slack head angle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

slack head angle

What is the slackest head angle for an all mountain 29 er? I have looked at lenz and norco.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lenz may be one of the the slackest in the FS category. The new Sultan and the soon-to-come Banshee are also pretty slack. I have no idea what Norco makes. HTs- you have several options...the Paradox being one. 69-70 degrees is great for technical riding, and still pretty good for fast twisties and sharp switchbacks- will be a bit floppy in certain situtuations but easy to adjust to.

Naturally Organic
    Canfield Yelli Screamy has a 69d HTA w/ 100mm Fork...~68d w/ a 120mm...could be considered slack...

The By:Stickel 29ers have slack HTA...

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce9er
    The By:Stickel 29ers have slack HTA...
    Bystickels have whatever HTA they want to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Bystickels have whatever HTA they want to have.
    Exactly...most are not "slack" by a long shot.

Plays with tools
    my XC hardtail has a 70* HT angle is that slack enough for you

mtbr member
    I think if you're asking the question as in, what is the slackest head angle you would consider for AM, then that's all personal preference, if it's what is the slackest HA out right now, that would have to be the Lenz bikes I think at around 67-68* AFAIK. I recently moved to a Banshee Paradox and had never ridden a bike with a HA slacker than 71*, not even a 26er, so I didn't know what to expect, but I can safely say I don't want a bike with a HA steeper than 69* again This thing absolutely rips on the downs and still climbs like a scared mtn goat. Eagerly awaiting the intro of the Prime from them, couple the "stock" HA of about 67-68 with an angleset headset and you can tweak it to perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by canyondave
    What is the slackest head angle for an all mountain 29 er? I have looked at lenz and norco.
    Last edited by LyNx; 11-15-2010 at 05:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You don't want to go to slack, it's okay on hard surfaces but over the winter in mud it becomes very unstable and becomes very floppy and keeps wanting to lie down.

Same with 26" but you can go 2degrees slacker before the effect takes place.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    but you can go 2degrees slacker before the effect takes place.
    2 degrees slacker than ????
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well the angle which will work for you varys depending on the fork offset and likely the rides weight and weight bias.

At 220lb's 70degree head angle with a 29" wheel is fine, 69d starts to go all screwy standard Reba 38mm offset, 67d starts to go screwy for me with a 26" wheel.

Current bike is 69d 26" wheel fitted, drops to 67d with 29" wheel fitted, great on rocks and hard pack but anything slippy and it just wants to lie down. ( I accept this moves my weight back to )

WNC Native

Are your numbers sagged or unsagged?

I'm going to be having a custom steel frame made soon and I'm debating how slack to go with the HT angle. I'm also 215-220lbs myself. I've figured out that with a rigid fork I really like 70.5-71 degrees, however this bike will be built around a 100mm fork. I'm debating 69-70 degrees at sag.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    I'm going to be having a custom steel frame made soon and I'm debating how slack to go with the HT angle. I'm also 215-220lbs myself. I've figured out that with a rigid fork I really like 70.5-71 degrees, however this bike will be built around a 100mm fork. I'm debating 69-70 degrees at sag.
    100mm sagged on that Chumba I got from you is awesome handling. I think that's 71 deg isn't it? Put a 120 on that and it'd be a bit slacker...

mtbr member
    It's hard to discuss geometry, particularly HTA, when folks are simply changing it up with varying fork lengths. You really cannot get a true feel for the characteristics dictated specifically by the change in angle simply because your weight is being moved around (as well as every other geometry component being changed as well.) I am currently running a 68.5* HTA (sagged) with a 140mm fork, and not experiencing anything close to what is being described above...however, the bike was designed with that fork & HTA in mind.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My hard tail is running a 120 fork with a unsagged HA of 68.5 ( most likely 69.5 sagged.) Its feels "spot on" to me and I do not like anything steeper ( I have ridden a bunch.). Now if it was a FS rig I guess could get away with a bit steeper because as the fork sits in its sag, so is the rear and it "should retain its HA. My FS 26er was at 67.5 and loved it for all around ripping.
    Enjoy every ride!