Sliding Dropouts?- Mtbr.com
    Caged Animal
    Sep 2007

Sliding Dropouts?

Hello All:
    I have a major question on my mind - I am looking to buy a new steel ot ti hardtail frame and many of the models out there have sliding dropouts. I plan to only run it as a geared 29er and I am 195lbs and pretty tough on my rigs. My worry is all these slider configurations look frail, complicated, and like they could be prone to slippage?? For example Voodoo Dambala or Lynskey Ridgeline. Any views out there? Should I find a frame w/ standard vertical drops or should I be unafraid to go w/ sliders?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have a pereira with paragon dropouts that I have been running geared for the past 10 months or so. They have been totally problem free. I check them occasionally to be certain they are tight. Other than that there has been no slipping or any other issues for that matter. I also like being able to fine tune the wheel base while running it geared.

Good Stuff!
    Last edited by Timmy; 02-06-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    sliders will work fine....many miles on my paragon slider equipped quiring and no slips or any other problems.

i have ran gears on the bike as well, without problems.

LOVE THAT PEREIRA, TIMMY!!!!!
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    i don't think they would be more prone to fail, but if you are not planning on running ss i would go with traditional dropouts.
    check out the bandersnatch i am pretty sure the ridgeline vf model has standard dropouts.

local trails rider
    I have been OK on sliders on my singlespeed 26er.

If the bike is definitely going to stay multi-geared, I'd prefer to keep the parts count down and go for fixed dropouts. They'll stay put.

mtbr member
    It make sence to use blue locktite to keep bolts tight.

P.S. Some riders convert their multigear to ss for winter season.

mtbr member
    Sliders can be a problem, but it's just a matter of setting them up carefully. It's not as if you have to move them often.

Basically, make sure the sliders are properly aligned with the bolts tensioned down tight.

One area that can cause a problem is if the disk mount is at about 1 o'clock, heavy use of the brake will push the lhs side forward. I had this problem on a sliding dropout On-One but fixed it by setting the lhs chain tensioner the other way round, and also using more torque on the sliding dropout adjustment bolts.

I had slippage problem with my Voodoo on only 2 occasions. Both were because the paint under the sliding dropout "slipped". The answer was to remove the paint from the contact areas. The Voodoo paint seemed very plastic under pressure - no problem with it otherwise.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Caged Animal
    Sep 2007
    I've been eyeing up the Bandersnatch. I'm 5'10" and the 18" frame (medium) has an effective top tube of 615mm, which seems like it would be very stretched out for me. I could run a stubby stem, but probably ruin the intended positioning. The 16" is 600mm, which is what I feel to be as long as I want to go, but I'm guessing I would have a ton of seatpost out? No LBS around here has them for me to see in person...

Caged Animal
    Sep 2007
    I've been eyeing up the Bandersnatch. I'm 5'10" and the 18" frame (medium) has an effective top tube of 615mm, which seems like it would be very stretched out for me. I could run a stubby stem, but probably ruin the intended positioning. The 16" is 600mm, which is what I feel to be as long as I want to go, but I'm guessing I would have a ton of seatpost out? No LBS around here has them for me to see in person...

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Looks like Tony has another one in the queue. Hopefully we'll be seeing pictures of that in the near future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisreilly
    maybe post here or on your local board to see if anybody has one for you to throw a leg over. fwiw, i have a few friends who are about your height, and they all ride 18" jabberwockys and bandersnatches.

Members who have read this thread: 0