding, so I'd rather minimize the initial investment. However I want her on the best bike I can afford, which is a 1995 GT Zaskar still in my basement. If it was a 15" frame I'd be golden.

then don't go after the casual buyer. If you are more than just a casual seller you might be able to find someone specifically interested in a retro bike like that and get more money for it. Otherwise $100 sounds right for you what you can expect to dump it for on a local craigslist

The only other option I can think of is to keep saving money till your funds are closer to matching your goals

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Your best bet is to just go on Ebay and buy a used 15" frame - I saw a Specialize, Haro and Felt on ebay with a quick search and just sell your 18" frame. Too many problems trying to fit 26" wheels on 29" frame including the bottom bracket being way too low.

V-Shaped Rut
    If you don't have money and want to minimize investment, buy a 26er frame like you mentioned. Who gives a **** about resale of a beater frame and a bunch of used parts?Ride it, love it, hate it, throw it off a cliff. Maybe in that order. Or maybe not.

have a chat to the guys on the vintage retro forum... they will know where to post ya 95 frame. Sounds like a cool frame.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I think alot of the issue with my frame on retro forums is that it's not in mint condition. It doesn't have stickers, has a few dents, etc.

Those guys love time capsules.

If it has dints and looks roughed up then you can in no way expect full price for it. If it looks unsafe then people aren't going to be diving at it.

Can you just dump the seat on the 18" and your GF can just ride that until she decides she likes riding or not? That way it costs you nothing.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Those guys love time capsules.
    If you were into 50's Chevys, would you be looking for the rotted out, non running hulks behind sketchy garages, or the well preserved ones, under tarps in old barns?

Since there's so little market for 26" wheeled bikes, it should be noted that finding a cheap one for your girl, should be a snap, no?

Agreed though, it'd just be a weird handling bike with little wheels on it. Do it piece by piece, while still riding your GT. Buy a frame, save. Buy wheels, save. Buy fork, strip old bike, build, sell frame to help defray extra costs....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Underskilled
    I have actually done this, so ulike most people actually know what I am talking about.

My frame arrived a month or so before my wheels, wasn't going to wait.

The thing rode fine.

So in the short term, no problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You can do moar barspinz.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    CaveGiant, did you take any pictures of the abomination?

Mendon, I'm building the bike for my GF and she's 5'5"..i think.

Bedwards Of The West
    I've done it too.
    ...more out of necessity than any sort of a desire to do it. (that's what she said)

I have a cyclocross frame for my commute, and while I was saving up for my 29er wheels I threw a pair of 26" mtb wheels on there (I was going with discs anyway, so brakes were a non issue). It was faster for the commute than a full suspension MTB, which was my only other option.

It worked....the geometry didn't even feel weird. But the BB height was crazy low. I slapped my pedals on anything and everything. I learned really quick that I couldn't pedal into any turn, ever. I couldn't pedal over speed bumps, potholes on my dirt road, etc. I tolerated it until I could affort the big wheels, but it's not something anyone should ever do by choice. A true 29er frame might offer a bit more clearance than my 'cross bike, but you're still going to smack your pedals on everything if you do any kind of a trail.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    29er's aren't necessarily "the future" with a person 5'4". It could be argued that a 5'4" rider is better served on a 26er anyway. My girlfriend is 5'4" and I built here a 26er which fits her well. Purchase a cheap but good 26er 15" frame on feebay along with an inexpensive 165-170mm crankset and move the parts as you propose would be my suggestion.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Regardless of this idea's extremely high stupidity level or whether or not you're actually going to go through with this stumpy armed monster of a bike. I think you need to post the same question in every single Twenty McNiner manufacturers thread as an attempt to even out the number of "can you fit a Twenty McNiner wheel on an Ibis Mojo?" type threads that seem to run rampant on this website.

It'll be quite simple. Just pick your favorite Twenty McNiner model from that particular manufacturer and post up your scenario. Then watch all the insightful dialogue that will follow, albeit in reverse logic from the 26'er to Twenty McNiner wheel swap.

Afterwards thank everyone for responding. Maybe quote a few of the more aggressive folk who actually agree and throw up pie charts and 'angle of attack' graphs. Then hit them all with the question:

Twenty McNiner tires on a 26'er rim?

And then watch this site crash.

Here's your girlfriends new bike BTW:

Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 01-28-2010 at 01:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Your best bet is: take a leave from biking, go to college, get a job, buy a new bike.
    Sit and spin my ass...

don't try this at home
    or just re-lace those hubs, if they're decent, to larger rims. though you may find a better deal getting a pre-built wheelset. or do what i did and buy a small salsa el-mariachi on ebay for a grand for her. parts on that alone cost more then the bike. hope to sell wifeys old trek hardtail for cheap too on c-list.
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    Just sell the bike on Craigslist and buy a correct fitting 26er. If you get $100 for the GT, then buy something a little newer for $200 and then you don't have much investment.

example:
    Specialized Rockhopper

I just sold my 96 Rockhopper for $120 on Craigslist. The guy said he had been looking for a bike in that year with the chromoly frame because he likes the way they ride. Put it up on Tuesday and sold by Wednesday night.

Underskilled
    CaveGiant, did you take any pictures of the abomination?

Mendon, I'm building the bike for my GF and she's 5'5"..i think.
    Nope,

I should be clear, it is only worth doing if you are saving up for some 29er wheel.
    Fitting 26" wheels to a 29" frame will throw the geo off, it will still ride, but not as well as a 26" frame with 26" wheels.

The tip above of relacing your hubs to 29er rims is a good one. Wheel building is easy.

Members who have read this thread: 0