Some due credit for Fisher Bikes- Mtbr.com
    Recovering couch patato

Some due credit for Fisher Bikes

Hey Gang,

We all know that Fisher Bikes has always been the biggest mainstream proponent of 29" bikes. Thanks to Fisher, Marzocchi made a couple fork models in our size, which later even became available after market. After Fisher stopped pushing them, Marzocchi quit the scene, only in it for the big OEM deals obviously.

For 2005 Fisher upped it's game a couple notches, moving to much nicer frames, and sealing a SRAM/RockShox deal, from which the Reba 29" was born. As a package, frame and fork, part of thei complete bikes, are raising the standards which Fisher set themselves.
    The Reba's later turned out to be a more than excellent choice. Remember that without Fisher who must have pre-ordered many thousands of them, this fork would most definately not exist in our size.
    Now see how many riders pick the Reba for their high-end custom builds. Look how affordable it is, used or new. The cries for Fox 29" forks have all but died away. There's hardly a need for them anymore. Less than half the costs buys the performance "we" would hope Fox would bring us.

Without Fisher Bikes, we'd all be either riding rigid, some flexy suspension fork, or one the much more expensive options like White Brothers and Maverick.
    With this Reba fork, which most weren't so sure of in advance (read : RockShox haters), the 29" size has gained lots respect in the MTB world. Another less reason NOT to go 29". Another less reason NOT to start a bike brand (Niner?).
    Riding a Reba, there's just so little to complain about 29" anymore. Weight is decent, stiffness better than most 26" XC fork. Damping awesome, added cornering grip unmistakable.

Perhaps Fisher got lucky with how the Reba turned out in the long run, but we sure ought to give them huge credit for making this happen for us. Mother Trek wasn't very hot on 29", and would rather see Fisher cut it's losses years earlier, but now has seen the true potential, and awarded 29" a higher Trek-status. This means we can get more bikes from them, and wait less.

Maybe we're not all Reba fans, but I think we all have to agree it meant a giant leap for our "passing fad".

Now let's hear a big thank you for Gary Fisher and Fisher Bikes! They fought hard for us, and still are!

Thanks Gary, thanks FisherGuy (Ryan) !!

J
    The Netherlands. I even see Fisher Rig singlespeeds with Reba's on the trails now, awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

I agree

Great Post
    I couldn't agree more. Gary Fisher makes some great bikes, support the 29er movement, and stand behind their products. What more could you ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Hey Gang,

We all know that Fisher Bikes has always been the biggest mainstream proponent of 29" bikes. Thanks to Fisher, Marzocchi made a couple fork models in our size, which later even became available after market. After Fisher stopped pushing them, Marzocchi quit the scene, only in it for the big OEM deals obviously.

For 2005 Fisher upped it's game a couple notches, moving to much nicer frames, and sealing a SRAM/RockShox deal, from which the Reba 29" was born. As a package, frame and fork, part of thei complete bikes, are raising the standards which Fisher set themselves.
    The Reba's later turned out to be a more than excellent choice. Remember that without Fisher who must have pre-ordered many thousands of them, this fork would most definately not exist in our size.
    Now see how many riders pick the Reba for their high-end custom builds. Look how affordable it is, used or new. The cries for Fox 29" forks have all but died away. There's hardly a need for them anymore. Less than half the costs buys the performance "we" would hope Fox would bring us.

Without Fisher Bikes, we'd all be either riding rigid, some flexy suspension fork, or one the much more expensive options like White Brothers and Maverick.
    With this Reba fork, which most weren't so sure of in advance (read : RockShox haters), the 29" size has gained lots respect in the MTB world. Another less reason NOT to go 29". Another less reason NOT to start a bike brand (Niner?).
    Riding a Reba, there's just so little to complain about 29" anymore. Weight is decent, stiffness better than most 26" XC fork. Damping awesome, added cornering grip unmistakable.

Perhaps Fisher got lucky with how the Reba turned out in the long run, but we sure ought to give them huge credit for making this happen for us. Mother Trek wasn't very hot on 29", and would rather see Fisher cut it's losses years earlier, but now has seen the true potential, and awarded 29" a higher Trek-status. This means we can get more bikes from them, and wait less.

Maybe we're not all Reba fans, but I think we all have to agree it meant a giant leap for our "passing fad".

Now let's hear a big thank you for Gary Fisher and Fisher Bikes! They fought hard for us, and still are!

Thanks Gary, thanks FisherGuy (Ryan) !!

J
    The Netherlands. I even see Fisher Rig singlespeeds with Reba's on the trails now, awesome.

Harmonius Wrench

Here! Here!

I wholeheartedly agree!

Cloxxki: You must have slept well last night or "something."

That was an awesome post!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Jan 2006
    Agreed, like other have said good post Cloxxki. As a fisher owner, I am right there w/ you in saying a big Big Thanks to Fisher and crew.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Great post. Despite the fact that I'm building an Inbred, I still have a burning desire for a Fisher. I think a Rig is in my future this spring!!

- And the frames are American made to boot!!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I wholeheartedly agree!

Cloxxki: You must have slept well last night or "something."

That was an awesome post!
    I concur on the quality post.

As to having slept well, maybe he got that pedal out of the crankarm...

Or, perhaps he is ecstatic about the performance of the Dutch speed skaters and all those medals they are winning...

BB

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Well said Clox!
    Attached Images Attached Images

jrm
    mtbr member

I heard fisherguy was a hoax..

and that he or she is a discrunted ex employee. I like my 293 but wish it had a better parts mix then it does.

mtbr member
    Very perceptive observations. I am glad to join the gushing Fisher lovefest.

Fisher saw a good idea and ran with it. But good ideas are no guarantee of financial success. Ask Willits about that. I have a feeling Fisher hasn't been making a lot of money on their 29ers either.

When did Fisher first come out with a 29er MTB? 03? So it has been around three years and no other major manufacturer has put out even a single 29er model. I don't think Nishiki can be considered a major manufacturer in the U.S. region, Nishiki sort of missed the market for their 29ers. Nevertheless, Fisher has stuck with the 29er concept and put out even more models.

Whether 29ers have been a financial success for Fisher or not, Fisher pretty much made the current market for 29ers on its own. Fisher has paved the way for many other smaller companies to justify their own investments in 29er specific designs. Fisher deserves a lot of credit, and I hope they end up making a good amount of money from their 29ers.

I would just like to comment that my Marzocchi fork has been excellent. It is still running strong in spite of a total lack of maintenance on my part. It is a pity Marzocchi dropped it when they were dropped by Fisher, but you really can't blame them as the fork is not the kind many people would be adding as an aftermarket mod to their bikes. I can't imagine aftermarket sales of the 29er Marzocchi would be significant.

Recovering couch patato
    Great post? You guys say it like that's something new from me :-(
    Keep the focus on Fisher. Probably half the product choices we have, we owe (in)directly to them.

And yes, I am officially in lvoe with a few Dutch speed skaters. The way they move, even off the ice, makes cyclists and beach volleyballers look clumsy and out of shape.

R I D E S T E E L
    I have to agree with all above, I give Fisher a ton of credit here. I'll admit, I'm not a big fan of the massive bike companies or aluminum bikes, but Fisher deserves a lot of credit for sticking by their decision and growing the market.

At SS Worlds last year, it was a Gary Fisher SS 29er that won on an insanely tough course. And while I was having a bad day, it was Gary Fisher who came by ever so comfortably over the log pile that threw me off course.

In part, it's Gary Fisher that has me getting a 29er this year. My experience with SS Worlds and a lot of reading on this board.

Cheers!

Recovering couch patato
    30 years into it the guy is still not tired of motivating people into bringing their riding to the next level :-)

And He was Not
    Well written and Well deserved. I remember when Fisher came out with the 29. I thought it was a risky adventure with little merit. Now I own 2, 29ers. Great job to the Fisher peeps.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

Sep 2005

Good job! The Netherland Forever!

Great post? You guys say it like that's something new from me :-(
    Keep the focus on Fisher. Probably half the product choices we have, we owe (in)directly to them.

And yes, I am officially in lvoe with a few Dutch speed skaters. The way they move, even off the ice, makes cyclists and beach volleyballers look clumsy and out of shape.
    Well, Clox, things are even better than you know. The Dutch are looking good all over the world! Yesterday, in Chicago, your local band from Amsterdam, the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, gave one of the greatest orchestral performances I've heard in 35+ years of concert-attending. Absolutely inspirational! After the concert I rode my bike.
    It couldn't possibly get any better!

Regards!

awesome
    Yessir! Major props to Mr. Fisher & his associates from here too.

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Boy it is thick in here. Sweet like syrup. Kind of makes me gag this love-fest.

Not that Fisher doesn't deserve a big attaboy though. I would not be riding a 29er at this point if not for the press and controversy of the 29er. His geometry was the inspiration for my first 29er. And Fisher is the only big brand I give a rats arse about right now.

Anyway, it feels like we are all dogs trying to hump Gary's leg or something....not that its a bad thing I suppose
    my builder: Neil at Cernitz Bike

mtbr member

Thank you GF

It was a very small group ride, with GF himself, that got me to try a 29er in the first place. I had been curious before, but talking with him and watching him ride bigwheels for a couple of hours had me dying to take the plunge... so I bought a xcaliber as my first foray into the 29er world and I haven't looked back since.

it was an early nineties steel GF montare that originally made me fall in love with mt bikes. That model is in the MTB hall of fame listed among GF's achievements, with some of the shortest chainstays ever, 15.5", what a climber! That bike is now the only 26" I own, it was a great design and too sentimental for me to part with.... it now sees regular duty as my urban assault. It's fitting that the new Montare has also gone 29

Thanks Fisher!
    (from the whole sport, not just the 29er world)

and since stories are always better with pics....

Recovering couch patato
    Let's just say we can now forgive him for promoting the wrong wheelsize for a quarter century.
    What were he and the other guys pioneers to use kid's wheels off road??? :-)

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Raising a big frosty mug of Belgian Brown Ale to Fisher et al. And to you, too, Clox!

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member

Redemption

Let's just say we can now forgive him for promoting the wrong wheelsize for a quarter century.
    What were he and the other guys pioneers to use kid's wheels off road??? :-)
    What were he and the other guys pioneers to use kid's wheels off road???

LOL !!!!!

Peace & Love
    cool post!

but who is the ugly dude on our left?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    cool post!

but who is the ugly dude on our left?

Sorry Fo... we all know you recognize things from a different angle.

Members who have read this thread: 0