Some questions about GF Rig- Mtbr.com
    try driving your car less

Some questions about GF Rig

Well, I am in Europe for a while without a bike... which makes for time to think about a new bike! It's also funny how when I log on to mtbr in the office, it's totally dead due to the time change...

I have a nice 26er SS that I will keep, bit some other bikes I don't ride, so I was considering selling a pile of stuff to try 29er (and discs and EBB, all new to me) and get a Rig as local lbs is fisher dealer. Here are some specific questions for people who have seen one in person (already looked at GF website)
    1. Is the rear hub a thread on freewheel hub or freehub type?
    2. It says Bontrager OS stem and handlebar. So I can't switch in another handlebar that I have, right? or not...
    3. Is it possible to put a rear der. on it? Is there a replaceable der hanger that has just been shaved off and I can order another one?
    4. How good is 'Bontrager Select'? As in, what are the big differences between that and Bontrager Race Lite? just weight? how much for stem/seatpost/bars and whatever else.
    5. Is there anything I would really want to upgrade right out of the box on this bike? I am not a total weight freak, but have been riding nice stuff...

Thanks!
    I will most likely check back on Monday, unless some Euro people check in before that.
    Last edited by jh_on_the_cape; 01-21-2005 at 05:30 AM.
    Only boring people get bored.

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    Well, I am in Europe for a while without a bike... which makes for time to think about a new bike! It's also funny how when I log on to mtbr in the office, it's totally dead due to the time change...

I have a nice 26er SS that I will keep, bit some other bikes I don't ride, so I was considering selling a pile of stuff to try 29er (and discs and EBB, all new to me) and get a Rig as local lbs is fisher dealer. Here are some specific questions for people who have seen one in person (already looked at GF website)
    1. Is the rear hub a thread on freewheel hub or freehub type?
    2. It says Bontrager OS stem and handlebar. So I can't switch in another handlebar that I have, right? or not...
    3. Is it possible to put a rear der. on it? Is there a replaceable der hanger that has just been shaved off and I can order another one?
    4. How good is 'Bontrager Select'? As in, what are the big differences between that and Bontrager Race Lite? just weight? how much for stem/seatpost/bars and whatever else.
    5. Is there anything I would really want to upgrade right out of the box on this bike? I am not a total weight freak, but have been riding nice stuff...

Thanks!
    I will most likely check back on Monday, unless some Euro people check in before that.

JH-

1. The rear hub is a singlespeed cassette hub. The only oddity is that it uses a threaded lockring that threads onto the splines as opposed to the type used on current cassette hubs. No big thing, just something I noticed on it. It comes with a flat novatec type cog, but it has plenty of room for adjustment or a wide based cog ala king.

2. Yeah, bar and stem are 31.8. Not my favorite spec, but it looks like nice stuff anyway.

3. hmmm....I shoulda paid closer atention but I didn't...I don't recall noticing a hanger though?

4. hmmm.....wrong guy on that one!

5. I'd say saddle and maybe crank and bb. I'm not a big fan of isis or truvativ, so those two would have to go. If I were to buy a rig, and I might, I'd get rid of that stuff an go square taper from the get go.

Hope that helps....it is a great looking bike.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    JH-

1. The rear hub is a singlespeed cassette hub. The only oddity is that it uses a threaded lockring that threads onto the splines as opposed to the type used on current cassette hubs. No big thing, just something I noticed on it. It comes with a flat novatec type cog, but it has plenty of room for adjustment or a wide based cog ala king.

2. Yeah, bar and stem are 31.8. Not my favorite spec, but it looks like nice stuff anyway.

3. hmmm....I shoulda paid closer atention but I didn't...I don't recall noticing a hanger though?

4. hmmm.....wrong guy on that one!

5. I'd say saddle and maybe crank and bb. I'm not a big fan of isis or truvativ, so those two would have to go. If I were to buy a rig, and I might, I'd get rid of that stuff an go square taper from the get go.

Hope that helps....it is a great looking bike.

B

thanks. if you figure out the der hanger question, please post something.

Nat
    mtbr member
    thanks. if you figure out the der hanger question, please post something.
    There's no derailleur hanger from what I can see on any of the pics. If you want one, maybe the Excaliber is the frame you want? You could convert it to a SS with a tensioner, then run it as a gearie when you want.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    You don't need no stinkin' hanger. There are other options out there!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    That middle option pic is scaring me!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I forgot the first option (above) isn't viable on the EBB'd Rig...

Nat
    mtbr member
    I forgot the first option isn't viable on the EBB'd Rig...
    Oh yes, but going geigh is?

???? must be snow on the ground down there...

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    ???? must be snow on the ground down there...
    Snow + boredom = idle hands + stupid pics.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

add-on der hanger

what is that der hanger option, what does it fit, and where do you get one???

Recovering couch patato
    If you MUST buy a singlespeed-specific bike to put gears on it, very perhaps an internal rear hub or even a Schlumpf BB will work for you.

Longer looooong shot : Saint derailer? <- big question mark.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

OK. I am picking up a 05 Rig this weekend! trying one at SSWC put me over the edge.
    It is at a swap, so I can look for other upgrades there, too.
    What are some quick and easy options? on a budget...

I am considering swapping out some of the near new parts on it for some old parts I have in order to save some money. This is what I have in mind from reading this forum.

1. The cranks/BB. I have some old Race Face Sqaure taper compact cranks and the steel spindle BB. Will this save any weight? Which is worth more to sell? These (very scratched up) or the nearly new stock ones? I would need to get a new ring and guard for the RF cranks. I might have a 30t at home, though...

2. Post/seat. I will most likely swap in a thomson and my seat. thank dog it's 27.2

3. Tubes. I like Slime Lite Tubes (claimed 26"x1.75-2.125, i use them in 2.5s). Will they work?

4. cockpit: I have a easton carbon bar with nice older avid ultimate levers and oury grips. worth throwing on there? i would need to get another stem (not OS), but those are usually a dime a dozen at a swap.

5. gearing. i have 34:18 on my 26" bike. is that about what the rig will come with?

6. headset. every says it will shat the bed early. i will wait unti that happens and then replace it.

anything else?

I realize the wheels are upgradeable. But I do not see doing that without spending some real money.

i am not a huge weight wonker. but if it's cheap and easy, i will shed the weight. some bike parts are heavy for no real reason.

thanks

Recovering couch patato
    1) 30t for SS? Nahhhh
    3) I'd rather use them in 29x2.2 than 26x2.5
    5) 34x20 will make you happy
    6) Some think it's not too bad. Personally I can most of the time live with pretty crappy HD's when full of good grease.

giddy up!
    OK. I am picking up a 05 Rig this weekend! trying one at SSWC put me over the edge.

I am considering swapping out some of the near new parts on it for some old parts I have in order to save some money. This is what I have in mind from reading this forum.

1. The cranks/BB. I have some old Race Face Sqaure taper compact cranks and the steel spindle BB. Will this save any weight? Which is worth more to sell? These (very scratched up) or the nearly new stock ones? I would need to get a new ring and guard for the RF cranks. I might have a 30t at home, though...

2. Post/seat. I will most likely swap in a thomson and my seat. thank dog it's 27.2

3. Tubes. I like Slime Lite Tubes (claimed 26"x1.75-2.125, i use them in 2.5s). Will they work?

4. cockpit: I have a easton carbon bar with nice older avid ultimate levers and oury grips. worth throwing on there? i would need to get another stem (not OS), but those are usually a dime a dozen at a swap.

5. gearing. i have 34:18 on my 26" bike. is that about what the rig will come with?

6. headset. every says it will shat the bed early. i will wait unti that happens and then replace it.

anything else?

I realize the wheels are upgradeable. But I do not see doing that without spending some real money.

i am not a huge weight wonker. but if it's cheap and easy, i will shed the weight. some bike parts are heavy for no real reason.

thanks
    1. I would definitely make the switch to your race face cranks. Isis has some durability problems that square taper never knew. Plus your setup is probably a bit lighter. If you throw the 30t ring on there with an 18 cog your gear inches will be almost identical to you 26" ride.

2. Nice, that's a good move. It's always nice to stay on "your" seat and thomson posts get the job done nicely.

3. Those should work. I've never tried those specific tubes but I've ran 26" tubes without problems quite a few times.

4. I'd probably do this switch as well. Stems are cheap and this will allow you to get the cockpit length dialed from the start. Those levers are awfully nice as well.

5. I believe it comes with 32x17 which is way too high for most of us. I prefer something in the 32x20 range but YRMV.

6. The headset is junk but let it do its thing first and then spring for an FSA or a King.

Is it a purple rig or the new black one?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    1. I would definitely make the switch to your race face cranks. Isis has some durability problems that square taper never knew. Plus your setup is probably a bit lighter. If you throw the 30t ring on there with an 18 cog your gear inches will be almost identical to you 26" ride.

2. Nice, that's a good move. It's always nice to stay on "your" seat and thomson posts get the job done nicely.

3. Those should work. I've never tried those specific tubes but I've ran 26" tubes without problems quite a few times.

4. I'd probably do this switch as well. Stems are cheap and this will allow you to get the cockpit length dialed from the start. Those levers are awfully nice as well.

5. I believe it comes with 32x17 which is way too high for most of us. I prefer something in the 32x20 range but YRMV.

6. The headset is junk but let it do its thing first and then spring for an FSA or a King.

Is it a purple rig or the new black one?

B

thanks! it's the purple one. i will most definitely do the seatpost/seat swap. that's easy. since i am inherently lazy (efficient!) the crank/BB may or may not happen. the bars probably will if i find a stem easily. i need a purple stem!

The Duuude, man...
    Welcome!! Below are just my opinions, or how I would do it personally...

The cranks on that RIG are pretty nice. I would keep them and buy a better/lighter ISIS BB.

Excellent. I threw a cheap susy post on mine, softened it up nicely. But no one can argue with Thomson.

I think they would stretch in there, but my experience with 29ers has been that they don't flat very often, so I'm sure you can get away with regular tubes.

Oh heck yea man, rock that upgrade, especially if you have it. I tossed a Thomson 110x0 OS and a Titec OS Hellbent on mine, with Oury grips...wish I had some nice levers like yours to put on.

I beleive it comes stock with 32x18. I put a 17 ACS cassette freewheel thingy on mine, it's very tall, but i HATE spinning out a SS, so I prefer to error on the high side, and I can't climb anyway....

Apparently the '05 was a pretty cheapie HS. The '06 comes with a nice Cane Creek. However, being a part snob, i'm putting a King on mine. If you want, PM or email me, i'll send you my Cane Creek for free, you just cover shipping.

anything else?
    Well, there's no end depending on how much you want to spend, but really, you'll have a nice ride if you only do 1/2 of the things above. I would just RIDE...

I went "budget bling" on mine, by putting the limited edition PURPLE Surly disc hubs with purple nips...looks sexy, but pretty in-expensive. Those stock wheels are pretty nice though, they feature the Bontrager Mustang Disc rims, which are one of the best 29er rims on the market and they are out of stock, so it's both a desirable and a difficult to get item.
    FS: Everything

thanks for the lengthy reply!

i think i have a purple bottle cage at home somewhere...

mtbr member
    The Rig (or at least my '05) came stock with 32/18. I ditched the cheapie 18t rear cog and stock aluminum lockring for a Surly 19 and a steel lock ring.
    86 the stock headset if you are getting an '05 Rig, they are junk.
    The cranks are ISIS Truvativ Stylo SSes w/ a Truvativ Gigapipe BB, so far I haven't had any probs with mine.
    I went rigid on mine with a Surly KM fork and stuck on a Thomson stem, Easton Carbon DH bar, CK headset, some lock on grips and Shimano 540 pedals and it is like 24.5lbs now. Next upgrades will be some nice hubs, and maybe a bead blasted frame. After seeing the stories about purple Rigs at the SSWC, I am thinking about de-colorizing mine.

OK. One last question.
    The rig has a seattube that extends quite a bit above the top tube. Is it vital to have the seatpost inserted past that junction? Or is it fine to just go by the insertion marking on the post? I figure the mark on the post is to prevent the post from breaking, but has nothing to do with the frame. If it needs to go past the TT/ST junction, you need a pretty long seatpost. I am no clydsdale.

Nat
    mtbr member
    OK. One last question.
    The rig has a seattube that extends quite a bit above the top tube. Is it vital to have the seatpost inserted past that junction? Or is it fine to just go by the insertion marking on the post? I figure the mark on the post is to prevent the post from breaking, but has nothing to do with the frame. If it needs to go past the TT/ST junction, you need a pretty long seatpost. I am no clydsdale.
    Insert past min. insertion line at the end of the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Insert past min. insertion line at the end of the tube.
    no comprendo. go by mark on seatpost, or make sure it goes past ST/TT junction?

Oct 2004
    i just picked up an '06 Rig yesterday. i have already replaced several parts and plan on replacing more soon.

avid bb7's replaced by Magura Marta Sl's (The Avids are for sale if anyone is intrested)

stem and bar replaced by Ritchie WCS and Easton EC70

Sadle replaced with an SLR, post soon to be replaced

pedals replaced with Xpedo mountain force Full ti

Upgrades to follow later:

Gold King Headset
    Gold King Hubs built with Mavic Rims of some kinda and Gold alloy nipples (BLING)
    Marta's replaced with Hope Mono M2's (more gold Bling!!!)
    FSA Carbon cranks and ISIS ti bb
    Easton EC70 poast

sadly i havent even takin the bike for a ride yet, and it RAINING today

Quote Originally Posted by tedalsop
    i just picked up an '06 Rig yesterday. i have already replaced several parts and plan on replacing more soon.

that is sad.

OK. One last question.
    The rig has a seattube that extends quite a bit above the top tube. Is it vital to have the seatpost inserted past that junction? Or is it fine to just go by the insertion marking on the post?
    If it were my frame I'd make sure the post clears the junction of the top tube/seat tube/seat stays. Seems like an old rule of thumb but otherwise I would suspect that you could really over stress that area.

I had to get a longer seat post for my 05 GF paragon (pretty much the same frame). Wouldn't you know it the nice post that I had to cut down for my KM (to clear the bent seat tube) was now too short for the fisher.

Also, the stock bontrager post didn't offer enough tilt adjustment to work with my saddle (flite).
    Last edited by (Tom); 09-15-2005 at 06:24 PM. Reason: tpyo

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by tedalsop

avid bb7's replaced by Magura Marta Sl's (The Avids are for sale if anyone is intrested)

stem and bar replaced by Ritchie WCS and Easton EC70

Sadle replaced with an SLR, post soon to be replaced

pedals replaced with Xpedo mountain force Full ti

Upgrades to follow later:

Gold King Headset
    Gold King Hubs built with Mavic Rims of some kinda and Gold alloy nipples (BLING)
    Marta's replaced with Hope Mono M2's (more gold Bling!!!)
    FSA Carbon cranks and ISIS ti bb
    Easton EC70 poast

Check your PM's in regards to your avid brakes....
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Oct 2004
    just weighed my rig after making some changes and i got her down to 24lbs from 27lbs stock. not bad if i say so my self, still waiting for the sun to come out and the trails to dry up though.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    no comprendo. go by mark on seatpost, or make sure it goes past ST/TT junction?
    i broke my previous alu-frame because i went by the min-insert mark on the post(i'm 240lbs), and didn't insert the post so it overlapped the bottom of the TT.

my advice: disregard the min-insert mark on the post and make sure the post overlaps the bottom edge of the top tube instead. get a 410mm thomson if need be. cheaper than a new frame anyway

Just a follow up.
    I got the rig and rode it at nembafest. I even saw Tom on the trail and we chatted.

It sort of rides the same as my Merlin Fat Beat. I guess I need to ride it some more to feel the difference. But I did read here that a hardtail 29er rides similar to a 26 softtail. I also thought it would feel much longer, but it did not.

I just put in my seat and post. it's 32:18, which seems fine.

The only other change from stock is a nifty specialized stem which has a wedge shaped spacer which allows you to change the stem angle between 8 and 15 by flipping and moving the spacer. never seen that before.

and i need to set up the fork properly. it doesnt feel very cushy right now.

thanks again for all the help, and i might be back for more advice in the future! overall a great deal at 750, no shipping or tax since i met sean to pick it up. take care and ride lots.