Solid 29er racing wheelset (CK hubs, Stan Arch rims)!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Solid 29er racing wheelset (CK hubs, Stan Arch rims)!

Hi,

I am looking for a 29er racing wheelset with good compromise between durability and weight as I may use it for regular riding as well.

I am thinking about a set with Chris King Hubs and Stan Arch 29er rims. I do XC riding/racing on a hard tail. I am 511 and 160 lbs. Mostly ride of flat terrain, with roots and sand (Texas).

Is this a good build for what I am looking for? Should I consider a lighter front rim? Or entire different setup?

Last, please give me the name of a few reputable/quality and price competitive online wheel builders.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    At your weight go with Crest of 355 rims. PM Orion_Cycles for a wheel quote. His prices are good and wheels are sold. However, he can be slow to respond sometime.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Agreed... my race wheelset is American Classics w/ 355s. Comes in somewhere around 1550 g sans rotors, hub, tires, etc. ACs w/ Crests, or DT240s w/ Crests would be good options for race wheelsets. IMO, chris king hubs, while really good, are a little heavy for a "race wheelset," unless your race wheelset is your only wheelset.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    I have the King/arch combo and the weigh 1800 ish grams. Great wheelset but kinda heavy.
    Ride it like you stole it!

Members who have read this thread: 0