mtbr member
    Jun 2018

New question here. Sooo Many Choices!!! Please offer some suggestions?

Alright here's another one of those "what do I buy threads".....

I was sooo close to buying a 2019 YT Jeffsy 29 Base today...like I had it in the cart, card ready...but I refrained.

So, here's my dilemma, I want a FS bike, period done deal...but I've got a VERY strict budget of no more than maybe $2600, and that's pushing it.

I know there are many used options, but most of them don't really want to ship a bike, and if possible I'd prefer new, if for no other reason I'd get a factory warranty...and new bike smell of course.

I love the Jeffsy, but before I drop the cash, I want to make sure I've looked into as many options as I can (within my budget of course).

About me:
    -40 something novice rider, but trying to learn...
    -Riding basic singletrack near me, nothing huge just basic green/blue trails with rock gardens and techy root bits and skinny's here and there...all of which I'm failing in glorious fashion riding...but with each spill comes a lesson.
    -I will likely never ride a downhill park like Whistler for example.

Bike Wish list:
    -29er seems to be the best choice for me, I'm comfortable on my existing 29er XC Trek hardtail
    -A bike that has decent enough components from the factory, so that I don't have to upgrade pieces right away
    -I'd prefer a 1X drivetrain, I have a SRAM NX Eagle on my fatbike, and I dig it a lot.
    -A bike that has modern geometry, so that if/when the upgrades happen, the bike is worth upgrading.
    -A bike that can take the kind of abuse a new and very inexperienced rider will likely do to it (slamming into stuff, frequent wipe outs etc...LOL)
    -A bike that climbs good...this is very important to me, I won't be getting bike lifts or shuttle runs anytime soon, and if possible a bike that descends confidently too...being new, I'm trying to make sure I don't go OTB too often.

Now, before anyone says it, I know, good bikes aren't cheap, and cheap bikes aren't good....but certainly there must be something out there for my budget of $2600 right???

Soooo, please, I could use some suggestions on some other brands/models to go read about, and if it ends up being the Jeffsy...so be it (damn sexy bike btw...my opinion of course )

Thanks!!

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by BassistBiker View Post
    Alright here's another one of those "what do I buy threads".....

I was sooo close to buying a 2019 YT Jeffsy 29 Base today...like I had it in the cart, card ready...but I refrained.

So, here's my dilemma, I want a FS bike, period done deal...but I've got a VERY strict budget of no more than maybe $2600, and that's pushing it.

I know there are many used options, but most of them don't really want to ship a bike, and if possible I'd prefer new, if for no other reason I'd get a factory warranty...and new bike smell of course.

I love the Jeffsy, but before I drop the cash, I want to make sure I've looked into as many options as I can (within my budget of course).

About me:
    -40 something novice rider, but trying to learn...
    -Riding basic singletrack near me, nothing huge just basic green/blue trails with rock gardens and techy root bits and skinny's here and there...all of which I'm failing in glorious fashion riding...but with each spill comes a lesson.
    -I will likely never ride a downhill park like Whistler for example.

Bike Wish list:
    -29er seems to be the best choice for me, I'm comfortable on my existing 29er XC Trek hardtail
    -A bike that has decent enough components from the factory, so that I don't have to upgrade pieces right away
    -I'd prefer a 1X drivetrain, I have a SRAM NX Eagle on my fatbike, and I dig it a lot.
    -A bike that has modern geometry, so that if/when the upgrades happen, the bike is worth upgrading.
    -A bike that can take the kind of abuse a new and very inexperienced rider will likely do to it (slamming into stuff, frequent wipe outs etc...LOL)
    -A bike that climbs good...this is very important to me, I won't be getting bike lifts or shuttle runs anytime soon, and if possible a bike that descends confidently too...being new, I'm trying to make sure I don't go OTB too often.

Now, before anyone says it, I know, good bikes aren't cheap, and cheap bikes aren't good....but certainly there must be something out there for my budget of $2600 right???

Soooo, please, I could use some suggestions on some other brands/models to go read about, and if it ends up being the Jeffsy...so be it (damn sexy bike btw...my opinion of course )

Thanks!!
    out of curiosity:

where do you live?

are there shops selling good bikes there and have you ridden any of them?

if so, what did you think?

my inclination is to buy whole bikes from brick and mortar shops.

i'm also partial to marin bikes. this is their 29er version of the hawk hill:

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/201...29-rift-zone-3

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    out of curiosity:

where do you live?

are there shops selling good bikes there and have you ridden any of them?

if so, what did you think?

my inclination is to buy whole bikes from brick and mortar shops.
    I live in Madison WI

Yeah there is a plethora of bike shops in town, most carry the "big 3" Trek, Giant & Specialized.

Specialized, nothing I rode I really enjoyed..just my opinion.

Trek, rode the Fuel EX 5+ decent bike, but was a 27.5 (though I did dig the plus tire) and I wasn't in love with the 1x10

Giant, rode the Trance 3...quite a bike for $2000, I liked the Maestro suspension, but not a fan of the fork (maybe just a setup issue?), and the drivetrain felt cheap? Dunno just didn't feel like a clean shift, sorta crunchy and not terribly smooth.

The other bike shops in town don't really specialize in FS Mountain bikes, or carry stuff that's just plain out of my price range by a mile.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Rocky Mountain Element Alloy 30. Although that's SLX drivetrain, not NX.

Check out Shore Line Cycle World in Hartland, WI. They deal Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, Transition, Scott, Evil. Not cheap bikes though.

I know you don't want to hear it but 2600 gets you a pretty nice Hardtail

jcd's best friend
    Transition Sentinel NX at Evo.com. $2600 right there

Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel | Transition Scout

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For your area and level of skills I'd suggest a Stache. It climbs and descends great while you have a fun time. Plus tires or 2.6 at low pressures will be a major improvement over the skinny rims and tires on your Marlin 5. You will stop crashing plain and simple. A real fork is the other big difference. You don't need fs to have a good bike. You haven't been riding one with your current setup.

since 4/10/2009
    I live in Madison WI

Yeah there is a plethora of bike shops in town, most carry the "big 3" Trek, Giant & Specialized.

Specialized, nothing I rode I really enjoyed..just my opinion.

Trek, rode the Fuel EX 5+ decent bike, but was a 27.5 (though I did dig the plus tire) and I wasn't in love with the 1x10

Giant, rode the Trance 3...quite a bike for $2000, I liked the Maestro suspension, but not a fan of the fork (maybe just a setup issue?), and the drivetrain felt cheap? Dunno just didn't feel like a clean shift, sorta crunchy and not terribly smooth.

The other bike shops in town don't really specialize in FS Mountain bikes, or carry stuff that's just plain out of my price range by a mile.
    A pointer that can help further discussion.

Setup is HUGE on bikes, and especially so when you're talking about full suspension bikes, and bikes with more suspension travel. Proper suspension setup can take several rides and potentially months of tweaking. Do not EVER expect suspension components to be 100% dialed right out of the gate for a demo ride or a test ride. The shop SHOULD spend a little time setting air suspension to a ballpark number based on your weight. It won't be right, but it should be close. If the suspension isn't right for you, by all means use the adjustments to see how they change the behavior of the suspension. Maybe ask the employee to change the air pressure (more or less).

You'll also be lucky if a bike's drivetrain is 100% dialed for a test ride. If it's a bike that's been sitting on the sales floor for awhile, especially if it hasn't been ridden for awhile, it's likely that the housings have compressed a bit and it's out of adjustment. The longer the bikes are out there, the greater the chance that a hanger will get bent because it got bumped, or an unruly child was running through the shop and knocked a bunch of stuff over. Mechanics should adjust the before sending it out on a test ride, but they're not likely to adjust derailleur hanger alignments every time. It's common enough for shifting imperfections to be indistinguishable on the workstand, but show up when there's a person on the bike pedaling it. Those are things that any decent shop will catch and address before selling the bike. If you notice stuff like that during a test ride, don't write the bike off entirely. Bring it up to the employee who's helping you out so they can address it.

In much of the midwest, you're going to be hard pressed to find any shop with extensive selections of full suspension mountain bikes. It can be hard enough to find shops that do respectable business in mountain bikes at all. I'm sure you're well aware that road shops are a dime a dozen. It definitely doesn't help with making a good decision on which model.

I'm not particularly a fan of sending new riders off to buy bikes online, either. For a more experienced rider who has ridden lots of bikes, with a wide variety of components and geometries, purchasing a bike online isn't such a big deal because the bike isn't a COMPLETE unknown. In cases like yours, however, in some ways you don't know what you don't know. It's easier to find that after you get the bike, that it wasn't the right purchase. And sometimes that isn't immediately obvious. It can occasionally take quite awhile to figure that out. It happened to me once, and I thought I knew what I was getting. It was a small detail with the frame, but it became a real pain in the ass after dealing with it for a year or so. So I sold the frame and had to spend more money on a different one.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If local is not working out some online places have decent return policies. Fezzari and Whyte have 30 day policies that let you ride and return as long as you do not beat up the bike and I am sure others may as well. Whyte had a couple 2018 S-150s left for $2150 and free shipping last I checked.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Transition Sentinel NX at Evo.com. $2600 right there

Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.
    I don't disagree with this at all but it may be more bike than he needs. I don't like to chime in on "what bike" threads but I can't express enough how much I love my Stache 7. The YT Jeffsy would definitely be on my very short list if or when I wanted to go full squish. But at the end of the day( or end of every ride) my Stache 7 is just so perfect ( for me) Good luck.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    I don't disagree with this at all but it may be more bike than he needs. I don't like to chime in on "what bike" threads but I can't express enough how much I love my Stache 7. The YT Jeffsy would definitely be on my very short list if or when I wanted to go full squish. But at the end of the day( or end of every ride) my Stache 7 is just so perfect ( for me) Good luck.
    Probably! Let's throw in the Transition Smuggler for good measure then

Formerly of Kent
    Someone just suggested a poor pedaling 160/140mm bike for...

Madison, Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Probably! Let's throw in the Transition Smuggler for good measure then
    Once again I agree. Can you run a 140 front on that bike? Wish they made a non carbon version. But I'll say again I am a bike junkie and love all things bikes but it always comes back to no matter what I throw at my Stache she just laughs and asks for more..Good girl!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    If you like the trance 3 except for the fork and drive train, I'd say you'd be pretty happy with the Trance 2. I'm sure you can find a 2018 or even a 2017 Trance 2 at or under your budget.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Hey everyone, thanks for the insights, I'll try to answer the best I can!

Yeah, I know I can buy a nice hardtail for $2600, but my existing hardtail is beating the hell out of me, I'm sure part of that is inexperience, but I have to assume a FS will be a bit more forgive over the rough stuff.

I totally agree that setup is going to be a huge portion of how a bike rides, and yeah, I'm sure that'll take some time to dial in, so I can't base all of my decision on the first ride.

I checked out the Fezzari stuff, the only bike in my price range was the Abajo Peak, looks great, no real reviews online, not sure how I feel about the fork/shock being Xfusion, not sure if those are any good?

The Trek Stache 7 does look nice (love the cobra blood color), but the head angle is steeper than many of the others...will I notice that heading downhill?

The Transition may be "more than I need", but is that a bad thing? I'd rather have more than I need of something, than not having enough and regretting the purchase.

Again, thanks for all the insights!! Keep 'em coming!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Naolin View Post
    If you like the trance 3 except for the fork and drive train, I'd say you'd be pretty happy with the Trance 2. I'm sure you can find a 2018 or even a 2017 Trance 2 at or under your budget.
    Yep thought about this, and have been looking for a 2018 Trance 2 to demo...My local shop has one, but it's a Medium so I'm thinking that's going to be too small for my 6' height...but, maybe I should go ride it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Marin bikes get great reviews and come in WAY under budget. $1499 to be exact for the Rift Zone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Yep thought about this, and have been looking for a 2018 Trance 2 to demo...My local shop has one, but it's a Medium so I'm thinking that's going to be too small for my 6' height...but, maybe I should go ride it?
    Yeah I would try it out, if they have a trance 3 in Large you can use that to feel out the sizing, and then Demo the medium to feel out the bike. I've owned the Fox Rhythm that comes on the Trance 2 and its an excellent fork for the price. It really should check all your boxes above.

We are talking about the 29er version or the 27 btw?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

We are talking about the 29er version or the 27 btw?
    Unfortunately, both options are 27.5 wheels...I've ridden the Large Trance 3 with 27.5", and it felt fine, I just figured I'd want 29's because my Trek with 29's seems to fit me well.

With the weather forecast for here tomorrow (-50 degree windchill) I won't be riding any bikes...maybe I'll go check out that medium later this week.

Bikesexual
    6' on a Medium? Some people do prefer smaller frames, but at 5'11.5'' with a 33 inseam, no way I would ride a medium.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    6' on a Medium? Some people do prefer smaller frames, but at 5'11.5'' with a 33 inseam, no way I would ride a medium.
    Yep, kinda my thoughts too (see above), but I figure I'll try it, maybe it'll fit well, maybe not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    What I meant was ride the Medium to get a feel for the fork and the drive train, then use the Trance 3 to confirm the sizing. Then once you know that you like the Trance 2, just shop around for it online (Giants are everywhere), or add a few hundred bucks to your budget and have the bike shop order you a brand new one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I will add that on paper the Jeffsy does look like a better buy though, but I've never ridden a YT. Component wise you are getting more for your money.

mtbr member
    Buddy just got a 2018 YT 29...only has 5-6 rides in but he's lovin' it. You're not going to find a better deal on a new FS bike with modern geo and decent components. Just do it!

Not sure if you are firm on the 29 vs 27.5 but the Kona Process 134 is a great all-rounder for XC type terrain. I think you can pick up a new one for about $2K.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I will add that on paper the Jeffsy does look like a better buy though, but I've never ridden a YT. Component wise you are getting more for your money.
    I thought the same, which is why I was just about to pull the trigger on it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    Buddy just got a 2018 YT 29...only has 5-6 rides in but he's lovin' it. You're not going to find a better deal on a new FS bike with modern geo and decent components. Just do it!

Not sure if you are firm on the 29 vs 27.5 but the Kona Process 134 is a great all-rounder for XC type terrain. I think you can pick up a new one for about $2K.
    I was actually looking at the Kona Process 153 SE and the Process 134 SE as well, I don't know a lot about Kona, but they do seem to get a lot of love...

Bikesexual
    I was actually looking at the Kona Process 153 SE and the Process 134 SE as well, I don't know a lot about Kona, but they do seem to get a lot of love...
    Kona makes awesome bikes! the forum is sick if this picture already.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You could also look at the Radon Slide Trail 8.0

Meatbomb
    Try to work a deal on a 2018 model at your LBS.....

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Once again I agree. Can you run a 140 front on that bike? Wish they made a non carbon version. But I'll say again I am a bike junkie and love all things bikes but it always comes back to no matter what I throw at my Stache she just laughs and asks for more..Good girl!
    It's Speed Balanced Geometry so yep you can. Transition is crazy these days with their designs. I think the Stache is an awesome bike too.

jcd's best friend
    The Transition may be "more than I need", but is that a bad thing? I'd rather have more than I need of something, than not having enough and regretting the purchase.

Again, thanks for all the insights!! Keep 'em coming!
    It depends. The Sentinel is probably more than what you need seeing that bike is happy when you point it down the trail rather than up the trail. I can uphill pedal my Sentinel just fine but then again I work out a lot. The Smuggler is a 29er with lesser travel (140mm fork, 120mm rear travel) which could work out for you. You might be able to locate a 2018 model and get a good discount. Do you have any Transition dealers near you? I would definitely find out and give one a test ride. I love the way the Speed Balanced Geometry keeps my Sentinel planted when riding descents. The setup feels very forgiving when you pick a bad line or you hit some rough patches on a descent.

I'm fairly biased toward Transition only because they are located here in WA state. I think most 29ers out there are really awesome (HT and FS) but I love Transition's SBG setup. Now, is SBG better than other suspension designs out there? Nah, it's another option for the public to choose! I've tried other suspension designs over the years and they all work great! In the end, I've decided that SBG is my favorite.
    Considering all the recommendations on this thread, you definitely can't go wrong with any of them.

mtbr member
    Yes they are great bikes. The SE models are a holdover of the original 'GEN1' design (horizontal shock) which has been very popular since they came out around 2014. In 2018 they came out with GEN2 design which has a different linkage with a vertical shock. The Gen2's supposedly climb better than the Gen1.

A year ago I picked up a Gen2 2018 AL/DL 153 Process in 27.5 for $2300 (on-line) which was a steal (they also come in 29). In XL frame this thing is HUGE but it climbs great. I chose 27.5 due to tight technical terrain around here. It's an inch or two longer than my buddies new LARGE framed Jeffsey 29er. It's been awesome and I love this bike. I would go 29 if riding more downhill/open terrain.

Sooo Many Choices!!! Please offer some suggestions?-img_0468.jpg
    Comparison to geo of my 2012 XL SC Heckler 26"
    Sooo Many Choices!!! Please offer some suggestions?-img_0324.jpg
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Jenson Usa has a 2018 Kona Process AL/DL(29r) right at your budget of $2600. Personally, I would go that route over the YT.. I just like a few of the components better and the bike gets really good reviews. Supposed to be a good climber too. I wouldn't worry about it being too much travel..bikes are getting so good, even mid and longer travel ones are pretty damn efficient nowadays. Good luck whatever you decide.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Its worth noting that the Process 153 SE (and 134 SE) is the older model (first gen), that they've retained at a lower price point.

Not bad, just worth mentioning.

OP, I was just in the same situation as you. I ended up buying a Kona Process 153 AL 29'er from JensonUSA. Its usually a $3k bike, and I got it for $2k on one of their killer sales. They also have the Deluxe version available (and still in XL the last time I looked), which comes in at exactly $2599.

I liked the base model over the DL, mostly because my budget was almost identical to yours (could maybe do $2500... but that was more than I wanted). But most of the core components between the normal, and deluxe version are similar (exception, drivetrain, brakes). But In general, I thought it was a good bike to upgrade.

Specifically, the Yari fork they come with can easily be upgraded to be the same as a Lyric (high end fork). You just need to replace the damper, as they share the same chassis. So thats a $300 upgrade in the future if you want, instead of buying a whole new Lyric (~$1k).

Sooo Many Choices!!! Please offer some suggestions?-wp_20190126_10_14_12_pro.jpgSooo Many Choices!!! Please offer some suggestions?-wp_20190126_10_13_45_pro-2-.jpg

I live in the PNW though (if the pictures didn't give that away :P). This may be a bit more travel than you need. I can say though, that I've been pleased with how well it pedals. Enough that unless its a long climb, I don't generally use the climb switch.

And thats coming from a 26'er hardtail XC bike.

Good luck making a decision .

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    Jenson Usa has a 2018 Kona Process AL/DL(29r) right at your budget of $2600. Personally, I would go that route over the YT.. I just like a few of the components better and the bike gets really good reviews. Supposed to be a good climber too. I wouldn't worry about it being too much travel..bikes are getting so good, even mid and longer travel ones are pretty damn efficient nowadays. Good luck whatever you decide.
    I also want to add on this that Kona is offering all sorts of discounts direct from them too.

https://konabikes.com/shop/bike-shop...ntended_use=31

Also, here is a Process 153 for $1999: https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Process-153-Al-Bike-2018

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I live just west of Madison. Do yourself a favor if you can wait until spring time and hit up the factory demo's that seem to hit our area routinely. Just last year I demo'ed bikes from Pivot, Specialized, Kona, Trek, and Giant. Take the time at the demo to have them set up the suspension for your size, skill set, and style.

I've got 25+ years in mountain biking, 18'ish years of racing downhill up and down the east coast before moving to the Madison area a few years ago, and I still struggle with what kind of bike I want and how much I really need to spend each and every time I go about buying a new bike.

Also do yourself a favor and hit up a bunch of shops in the area to just feel it all out. You've probably been to Erik's, Trek, Machinery Row, Wheel-n-Sprocket, etc., but I'd highly suggest checking out Trails This in Mount Horeb as well.

Hit me up via DM if you'd like to talk more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey everyone, thanks for the insights, I'll try to answer the best I can!

Yeah, I know I can buy a nice hardtail for $2600, but my existing hardtail is beating the hell out of me, I'm sure part of that is inexperience, but I have to assume a FS will be a bit more forgive over the rough stuff.

The Trek Stache 7 does look nice (love the cobra blood color), but the head angle is steeper than many of the others...will I notice that heading downhill?!
    Your Marlin has been beating you up because it's not a mtbike. It's a bike designed for bike paths and smooth trails. The fork, skinny rims and tires all are not meant for fun on trails. The Stache is a fun bike. For your terrain the geo works fine. Add a fork with more travel to slacken the head tube angle when you get to that point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here in Michigan also riding a trek xcal since 2011 (100% upgraded) and have a short list for new trail bike for the spring, I'm open to spending a little more to get carbon $4-5000 but the lower models in alum are very tempting.
    My short list:
    Trek fuel ex 29 prob 9.7 or 9.8 but the alum 29 Ex8 looks great value -> a little negotiating could get you close

Giant trance advanced 29 pro -> look at trance 29 2

Kona Hei Hei 29 very popular bike in my area the last 2 years (all the LBS riders ride this bike and they also carry trek/specialized)

I plan to demo and choose in the spring..

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    He wants a full suspension, nothing wrong with that. I completely agree with his decision. I just got rid of a hardtail for the same reason, and I wont be buying another one.

If I was on that budget, Iíd get a Fezzari or a Whyte, because both offer a good warranty and a 30day return.

Fezzari is Utah, Whyte is UK with a US presence. YT is great if you donít hav any problems.

Fezzari is designed to run 27+ or 29.

Donít get caught up in the hype, you will likely own many bikes over the years.
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+ (Frameset For Sale)
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak 29+
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    He wants a full suspension, nothing wrong with that. I completely agree with his decision. I just got rid of a hardtail for the same reason, and I wont be buying another one.

If I was on that budget, Iíd get a Fezzari or a Whyte, because both offer a good warranty and a 30day return.

Fezzari is Utah, Whyte is UK with a US presence. YT is great if you donít hav any problems.

Fezzari is designed to run 27+ or 29.

Donít get caught up in the hype, you will likely own many bikes over the years.
    I bought a Whyte gravel bike through Whyte Bikes USA. The whole experience was smooth. I am really looking at their FS bikes now. Good value it seems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Could you imagine if all the big name mfgs offered a lifetime frame warranty and a thirty day love it or leave it warranty?

It may come to pass, the online bike mfgs are starting to erode their market share.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartyinWI View Post
    I bought a Whyte gravel bike through Whyte Bikes USA. The whole experience was smooth. I am really looking at their FS bikes now. Good value it seems.
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+ (Frameset For Sale)
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak 29+
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkamaniac View Post
    I live just west of Madison. Do yourself a favor if you can wait until spring time and hit up the factory demo's that seem to hit our area routinely...

Also do yourself a favor and hit up a bunch of shops in the area to just feel it all out. You've probably been to Erik's, Trek, Machinery Row, Wheel-n-Sprocket, etc., but I'd highly suggest checking out Trails This in Mount Horeb as well.

Hit me up via DM if you'd like to talk more.
    Hey thanks! A fellow Wisconsinite! (Good Lawd it's cold today!!!)

And, yeah I can wait until spring, I wouldn't be riding anything but my fatbike until then anyway, I was just itching to get started.

And checking out some factory demos is a great idea, and something to seriously consider.

And yeah, I've hit all of the bike shops in town, some better than others...

As far as "Trail This" out in Mt. Horeb...YES!! I Love that shop, Jeff sold and installed the NX Eagle drivetrain on my Fatbike, he is absolute gold.

When I first started bike shopping, a lot of his stuff was out of my range, but not so much anymore...I probably should get out there again and chat with Jeff before I make a final buying decision.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I also want to add on this that Kona is offering all sorts of discounts direct from them too.

https://konabikes.com/shop/bike-shop...ntended_use=31

Also, here is a Process 153 for $1999: https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Process-153-Al-Bike-2018
    That 2018 Process 130 AL is really a great price! I'll add that one to the research list for sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Your Marlin has been beating you up because it's not a mtbike. It's a bike designed for bike paths and smooth trails. The fork, skinny rims and tires all are not meant for fun on trails. The Stache is a fun bike. For your terrain the geo works fine. Add a fork with more travel to slacken the head tube angle when you get to that point.
    Yeah, I know the Marlin wasn't designed for what I did to it, but it's what I had, and I wanted to ride, so I said "F-It" and and went for it! I did replace the crap coil fork with a Rockshox Recon..not a great fork by any means, but it was WAY better.

I just want to buy a bike that I won't regret immediately, and one that won't require expensive upgrades to get me where I want to be...Direct to consumer bikes seem to offer better builds for considerably less...unfortunately I have to shop with the wallet size I have.

I did call my local Trek store yesterday, one store has a Stache 5, and the other has a Stache 7, both store claim they had them in my size...but this wouldn't be the first time that I've gone in, only to find that they didn't actually have my size...but...they did have my size in the bike that was considerably more money....

So, we'll see, it's supposed to be a little warmer this weekend, I'll go ride one and see how it feels!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Nothing at all wrong with 1x10, 1x11 or 1x12.

The new wide range cassettes eliminate the need for a front derailleur and a second chainring. Better in the long run...less maintenance and you don't have to replace a shifter and derailleur when it wears out.

If you don't like the bikes in your area...Head about 2 hours west to Blue Dog Cycles in Viroqua. They carry Kona, Salsa and Giant Bikes and are usually willing to deal on price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Nothing at all wrong with 1x10, 1x11 or 1x12.

The new wide range cassettes eliminate the need for a front derailleur and a second chainring. Better in the long run...less maintenance and you don't have to replace a shifter and derailleur when it wears out.

If you don't like the bikes in your area...Head about 2 hours west to Blue Dog Cycles in Viroqua. They carry Kona, Salsa and Giant Bikes and are usually willing to deal on price.
    It wasn't that I didn't like the 1x10 (I have an NX Eagle on my fatbike, so I'm comfortable with a 1x), it was that I didn't like that 1x10...it was probably just not properly dialed in from sitting on the floor not being ridden.

Thanks for the bike shop recommendation, I'll check it out!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Another thought if it was not mentioned is to check out pros closet. They have a good return policy, often have excellent quality used bikes for pretty good prices. I got my Focus Cayo Disc road bike from them for half off and it was brand new, was just previous year's model.

Last I checked they had a few 2018 carbon Kona hei hei's for $2300.

mtbr member
    You know you want one...

Sooo Many Choices!!! Please offer some suggestions?-ea1482a0-694b-47f3-aa42-5ea711e0c08b.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post
    You know you want one...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EA1482A0-694B-47F3-AA42-5EA711E0C08B.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	386.6 KB 
ID:	1235871
    I do, I really really do, I just gotta make sure I cross all my T's and dot all my I's before I drop the cash LOL!

To some, $2400 is just a few bucks for an "entry level" bike, but for me, $2400 is quite a bit of coin to be dropping on "just a bike".

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jhatfie View Post
    Another thought if it was not mentioned is to check out pros closet. They have a good return policy, often have excellent quality used bikes for pretty good prices. I got my Focus Cayo Disc road bike from them for half off and it was brand new, was just previous year's model.

Last I checked they had a few 2018 carbon Kona hei hei's for $2300.
    That sounds like a really good deal. Not sure how far the OP is from there, but it sounds like a call at least would be warranted. The Hei Hei sounds like a great bike from all the reviews I've seen so far. Plus, if its the carbon model for that price, its like at least $1k off of MSRP.

If the Kona Process 153 deals that have been mentioned (2018 Process 153 AL 29'er for $1999, and the 2018 Process 153 AL/DL (deluxe) 29'er for $2599) are either too much bike, or undesireable for other reasons, I'd check out the Whyte T130.

The Whyte was redesigned this year, and its geo, and spec, are very, very similar to the newly updated Santa Cruz 5010, and the SBG Transition Scout. Both of those other bikes are more expensive though (even though they're both great choices). You can get the lower spec Whyte T130 SR for $2300. I feel it offers pretty good value for the money. I very nearly picked one of these up, before I found the deal on that Kona.

Good luck with whatever you do .

the half breed devil
    It wasn't that I didn't like the 1x10 (I have an NX Eagle on my fatbike, so I'm comfortable with a 1x), it was that I didn't like that 1x10...it was probably just not properly dialed in from sitting on the floor not being ridden.

Thanks for the bike shop recommendation, I'll check it out!
    i switched from alivio 1 x 10 to XT 1 x 11. money well spent.