Something Old, Something Borrowed, Something Blue- Mtbr.com
    Harmonius Wrench

Something Old, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

Here's a couple views of a project I'm working on based upon a design I've had in mind for several years now. It's drawn from mtb's heritage, (something old) and will have a few parts on it that will be supplied by friends, (something borrowed), and is at the powder coaters now. (You guessed it....blue!)

It's to be a single speed, disc brake only, non-suspension corrected, and originally was going to be a drop bar bike. However; it's probably going to get a custom Bull Moose bar with a modern twist. The frame is fillet brazed by the way. It was brazed by the same guy that did the 36"er.

I'm hoping to have it at the Big Wheeled Ballyhoo in June. Stay tuned for more!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Jan 2006
    now that is just cool! Can't wait to see more of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    a reverse mixte, eh?

R I D E S T E E L
    Nice, very interesting. Look forward to seeing where you land with this.

Mmmmmm Beer!
    Looks kinda like the old Mantis design. Just backwards.
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

Jan 2006
    Thruster Tri Power baby!

Jan 2004
    Very nice! I really like the "old" touch.

mtbr member
    This is the kind of stuff that brings me back to MTBR on a daily basis! Can't wait to see more, GT!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Looks old, I guess geometry isn't so (?)

Willing to share geometry specs?

Jan 2004
    G-T, when was that photo taken? Looks like fall. Shouldn't it be all green and spring-like?

I know I have seen a pic of something similar...is the idea based off of one of Breeze's old (early) designs???

Harmonius Wrench
    CPATCRASH: Certainly, I had that very bike in mind as I designed this. It was a definite influence. Love that paint job!

Hubert: Geometry specs are not right in front of me, but I believe it's got a 72 degree head tube and a 72.5 degree seat angle. benwitt might chime in here if he sees this. We talked it over, obviously, but that's been months ago and I can't remember exactly! The geometry is tweaked for all day in the saddle comfort, with a quick offset on the fork, but not radically so. I'll have to buzz up benwitt to track that down.

ssmike: The photo was taken just before Sea Otter, actually. I've been sitting on this for awhile until things started moving along towards completion.

CDtofer: Yes again. Breezer did do his first bikes in a very similar vein only his had proper seat stays which I omitted in this design. benwitt tells me it's far sexier in person than the photos let on, so I'll be anxious to lay my eyes on it!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

tiny rider
    Are the seat stays (for lack of a better term) fixed to the seat tube, or is this going to give you a bit of a soft tail?

Harmonius Wrench

They are attached

Quote Originally Posted by cartographer
    Are the seat stays (for lack of a better term) fixed to the seat tube, or is this going to give you a bit of a soft tail?
    The seat stays/twin laterals are brazed at the seat tube. They are also manipulated for better leg/heel clearance at that point, as well.

Having the seat stays/ twin laterals at such an extreme, layed down posistion will hopefully net me some compliance there, but it should be pretty stiff laterally with that tight triangle back there.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubert
    Looks old, I guess geometry isn't so (?)

Willing to share geometry specs?
    Hubert:

I tried to pm you about the 32er your pm mail box is full and your regular email wont accept mail..............................my email is [email protected]

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    GT, i was thinking you were shooting for a soft tail with super long "seat" stays (2x length = 2x compliance), but if you braze to the ST, it makes them short and stiff. Still looks like an interesting approach. Ride report will be interesting.
    the time is right for violent revolution

Harmonius Wrench

A Teaser..........

A sneak peak at the "Something Blue" part. More to come later...............
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Very Nice!
    Can't wait to see the finished product

dp

Harmonius Wrench

Finally! It is finished.

So, after a long time coming, I finally got this thing together. A delay due to a fork disc mount being brazed incorrectly delayed the finish a bit, but it's all done right now.

I haven't gotten in a longer ride on it yet, but initial sensations indicate that the project looks to be a success. Read more about it here.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

War machine member

Wow!

That's all I got...wow! Awesome frame and fantastic build. Enjoy!

Who turned out the lights
    Like it. Looks very clean. Let us know how it rides.

Gold Member
    I love the blue, tube dressings, and the integrated seat tube clamp. :thumb:
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    Mighty Nice!!

jmw
    mtbr member
    weird
    future nature

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004

bars....

Any progress on bullmoose bars? I've thought about stealing the shiney chrome ones off my mom's 83 Stumpy and cutting of the quill portion and welding in a clamp. But that would be sacreligious to that bike.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

Harmonius Wrench

It's a dead issue for now.

Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w
    Any progress on bullmoose bars? I've thought about stealing the shiney chrome ones off my mom's 83 Stumpy and cutting of the quill portion and welding in a clamp. But that would be sacreligious to that bike.
    The builder that was contacted to build the design for the "bull moose" bars that were to become a part of this basically gave us the cold shoulder, refusing to respond to e-mails and telephone calls. Guess it wasn't meant to be. There really wasn't another choice for the project, and then money started becoming an issue, so I didn't press the issue any further.

I may do something myself about it, but that's a future project for me that's way down the list now. I really like drop bars, and this bike was always intended to have them. The "bull moose" thing was a diversion from the original intent, although it's an ultra cool idea.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

fog
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    G-Ted, great looking bike
    It should work great with yours and Ben's knowledge. I am waiting for a ling ride report.
    Wayne

amar la vida de dos niner
    Quote Originally Posted by CPATCRASH
    Looks kinda like the old Mantis design. Just backwards.
    My eyes! My eyes!!

I'm guessing this was made in the 80s. I wasn't a cyclist back then, but I've heard references to the matching, colorful components of that time.

OP, your new steed is incredibly beautiful. You are obviously a creative and skilled builder. I look forward to hearing how she rides for you.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

Harmonius Wrench

measurements for those who care.........

Head tube angle: 71 degrees
    Seat tube angle: 72 degrees
    Axle to crown: 430mm
    Fork off set: 47mm
    Effective top tube: 609mm
    Chain stay length (in mid most posistion): 457mm

Designed for "all day in the saddle" comfort. Not too twitchy, longish, laid back seat tube which I prefer for power.

Initial rides indicate that the saddle is super plush. I'll have to bolt on a traditional saddle to see if it's all saddle or some smoothness in the frame is also there. More later.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Now that's most definately, Statically Indeterminate. (all engineers laugh a geeky laugh right now...)

Wow GTed, nice looking rig there and I'm happy for you. I like the bold blue color too.

mtbr member
    GT

Looks great. Can't wait to see it in person. Maybe a recon ride in the near future? I found a B-road w/ water crossing where a confinement is pumping liquid cow $h_t into the stream in a non-cross-bike-friendly fashion.

dp

ps To your knowledge has anyone ever.., ah... "pinch flatted" from the slot on the Selle Anatomica?

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by bd.sahib
    GT

Looks great. Can't wait to see it in person. Maybe a recon ride in the near future? I found a B-road w/ water crossing where a confinement is pumping liquid cow $h_t into the stream in a non-cross-bike-friendly fashion.

dp

Ummmm Scary! Ted the bike looks very rad!
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Oct 2005
    Holy...freakin'......god!

@#$%#$%^ Beautiful.

I'm going to throw my K-Monk in the lake now......thanks.

Harmonius Wrench

Thanks for the kind words, ya'all!

Quote Originally Posted by bd.sahib
    GT

dp
    Uhh.........shouldn't that be stopped by the folks you're workin' for? Sounds like a "safety violation" there!

ps To your knowledge has anyone ever.., ah... "pinch flatted" from the slot on the Selle Anatomica?
    I've read where the slot can come together and actually overlap if the leather is tensioned up a bit on the high side. Selle Anatomica recommends that you trim it back if that happens. However I can not say that I've ever heard of a "pinch flat" in the manner you refer to. I suppose if you were the kinky type and did one of those nude rides you'd be askin' for it though!

That said, the saddle is ultra plush. I am amazed at how it almost feels like you're not sitting down at all. Weird! In fact, it makes the bike feel like nothing I have ever ridden before. Again, I'll switch out saddles to confirm, because something just seems odd, in a good way though.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    The builder that was contacted to build the design for the "bull moose" bars...
    Calavera Cycles is doing some really different things lately; bullmoose bars in particular. He may be able to fab up some to your specs. (unless he was "the builder" in the first place). I guess I didn't see it anywhere, but what bars are on there now? They look like they're shallower and have more flare than Midges.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Calavera Cycles is doing some really different things lately; bullmoose bars in particular. He may be able to fab up some to your specs. (unless he was "the builder" in the first place). I guess I didn't see it anywhere, but what bars are on there now? They look like they're shallower and have more flare than Midges.
    Calavera isn't who I was referring to, but thanks for the info. When money is less tight, I'll look into that.

The handlebars are Origin 8 Gary bars. Very similar to the Midge with the exceptions of the noted slope and that the Midge is lighter/more compliant than a Gary Bar. Oh yeah, the Gary bar is much less money too. I love Midge bars, but for the difference in money I have to opt for the Gary. I'm on a tight budget and there is little performance/weight/looks difference between the two. YMMV.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

I like it, very classy (in an unconventional way).

Question: how easy (or not) was it to get the ESI's on the gary's? I've thought about straying from Oury's.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    I like it, very classy (in an unconventional way).

Question: how easy (or not) was it to get the ESI's on the gary's? I've thought about straying from Oury's.
    It was easy. Just sprayed a little Windex on 'em and pushed them on by hand. Well, it was a bit tough, but very doable. No cuss words were shouted at least!

Thanks for the compliment.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Members who have read this thread: 0