So, how do you commute?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

So, how do you commute?

So, I've been thinking of commuting from home to my office, and because friday is the "national bike to work day" the idea is inside my head now, but I've been wondering how do you guys do it?

From home to my office is about 17 miles thru very bad traffic, major streets (not highway but 4 lane or more), people is not used to cyclist, do you just go for it?

Also, once you get to the office what do you do, just do your regular job without a shower? change clothes in the restroom? Keep your bike in the office? Let's say that I have an administrative job, sitting in my office going to meetings.

How do you guys do it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Monster FTW
    I'm pretty fortunate to have a large bike cage in the garage of our office that uses a badge reader to access so it's secure and we also have a fitness center with showers. I honestly couldn't commute without a shower because I sweat too much.
    2014 Specialized Camber Carbon Evo

mtbr member
    Yeah, i mean, I don't sweat that much and it's only 17 miles but still I don't think I'll be that comfortable not showering after a ride and work all day. Keeping my bike in my office I don't see a problem have enough space but still the idea of changing clothes and being "not clean" all day makes my idea of commuting a bit hard to sallow

mtbr member
    my commute is only 3 miles and completely flat, so I bike in my work clothes at 6am and try my best to fix my helmet hair, but my students don't seem to mind if I like slightly insane. I keep my bike in my classroom, behind the whiteboard.

mtbr member
    Yeah, there are not a lot of climbs where my commute would be, but still planning to pedal a bit more than an hour, I think I would break a sweat

mtbr member
    I rode for a while. Ultimately it wasn't for me.

However, my commute was 23 miles each way. I was fortunate to have a locker room with shower so I had a road bike with a rack, panniers to carry my gear and I'd shower when I got to work. If you can't shower at work you can use wipes to clean off - just make sure you plan to rest for about 15 minutes after you get to work so you mostly stop sweating before you wipe off. Otherwise you're wasting your time. Then I guess change in to some work clothes and go to your desk. Shave your head so you don't have to worry about your hair
    :wq

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My commute is only 6 miles, and luckily I can take neighborhood streets. There's a shower in the gym at work, which is almost necessary in Texas heat in summer - 80 at 7AM so not much chance to avoid sweating. I keep my bike at the end of my cube row if it's a nice bike, locked outside if I'm just on my old beat-up commuter.

The best option is to see if there's any way you can use back streets - if not, it can be somewhat dangerous. People get pissy and inattentive when they're late for work.

Peace & Love
    i rarely commute via bike. but i plan on starting next week once a week. mine is 25 miles each way but is a great ride. i have showers at work otherwise i wouldnt consider. i keep a bike in my office already so the culture affords it here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I used to commute 9 miles to a night dishwashing job. That was perfect. I work for a landscaping job in the day and its about 12miles and hills hills hills. I haven't tried it yet as I feel ill be pretty exhausted to work an already exhausting job. I'm on a 1x7 road bike my easiest gear will be 40-24. I'm honestly scared to try it. I need to man up for realz

mtbr member
    I have no option to use neighborhood streets, really have to take the roads used by people who I believe are usually late to work, and I really feel it might be dangerous, that's one of the things that are keeping me hesitant to commute, the other one is the shower, closest thing would be a quick wash at the restroom.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Only 9 miles each way for my commute but I have bike paths and side street paths almost the entire way, admin type job, whore bath with baby wipes, (love my kids), change in bathroom, etc. You just make it work, wind, rain, snow, -20 temps, or shine!

Bedwards Of The West
    Go to the commuter forum...there is a recent thread called 'logistics of commuting', and several others like it that will help.

If you shower immediately before the ride and do the wipe-down (baby wipes, etc) when you get there, the 'funk' isn't an issue. Stash clothes at work and don't ride in anything that you're going to wear at work, and you're good. After you do it, you'll realize that the sweat factor isn't that big of a factor. Give yourself plenty of time to cool down when you get there, so you don't have to jump right into your work clothes and hit the ground running... otherwise you get the momentary refreshing wet-wipe shower, and then you start sweating all over again when you get dressed. I get there a bit early, get my coffee going, etc before I change, then go do the wipe-down/change thing after I'm a bit cooled down... I leave the restroom in my work clothes fresh as a daisy.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm fortunate to have a bike cage and showers at work, and bike lanes on the roads along the way. Makes my 6 mile commute pretty easy.

If the shower is your biggest hangup, a gym membership might be a solution. There are 24 hour fitness places all around, maybe you have one near work? Then you have a place to work out on days you don't commute, too.

mtbr member
    Great suggestions everyone, I just when thru the commuter forums, great stuff as well http://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/log...ng-788444.html

I just decided it, i'm going for it on Friday, I'll let you know how it went.

I think I'm just gonna pack my work clothes and shoes in my camelbak, some baby wipes and deodorant, I think I'll be able to pull it off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I would not ride through areas with bad traffic and/or without a "bike friendly" atmosphere. Heavy traffic and angry drivers are a commuters best enemy, is it really worth risking your life for a bicycle commute? Ultimately that is your decision.

I commute 10 miles through mostly low-speed, low-traffic roads. My only high traffic road has a big shoulder to help with safety.

mtbr member
    20miles round trip for me. We have a bike rack @ work, but no shower.

Ultimately it saves me $0 over driving. It's more for a little extra time on the bike. The city is not bike friendly because of sprawl and motorist culture. Very anti-bicycle.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalmons View Post
    I would not ride through areas with bad traffic and/or without a "bike friendly" atmosphere. Heavy traffic and angry drivers are a commuters best enemy, is it really worth risking your life for a bicycle commute? Ultimately that is your decision.

I commute 10 miles through mostly low-speed, low-traffic roads. My only high traffic road has a big shoulder to help with safety.
    agree 100%! also sold my motorcycles for similar reason. however, my bike route, that i at least "plan" on doing 1x/week starting next, is quite friendly (ie, relatively safe, taking either the red, which includes 9 miles of dirt, or blue path)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, how do you commute?-commute-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Pannier with water bottle will work better than a backpack. Take baby wipes for a bum shower. Hang your bike clothes on your bike to dry during the day. I'm fortunate in that we have showers at work and a place to store bikes.
    Idaho

Members who have read this thread: 0