skinnies and Midge on what steel frame?- Mtbr.com
    drc
    annoyingly cautious
    Jan 2004

skinnies and Midge on what steel frame?

I have a Midge and 700x35's on a large Mt Tam. I'm using 60mm of spacers and a 75mmx40d stem to get the bars in the right place. It looks strange but feels okay. The pedals come very close to the ground. I am thinking a shorter TT bike (med KM or Inbred) and longer stem might work better and still allow me the flexibility to run big tires if I want. it looks like the Inbred has a little more BB clearance. Or should I just go for a 'cross frame and keep the Mt Tam for off road? Ideas and feedback welcome. I'm 6' tall, 34" 'bike' inseam.
    Thanks!
    Dan Caruso
    Reno, NV

Aug 2005

<>

DC -
    I have a Surly Cross Check in a similar set-up to what you describe. I had WTB dirt drops on it at first then transitioned to the Midge's, which by the way are the best off-road drops ever IMHO. I rode this bike everywhere and it's my all time favorite. It is set-up with a Salsa 40d stem and the fit is really good for everything from the trails to roads. I just bought a new KM last month and it works well with the Midge's and 25d Bonty stem too. Either bike is a blast but overall I like the XC set-up fixed gear with the Midge's and the Monkey in more of a, dare I say, 'trail bike' configuration with risers. If you decide on an XC remember that you can run up to a 45c tire (~1.75) should you decide that you'd like to hit the dirt too. The KM's are great with drops too and there are some good pictures over on the Surly forum if you need a visual. As for clearance issues I've never had a problem with the Surly's and I'm one of the few idiots to run 175 cranks on a fixed gear. Yes I've decked a few logs and rocks on the trails!
    I rode an On-One for the first time recently and I have to say that those frames are another good deal for the money. Tough decision but either way you're going to end up with a cool bike. Keep us posted on what you decide....

Recovering couch patato
    For a slick looking setup with few spacers, IMO you'd need a big difference between top of headtube and BB. The Niner might be it, but the toptube is quite long, you decide whether that will work for you.
    Then, the Niner's BB is low too. Headtube is tall because of being built around a 100mm fork as it seems.
    IMO a good Midge setup asks for a weird body style or a custom frame. I don't like too freaky stem setups. My personal advantage is that I like my bars low. I'll run a Midge one day. One day...

Not because I'm fast.....

I-Dub1 is right on with the cross check recommendation

You can get some nice fat tires in there and it rides well on road and dirt. Lots of fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Not steel, but I always think of Matt Chester when drop bars and skinnies are mentioned. He is a true guru, as that's his favorite personal setup and riding style.

The Crosscheck would be a very good, inexpensive and quicker choice in steel.

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drc
    I have a Midge and 700x35's on a large Mt Tam. I'm using 60mm of spacers and a 75mmx40d stem to get the bars in the right place. It looks strange but feels okay. The pedals come very close to the ground. I am thinking a shorter TT bike (med KM or Inbred) and longer stem might work better and still allow me the flexibility to run big tires if I want. it looks like the Inbred has a little more BB clearance. Or should I just go for a 'cross frame and keep the Mt Tam for off road? Ideas and feedback welcome. I'm 6' tall, 34" 'bike' inseam.

CX bikes are always fun, so I'll not try to steer you away from that...

I run dirt drops on 26" MTBs and to me a short top tube is really important. I could not imagine that a Fisher with Dirt Drop, Midge, etc. would ever be comfortable. I'm about your size (maybe a little taller) and the most comfortable bike I've ridden with dirt drops has a 22.5" top tube with an 11cm stem. I tried setting up a 23" TT bike, but could never make it as comfortable. So, yes if you want DIrt Drops, I'd opt for a smaller frame.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

drc
    annoyingly cautious
    Jan 2004

thanks for the responses

I think I'll shop for a used cross check. Matt Chester does beautiful work but I don't think I'm ready to commit that kind of investment until I've tried it and know I like it. I like fat tires because I'm a comfort sissy even on tarmac. I might just move the Midges over to my recently acquired large Monkey with the Big Apples. The TT on the KM is a wee bit shorter than the Tam, anyway.

Members who have read this thread: 0