Small FS 29er- Mtbr.com

Thread: Small FS 29er

SoCal mtbr

Small FS 29er

I'm thinking about taking the leap into the 29er world but I'm concerned at my height I may not be benefitting much by switching to a 29er FS bike. Are there any compromises on designs of smaller 29er FS frames? I'm 5'5" and 160lbs with gear. I'm currently on a Trek Top Fuel 69er and love the bike. I already know the benefits of roll over since I already have a 29in front wheel but would I benefit from going full 29er?

The bikes I'm currently looking at are:

RIP9
    Pivot 429
    Gary Fisher Superfly 100

Is there anyone else out there about my height on a 29er? I'd really like to hear your opinion and pics would be awesome!

Ride Fast & Have Fun!
    Aug 2006

Pivot 429

Quote Originally Posted by arashi
    I'm thinking about taking the leap into the 29er world but I'm concerned at my height I may not be benefitting much by switching to a 29er FS bike. Are there any compromises on designs of smaller 29er FS frames? I'm 5'5" and 160lbs with gear. I'm currently on a Trek Top Fuel 69er and love the bike. I already know the benefits of roll over since I already have a 29in front wheel but would I benefit from going full 29er?

The bikes I'm currently looking at are:

RIP9
    Pivot 429
    Gary Fisher Superfly 100

Is there anyone else out there about my height on a 29er? I'd really like to hear your opinion and pics would be awesome!
    arashi, I think you'll be happy with any of the 3 bikes you mentioned! I'm 5'6" and 165 with gear. I race the last 3 years on a dual suspension 26er. Specialized Epic Marathon Carbon. I trained during the winter on a Niner One 9 fully rigid. Now I'm riding the Pivot Mach 429 and it feels like I'm cheating!! Haha!! DW-Link kills it going up and down hills!! I love it!! Here is the link on my build! Good luck!!
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=590912

mtbr member
    Considering that the GF Subaru pro Team has just gone full 29er and their 2 women are 5'4" and 5'2" respectively I don''t think there'll be an issue. Best to get to stand over one personally though and test ride if possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I am 5' 5.5" and ride a medium Specialized Epic 29er.

SoCal mtbr
    Wow Phatyres! That is one S W E E T ride and a great build!!!

LyNx, I'm sure those women would run circles around me all over the mountain on a tricycle! lol But I see your point. I'm going to demo Pivot and Specialized at the end of this month to see how much more work it'll be to pedal a 29er and if I have standover issues. Too bad I can't find any demo's on Niner's in San Diego for some reason and they're located only an hour and a half away too (go figure). Gary Fisher won't have a demo till May so I'll be waiting a little longer for that one.

EthanDM, I don't think Specialized makes a small so you didn't have much of a choice on sizes right? I'll take a look at the geo on that one though.

Thanks for all your replies and I welcome anymore anyone has got out there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Correct, there is no small size offered. Even if there was I think I would still be on the medium anyway.

Ride Fast & Have Fun!
    Aug 2006

Thanks!! You Planning on Racin'?

Wow Phatyres! That is one S W E E T ride and a great build!!!

LyNx, I'm sure those women would run circles around me all over the mountain on a tricycle! lol But I see your point. I'm going to demo Pivot and Specialized at the end of this month to see how much more work it'll be to pedal a 29er and if I have standover issues. Too bad I can't find any demo's on Niner's in San Diego for some reason and they're located only an hour and a half away too (go figure). Gary Fisher won't have a demo till May so I'll be waiting a little longer for that one.

EthanDM, I don't think Specialized makes a small so you didn't have much of a choice on sizes right? I'll take a look at the geo on that one though.

Thanks for all your replies and I welcome anymore anyone has got out there!
    arashi,
    Thanks for the props on the 429!! Bummer you can't demo a Niner by you! Just curious, are planning on racing this bike? Because if so, the Rip 9 and the Pivot 429 are a "little" heavy for that...but I'm gonna do it anyways!! For endurance races it won't matter that much...gotta have comfort!! That Superfly 100 can be built pretty light as long as you have the cash flow for it!! Haha! Good luck and keep us posted on what you try out and wind up getting!!!

mtbr member

Pivot M429

I'm 5' 7", and I rode a small Pivot M429 at a demo in Pennsylvania. It felt perfect.
    Vehor vivo est!

SoCal mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by phatyres
    arashi,
    Thanks for the props on the 429!! Bummer you can't demo a Niner by you! Just curious, are planning on racing this bike? Because if so, the Rip 9 and the Pivot 429 are a "little" heavy for that...but I'm gonna do it anyways!! For endurance races it won't matter that much...gotta have comfort!! That Superfly 100 can be built pretty light as long as you have the cash flow for it!! Haha! Good luck and keep us posted on what you try out and wind up getting!!!
    I'm still drooling over your Pivot...No racing I just want a do everything kinda bike. I know the Superfly 100 is more race oriented but with 100mm front and rear travel plus 29er wheels it should be pretty confortable. I would change those skinny tires though! I will demo before I buy. The fact that Gary Fisher has a life time warranty on the frame and you could get the bike with Trek's Red Shield (replaces all parts including wear (except brake pads and tires) parts for 5 yrs) makes it a really nice package. My Trek dealer treats me really well too so that helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have a new Ellsworth Evolve, size small, smoke ano, with full xt, chris king hubs and headset, stans arch rims, and easton monkeylite carbon low-rise bar. The fork is a Fox f29 fit rlc 120mm and I got the rp23 in the rear. I'm 5' 6" and have had no regrets or issues. The only way I could like it more is if it was less expensive. I'm trying to attach a pic for you, hope it works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small FS 29er-rsz_2p1010001.jpg  

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

If you have a good realtionship with your local shop, that'd pretty much seal the deal for me on the GF SF100. If you're that height then weight savings to me would be key and the SF will have a big up already over most others with it's frame weight. Unless you get to demo any others and fall in love with another brand, I'd say you're a Gary Fisher ride rnow

I'm still drooling over your Pivot...No racing I just want a do everything kinda bike. I know the Superfly 100 is more race oriented but with 100mm front and rear travel plus 29er wheels it should be pretty confortable. I would change those skinny tires though! I will demo before I buy. The fact that Gary Fisher has a life time warranty on the frame and you could get the bike with Trek's Red Shield (replaces all parts including wear (except brake pads and tires) parts for 5 yrs) makes it a really nice package. My Trek dealer treats me really well too so that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm just about your size & the small Rip9 fits me fine.

SoCal mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    If you have a good realtionship with your local shop, that'd pretty much seal the deal for me on the GF SF100. If you're that height then weight savings to me would be key and the SF will have a big up already over most others with it's frame weight. Unless you get to demo any others and fall in love with another brand, I'd say you're a Gary Fisher ride rnow
    That's what I'm thinking too but I'm gonna keep an open mind till I demo all of them. It would suck to drop that kinda cash only to one day ride one of those bike on my short list that I never got to demo and love it more...Sigh, life can be so cruel! lol

Quote Originally Posted by shortyniner
    I have a new Ellsworth Evolve, size small, smoke ano, with full xt, chris king hubs and headset, stans arch rims, and easton monkeylite carbon low-rise bar. The fork is a Fox f29 fit rlc 120mm and I got the rp23 in the rear. I'm 5' 6" and have had no regrets or issues. The only way I could like it more is if it was less expensive. I'm trying to attach a pic for you, hope it works.
    Wow, I never even considered Ellsworth cause I thought they only carried 26ers. That's a pretty sweet ride too. I'll have to see if there's gonna be a LBS that will have a demo for them.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnieA
    I'm just about your size & the small Rip9 fits me fine.
    Could you post a pic of your sweet ride? So far none of the small 29ers I have seen look strange (in a bad way) with a small frame and huge wheels...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    arashi,

I would be willing to bet that you are going to have a pretty hard time trying to get a size small demo evolve. I tried and was unable to get one in any sort of a timely fashion. What I ended up doing was riding a truth that a buddy owned and riding some full squish 29er's and then taking a $5k leap of faith that the evolve was going to behave like the truth except with the 29er wheels. It did, and I really like it. There are a lot of reviews that seem to list pedal bob when standing and climbing as a real weakness for this bike, but I assure you that is not a factor. Mine is properly sagged at about 20% and I have not even felt the need to turn on the propedal of the rp23. The wheelbase is short enough for it to still handle well in tight sections (no, not quite as good as a 26 hardtail, but good. Even with a small frame and running 175mm cranks I have had no issues with toe rub or front wheel clearance (this was one thing that I could find nothing about on the web and was concerned with.). Lateral rigidity is awesome! The thing that sticks out most when you ride it is that the faster it goes the better it behaves. It is still a comfortable bike to just cruise around on, but any old bike will do for that. This thing shines when you push it hard on some singletrack, and the tubeless tires coupled with the very active suspension make you feel like Spiderman on Wheels The bike is exactly what I was hoping for and If this weather would clear up I could get some real riding done without having to spend 2 hours cleaning after each ride ( I can't let my baby stay dirty).

Members who have read this thread: 0