SO? How close is too close if everything else fits?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SO? How close is too close if everything else fits?

Looking at a used Karate Monkey SS. Everything fits well but the SO is close, less than 1" on a hard surface. I haven't had a 29er before and my fatty has pretty similar SO and I ride it in singletrack & snow/sand/mud without issues.

Advice?
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Salsa Beargrease Carbon 1
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

turtles make me hot
    How does the bike feel when you're on the seat pedaling?
    I like turtles

AZ
    banned
    Stand over is largely meaningless, if everything else is right ignore it.

mtbr member
    I ride a KM and am on a medium. I will say that my SO is very close, but the rest of the bike feels great and I can rip on it. I have been told numerous times by my LBS buddies that SO is not the number to go by. if it feels good get it and have fun!
    MisFitPsycles DiSSent, ALc - BLINGLESPEED
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Surly Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Looking at a used Karate Monkey SS. Everything fits well but the SO is close, less than 1" on a hard surface. I haven't had a 29er before and my fatty has pretty similar SO and I ride it in singletrack & snow/sand/mud without issues.

Advice?
    Answer this question then you'll have your answer. When was the last time you crashed on level ground and landed with both feet flat on the ground?
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Enablers
    Yes, it fits great otherwise. When I am on it, it fits and feels fantasmal! And no, I can't count the last time I crashed on a flat surface with both feet at the same time. I learned quickly to dismount my pugs at an angle(if planned) and unplanned, well....pretty sure SO didn't occur to matter to me at the time(as in I thought "good thing I have decent SO, or else this fall would really hurt!")
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Mine fits great with around an inch or so of stand over. The top tube is more important.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Because you get on and off standing on a pedal you have plenty of clearance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    This is the standard line that has helped sell the 29er trend. However, it becomes important when you need it.

mtbr member
    My toptube rubs my boys when I'm on flat ground. But since everything else fits just fine and I like rubbing my boys on stuff, SO wasn't the deal breaker for me. (2010 Kona Unit, btw).
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by steveccnv View Post
    This is the standard line that has helped sell the 29er trend. However, it becomes important when you need it.
    When is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    As has been said above "SO is largely meaningless if everything else is right ignore it."

Completely agree with this statement although as a disclaimer I don't have an issue with SO.

More important is the fit from seat to handle bar, where hopefully you will spend 99.99% of your time whilst riding the bike.
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Enlighten us then oh wise one, when do you need it?
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't get why people get so focused on Stand Over clearance and the size sticker on the seat tube. Unless you're on a balance bike like my 3 year old, don't worry about it.

AZ
    banned

I ride em, they don't pedal themselves. You must spend a lot of time standing over them?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You need more stand over when you've just racked your nuts on the top tube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ive gotten stopped cold by a rock multiple times. When that happens you dont go over the bars, you slide forward to the tube and have to put one or both feet down. When this happens, the more clearance the better.

Maybe you guys dont have the technical terrain we have here. We have lots of short rocky climbs followed by short rocky downhills. There are often times 180 degree switchbacks around a tree into a rocky descent. If you dont have enough speed entering the descent you can get stopped cold. Sometimes it is a ledge drop (say 2 feet) immediately followed by some smaller rocks (6 inches to a ft). If you dont have your weight balanced right you can come off the ledge and slam into the next rock without going over it.

standover has never been a problem for me so it isnt something I look for, but if I only had 1" of clearance that could be a problem.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    Maybe you guys dont have the technical terrain we have here.
    Maybe we do and it's just a fact that most people don't have the problem you're describing.
    Imagine that...
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Advice?
    You answered your own question.
    "...my fatty has pretty similar SO and I ride it in singletrack & snow/sand/mud without issues.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ive gotten stopped cold by a rock multiple times. When that happens you dont go over the bars, you slide forward to the tube and have to put one or both feet down. When this happens, the more clearance the better.
    This is the point of stand over. It is not about having room while standing in a parking lot, it is about having some measure of protection while crashing or bailing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Maybe you guys dont have the technical terrain we have here. We have lots of short rocky climbs followed by short rocky downhills. There are often times 180 degree switchbacks around a tree into a rocky descent. If you dont have enough speed entering the descent you can get stopped cold. Sometimes it is a ledge drop (say 2 feet) immediately followed by some smaller rocks (6 inches to a ft). If you dont have your weight balanced right you can come off the ledge and slam into the next rock without going over it.

standover has never been a problem for me so it isnt something I look for, but if I only had 1" of clearance that could be a problem.
    I live in the rockies and I'm fortunate enough to ride in places that I do. There is plenty of chunk (think Moab, Fruita, etc). I can remember ONE time that I actually racked myself--it was riding through the desert, not paying attention, hit a hole, front wheel stopped, tried to save it, then wham--down for the count. Hard enough that 6" of extra SO clearance wouldn't have helped.

Other than that, I can't think of any other instance where I had to put both feet down during a ride. I see beginners doing it all the time, though (and complaining about it).

AZ
    banned

NOOBS!!! Now that I have your attention, you will only perform this newb mistake once. This P.S.A. was brought to you by the American Do Not Castrate Yourself Society. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This is the point of stand over. It is not about having room while standing in a parking lot, it is about having some measure of protection while crashing or bailing.
    So again, how many times have you crashed on level ground and landed both feet flat on the ground?

If you are, then you aren't going fast enough when you crash or crashing with very little style
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Thanks all!
    Picking up the new-to-me Karate Monkey SS in just a few hours. Can't wait to try my best to regret lack of SO(as in, riding the crap outta my new bike!)
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

AZ
    banned
    Need pics.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    I told him/her this 5 hours ago on the other thread he/she started.

http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-cor...on-864231.html
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    So again, how many times have you crashed on level ground and landed both feet flat on the ground?
    How many times have you needed your seatbelt when youíve taken your vehicle out to the trailhead? How many times have you needed your helmet on a ride? How many times have you used a chain tool on a ride? Etc. You may ride until 100 and never have needed a measure of stand over or any of the above mentioned points but that doesnít mean itís not important. To make a blanket statement that stand over is not important at all for any rider in any situation (the standard line I was talking about in my first post) is stupid. To decide that minimal stand over is worth the risk because you want the benefits of a bigger bike is a valid decision. I have no respect for guys who ride street bikes without a helmet who say helmets donít do anything. But if you ride a street bike without a helmet and your attitude is ďpiss offĒ Iíll do what I want and if I die in the process so be it, then I have all the respect in the world for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    All that and you still haven't shown where stand over is important.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ...but that doesnít mean itís not important.
    Yes, it does. That's what every sensible person on this thread has been saying. You'd have to have some messed up geometry or body proportions for it to be an issue--AT ALL.

Oh, and I wouldn't advise ever getting a McClung. Imagine the nutwacking that thing could do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    I told him/her this 5 hours ago on the other thread he/she started.

http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-cor...on-864231.html
    Yes, thanks, I did ask in more than one place. When I posted the toe overlap ?, I had yet to ride a 29er and assumed(incorrectly) that it was an issue like it is on my 700c. So THEN I went and test rode(like advised to do in the thread) but then SO was an issue, so I thought asking here would be more appropriate since it is a 29er specific riding real world ?
    So 2 hours posting thread difference times and specific questions for users.
    My apologies for posting 2 threads that were related. But it helped me, so I appreciated it!

Pics later, picking up right now actually!
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

Hi There!
    Yes, thanks, I did ask in more than one place. When I posted the toe overlap ?, I had yet to ride a 29er and assumed(incorrectly) that it was an issue like it is on my 700c. So THEN I went and test rode(like advised to do in the thread) but then SO was an issue, so I thought asking here would be more appropriate since it is a 29er specific riding real world ?
    So 2 hours posting thread difference times and specific questions for users.
    My apologies for posting 2 threads that were related. But it helped me, so I appreciated it!

Pics later, picking up right now actually!
    Not at all saying you shouldn't have posted twice or a hundred times if you want, I'm glad you got it all figured out.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    As requested, pics!
    It took me about 3 hours and blistered fingers to get all the "protective" stickers off the stays & tubes. The guy didn't like cable rub, so there were all these carbon fiber looking sticker rectangles all over.

Shakedown ride this evening of 20 hopefully, gonna be a hot one though...105!
    SO? How close is too close if everything else fits?-image.jpg
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nice. Don't forget to wear a cup.

mtbr member
    And no, I can't count the last time I crashed on a flat surface with both feet at the same time
    That's because that's never happened to anyone who wasn't a complete idiot. Normal people have a testicle-defense reflex which prevents this from happening; if you (or your ancestors) didn't, you wouldn't be here today. It's totally impossible to jump nuts-first into anything; go ahead, try it.

The only way that standover matters is to the extent it dictates how far you can lean the bike over (i.e., when you aren't standing over it).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It's totally impossible to jump nuts-first into anything; go ahead, try it.
    That was hilarious

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ah, the bi-weekly standover height thread.

Two usual opinions:
    1) Stand-over has nothing to do with the proper fit of a bike; and
    2) Some stand-over is nice to have.

Pick one and go with it.

As for my opinion: I know I am a total NOOB (only riding for 22 years with several years of racing mixed in there; and 5 years of working as a shop mechanic) so my opinion has no validity.

Stand-over matters to me. In the US, I am short (5'8" with 30.5" inseam). I won't buy a bike with good top tube length, but no standover height.

I don't think a crash is the only time it is a concern. Ever tried to put a foot or two down when you don't make it up a steep climb? - hello top tube/seat tube. Since I am a NOOB sometimes, I crash and have to get back on my bike on the trail. It is difficult to get you leg over a high top tube - especially on a FS 29er.

I also admit to occasionally stand flatfooted on bikes - long red light, BSing before and after a ride.

While standover height alone is not sufficient to fit/size a bike. Completely ignoring it is not sufficient in fit/sizing a bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    That was hilarious
    And in my case, I am nut free, which makes it even more hilarious!
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Ice Cream Truck