Dec 2007

SJ HT expert 29 or Cannondale Flash F1 29er

I've come down to my final two bikes.
    SJ HT expert 29 (carbon)

or

Cannondale Flash F1 (alloy)

I would put X0 on either of them.

Anyone with a similar dilemma?

The Cannondale is quite a bit more than I wanted to spend and won't be available until later.

The Specialized is even more than the cannondale but is available right now.

And, I'm broke. But like fast bikes.

mtbr member
    Tough choice. Carbon frame or Lefty fork...hmmm...decisions decisions.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why not wait and get the Carbon Flash?

I heard (third person...grain of salt) that delivery on the Flash carbon would be in March.

I'm riding a Carbon 29er, and gotta say I've been really impressed with how smooth it feels descending....and I was coming off of a steel 29er....to a Carbon frame.

So, for me...if the Flash Carbon wasn't an option...I'd choose the SJ Carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by nocondorfx
    I've come down to my final two bikes.
    SJ HT expert 29 (carbon)

or

Cannondale Flash F1 (alloy)

I would put X0 on either of them.

Anyone with a similar dilemma?

The Cannondale is quite a bit more than I wanted to spend and won't be available until later.

The Specialized is even more than the cannondale but is available right now.

And, I'm broke. But like fast bikes.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    scandium is the best poor mans carbon.......ie niners scandium air 9...........but you just can't beat carbon on weight/ride comfort and performance/stiffness...........

May 2009
    Get carbon. Its what all the cool kids are riding.

Until you crash it hard. Then its junk!
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I recently chose the Stumpjumper carbon expert, but I did not find a Flash to try out. I was planning to get an alloy ht, but when I tested carbon vs. alloy back to back, the difference in responsiveness and feel was great enough to justify the extra money for carbon. I would have liked to have been able to test a carbon flash, but no one has them yet that I could find. Perhaps Cannondale is losing a lot of sales by not getting those bikes out earlier, but perhaps they are doing the best they can.

However, in my decision I also factored in that the last time I tested out a carbon 29er Lefty I actually didn't like it that much. The carbon version seemed not quite as nice feeling as the alloy lefty on my scalpel, and also the 80mm of travel did not feel like quite enough to me - it seemed to get overwhelmed in the places that I prefer suspension over a rigid fork anway. The 90mm fork travel on the stumpjumper is not much more, but overall I actually liked the feel of the fox fork better anway. The best feeling 29er fork I've tried was the FOX 100mm with qr15 on the new Giant 29er ht, but Giant isn't making a full carbon frame ht this year, and so far doesn't even have a 29er ht with a decent component spec. (the one I tested, XTC 1, had deore cranks and juicy 3 brakes that didn't even stop well in the parking lot - really nice fork with a tapered steerer tube though.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    i made my decision.

before:
    26" and heavy as ****
    cannondale f5

after:
    29" and 23.85lbs of delightful carbon goodness.
    2010 stumpjumper HT expert carbon 29er

redwin x0
    upgraded x0 grip shifters
    upgraded pg-990 cassette
    xtr pedals
    non drive side
    2 2010 carbon specializeds'

And my cool new shirt from PBK. Even though I don't always practice what I preach. ala watching the olympics tonight and drinking over riding the trainer.

One Colorful Rider
    Looking at this Bike. I'm selling My McDonalds Gary Fisher and thinking on getting
    one of the last USA Made Cannondales.

Always wanted to try a Lefty might as well be a Carbon Lefty.

It's February and there is more than Foot of snow on the ground. I wait for it.

http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...1-Flash-29er-1

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    sweet bike, much sexier curves than a cannondale.......

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    i say go with the specialized you cant go wrong, the bike is super stiff and repsonsive its geomtry it great and it just looks beautiful and im not just saying that casue i sell them im saying it becasue i have riden one several times. its a GREAT bike
    REQUIRED : I sell stuff at http://bikesetcbossier.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Different geos

One thing that is a bigger deal than alu vs carbon or waiting time is the fact that the cannondale has a rather different geometry, the trail number is much higher.

so do you like a bike with more or less trail?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard
    One thing that is a bigger deal than alu vs carbon or waiting time is the fact that the cannondale has a rather different geometry, the trail number is much higher.

so do you like a bike with more or less trail?
    Hey guys, newbie here. I stumbled into this thread because I am also targeting one of these bikes. Could you explain the trail number, or provide a link with some additional info??? I would say right now I'm leaning towards the Stumpy b/c it is the only one currently available for test ride. Also, the Specialized dealer seams much more knowledable. I don't even have a 26 version of the Flash available for test ride Any additiona;l info is appreciated.

Members who have read this thread: 0