mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Sorry to do this: Revolver vs Top Fuel vs 429sl

So im looking at some used Fs bikes. I dont have a lot of ride time on any FS bikes so im more questioning the different suspension characteristics and where they are good or bad.

Fit wise, im 6ft 34" in seem short torso and long arms. I have a large Vertex now and like the fit.

My biggest hopes are something that pedals well over rooty sections, good traction up techy climbs and of course something nice in the rough stuff. I ride in Southern Ontario and range from flat flowy hardpack to super rocky and a good amount of roots.

The pivot is kind of a new lust for me as I found a nice used one but its slightly over budget but I would make it work.
    It seems to be long in the back and short in the front.
    Ive heard amazing things about the DW-Link but im concerned about how long the back is Coming from my Vertex (although I find steep seated climbing hard to keep the nose down)

Revolvers: Ive seen alot of fast people on them. and the geo looks alittle more like what im used to. But I know nothing about how the suspension is other then reviews that I take with a grain of salt.

Top Fuel 9.8 : Not thrilled that it isnt a full carbon frame but I hear the rear end is pretty awesome. The 9.8 stock is alittle heavier then I would like but Im sure the revolver is going to fall into the same range for the price range.

So any help on the performance of the different rear ends would help alot.

Thx

Elitest thrill junkie
    I really like my 429SL, it's Pivot's "race" bike frame and it works ok for a trail bike for flatter and less aggressive areas of the country (US). Even if I lived in one of those I'd want a bit more travel like the 429 Trail, because I'd inevitably be doing road-trips to places with funner trails. It climbs like a rocket, I can put the power down from just about any situation and "power out of" stuff that would normally bog me down on other bikes. Because of the AS, the nose stays down just fine, the bike will climb over stuff that stalls out my DW enduro bike that has 27.5 wheels. I find the 429SL is extremely nimble with light wheels and tires too. Lots of people think you need seatstays shorter than 17" and stems shorter than 40mm, and those all can be helpful, but my 429SL pops off of everything super easy, and I attribute that largely to the low rotating mass of the wheels I put on it. I'm 5'11" on a large with around 33-34 inseam and I definitely do not want a smaller frame. I got the bike primary to race on, for everything from our local racing season to 100 mile endurance races. It's great for all of this stuff and it did exactly what I wanted for all of this. I got my best race results ever last year too.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I love my 429SL. I'm a fat ass so mine is built a bit burlier. It is way more bike than I should be allowed to have. I climbs great and doesn't get hung up on rocks and roots when hammering, like the DW Split Pivot Spearfish it replaced. I'm 5' 11" with a 32" inseam on a large.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Mach 429SL is way stiffer than Top Fuel. The Trek just rolled log crossings. The 429SL sails over them:
    Sorry to do this: Revolver vs Top Fuel vs 429sl-ctt_bike.jpg
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Trail Junkie
    Having been around both bikes, my LBS selling Norco, Yeti, and Trek down the street...

Trek is going to be a pretty capable "Race Bike" with the Norco Revolver and 429SL in the same segment. I had a friend break a 429SL 3 times, and Pivot took care of him every time, but he's a heavier set guy. He's now on a Revolver and hasn't had a single warranty, so there's that.

However, I do have a problem, or should I say an annoyance with so many brands picking up the FSR Horst link when the patent expired, Norco being one of them. They're not bad suspension, but a dime-a-dozen in terms of options. I do believe the DW-Link is a superior suspension from my own experience.

I won't deny Treks ability to make a fast XC race bike, and decent bikes in general, I just don't like the brand, and some of the things they do like the BB92 press-fit and proprietary shocks.

You stated that your big hopes is for a bike that pedals over rooty sections, traction on techy climbs and rough stuff and super flowy........have you looked at he Ibis Ripley...either standard model or LS? You'll get more travel but very very race capable with a 5.5lb frame. Its a very efficient trail bike.

I have the LS 2.0 and love the bike, the eccentric version of the DW-Link pedals slightly better than the small-link version IMO, and takes a threaded BB.

Where it may give up a little bit to say the Revolver but probably nothing to the Trek 9.8, the Ripley will come out ahead in every technical situation you put them head-to-head...and probably cheaper than both. If you're looking for a bike you can race and travel with....its worth putting it on your list if it wasn't on the radar before.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I should haven mentioned this will be my race bike. I have zero ibis dealers any where near me so I will probably stick to brands I can get to for any issues.

mtbr member
    Depends on you and your racing. I know a very good racer who switched from a Top Fuel to a Fuel EX, which he felt was more suited to him and the courses.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I really like my 429SL, it's Pivot's "race" bike frame and it works ok for a trail bike for flatter and less aggressive areas of the country (US). Even if I lived in one of those I'd want a bit more travel like the 429 Trail, because I'd inevitably be doing road-trips to places with funner trails. It climbs like a rocket, I can put the power down from just about any situation and "power out of" stuff that would normally bog me down on other bikes. Because of the AS, the nose stays down just fine, the bike will climb over stuff that stalls out my DW enduro bike that has 27.5 wheels. I find the 429SL is extremely nimble with light wheels and tires too. Lots of people think you need seatstays shorter than 17" and stems shorter than 40mm, and those all can be helpful, but my 429SL pops off of everything super easy, and I attribute that largely to the low rotating mass of the wheels I put on it. I'm 5'11" on a large with around 33-34 inseam and I definitely do not want a smaller frame. I got the bike primary to race on, for everything from our local racing season to 100 mile endurance races. It's great for all of this stuff and it did exactly what I wanted for all of this. I got my best race results ever last year too.
    Thanks, I have been searching your posts for a few days now lol. The pivot wasnt on my list at all until I came across it so I have been doing a ton of info gathering to see how it would work for me.

Things I like about my current bike it its pretty livley with the 433mm stays but also a pain in the but if I want to sit and spin up a hill. that leads me to stand and mash most of my races and then I cramp up. MY cannondale Flash was 443mm and I really did notice the diff on the first climb. Im pretty useless for wheelies and manuals so im guessing the pivot wont make me any better at those with the length but I just hope it doesnt feel sluggish in the quick transitions.

Heres what I have found that on my list

in CAD
    17 Pivot xx1 full fox factory with stepcast 100mm and dropper but with 1700g wheels set
    23-24lbs (depending on wheel/ tire combo)with dropper and pedals. Full Next SL crank bars stem and E-lockout on the fork/shock. Also brand new xo1 cassette, chainring, chain,shifter, rotors and guide R brakes. $4800

17 Norco 9.2 (cause I love the color so much) 25.5 ish with out peddals all stock with MT8 brakes and a carbon bar. $3200

17 Trek 9.8 Top fuel all stock $3900

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I had a Pivot 429 (non-SL) and it made a very good race/trail bike (I ran 120 fork). It wasn't quite as light as other options, but I really enjoyed it on the more technical courses. DW-Link was A+ suspension.

This past year I raced on a Top Fuel 9.8. It was super light and an excellent race bike, but I really didn't enjoy it as much, especially on technical stuff. It's a fine bike, but suspension felt stiffer even at proper sag. The one button for both remote lockout was nice.

If I were solely racing, I would go with the Top Fuel. If I wanted to ride more technical trails, I'd go with the Pivot. Granted, my teammate rides his Top Fuel on some crazy rough courses and does fine, so it really comes down to personal preference.

mtbr member
    All good points Fontarin. My 16 Top Fuel has upgraded carbon wheels and a dropper. I don't notice any flex on the aluminum rear swing arm as the bike feels super stiff with the carbon hoops.

I'm not a super wide handlebar guy but if you put a 780 or 800 on it, that would add to it's capability too.

The lockout is awesome and I use it quite a bit it makes the bike like a rigid hardtail on smooth fire road climbs. Two modes: full travel or locked out both F/R!

I think the Trek does outperform it's travel weight class as I have done XC, lift serviced terrain and enduro riding at Kingdom trails VT and it handles them all very well.

Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    I had a Pivot 429 (non-SL) and it made a very good race/trail bike (I ran 120 fork). It wasn't quite as light as other options, but I really enjoyed it on the more technical courses. DW-Link was A+ suspension.

This past year I raced on a Top Fuel 9.8. It was super light and an excellent race bike, but I really didn't enjoy it as much, especially on technical stuff. It's a fine bike, but suspension felt stiffer even at proper sag. The one button for both remote lockout was nice.

If I were solely racing, I would go with the Top Fuel. If I wanted to ride more technical trails, I'd go with the Pivot. Granted, my teammate rides his Top Fuel on some crazy rough courses and does fine, so it really comes down to personal preference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Went with the pivot. It had the best spec of the 3 option/price. Should be able to get it down in the 22 range once the dropper is out and some lighter wheels.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Went with the pivot. It had the best spec of the 3 option/price. Should be able to get it down in the 22 range once the dropper is out and some lighter wheels.
    You won't be disappointed, it's a great bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Jayem surprised to read your on a large. When I look at the numbers the Medium is the same as the other large XC bikes I've had.

I'm about yout dimensions. 5'11'' with shorter legs 32'' inseam.
    OG Ripley v2

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Jayem surprised to read your on a large. When I look at the numbers the Medium is the same as the other large XC bikes I've had.

I'm about yout dimensions. 5'11'' with shorter legs 32'' inseam.
    I had a couple bikes I was cramped on, looking at the reach on the 429SL and comparing it to my large Turner, it was a no-brainer to get the large. I think we were "conditioned" by shops and companies to always downsize in the 90s when in-between, but modern geometry with dropped top-tubes, normal-length headtubes, and short stems, makes it much easier to "upsize" when you are in-between, and then when I was thinking about where I'd spend most of my time, racing and riding, it makes a lot more sense. The only way I'd get on a smaller frame would be for a downhill-only bike. Plus, my exposed seatpost is pretty much right on, any smaller of a frame and I'd be running way too much for sure. Even with my 160mm dropper on the bigger Turner the collar is about 5" up.