Sizing Question Niner vs. Giant Anthem X 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Sizing Question Niner vs. Giant Anthem X 29er

okay, okay - I know the only way to truly get sized it to ride the darn things...but just looking for any impressions out there.

I currently ride the Niner SIR9 in a medium with a 100 mm fork which Niner says has an ETT of 23.9 with a 100 mm fork. I have a shorter stem on there of 90 mm set up negative with Easton XC low rise bars. Setback Thomson seat post. The fit is pretty much spot on.

Looking to pull the trigger on the Anthem X 29er. Just need to decide which size - M or L. The purpose of the bike will be XC 50 to 100 mile races and possibly some 24 hr in there. Giant has the ETT listed on its website as 23.4 for the M and 24.2 for the L.

Right now I am thinking the M is the way to go, especially with longer wheelbase for the FS which matches that of the L Niner SIR 9.

Additionally, for a cross country race, I believe it is better to go slightly smaller than too big. Thanks for your thoughts.

mtbr member
    how tall are you and what's your true inseam?

Im 5 11 with a 34 inch inseam. long arms. L is perfect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm in the same boat. I am right in the middle, I think. I'm really close to 6' with an inseam of 34 too, and would normally just pick the Large. But with a 29er I thought the smaller frame size might be easier for obstacles on the trail. The stand over hight is a little too close for comfort on the Large but the length of the cockpit feels really close on the both bikes. I think the little extra room on the medium might win me over but I haven't taken this bike on any long rides to be sure. Any feedback?

smell my finger
    Mar 2008
    I would go for the more comfortable cockpit, I wouldn't worry so much about standover. For endurance racing standover means little..

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 9" and am on a Med Anthem 29'r . 29" inseam. Go large unless you want a yardstick for a seat post ,and a 120mm stem...

With the large you can run a shorter stem(than stock) and enjoy snapper steering

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I am 5' 10' with a 32in inseam I test rode both the medium (felt a little small) and large (reach felt to long) around the parking lot and was still unsure which would be a better fit. I think either would work with a different length stem but I am not sure what is ideal. What does every one think??

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Went with the Medium

So I ended up going with the medium. It just felt better when I tested it against the large and I have been playing with the set up a bit and have gotten pretty close to my set up. This is a cross country bike - I think if I had more all mountain intentions, the large may have been my choice but I am happy with the medium.

As for the Anthem, haven't ridden it too much yet - still setting it up, but the anthem suspension is darn good from what I can tell. Will report more when I put it to a real test.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by laxcat
    I am 5' 10' with a 32in inseam I test rode both the medium (felt a little small) and large (reach felt to long) around the parking lot and was still unsure which would be a better fit. I think either would work with a different length stem but I am not sure what is ideal. What does every one think??
    If you are trying to decide between the same bike and model and just choose M or L, then I would ask you to more carefully think how each size felt. Then taking into account each of there current stem lengths, I would choose which ever frame requires the smallest stem length change. Does that make sense? If the M requires another 20mm in stem, and the L requires 10mm less, I'd go for the L.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Wouldn't the larger size always need a shorter stem to create the same effective length as the top tube on the large is longer, given the stock stem is the same length. Anyone know what the stock stem length is on the medium and the large. From my test ride the large stem seems about 10-20mm to long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by laxcat
    Wouldn't the larger size always need a shorter stem to create the same effective length as the top tube on the large is longer, given the stock stem is the same length. Anyone know what the stock stem length is on the medium and the large. From my test ride the large stem seems about 10-20mm to long.
    Yes, I didn't say anything different. I guess you just didn't understand what I said.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    All good feedback. I have several bikes and seem to be able to adapt to either med or large. I guess my problem is that I can't tell the difference. So unfortunately, I'm just being indecisive. I like the idea of shorter stem for steering response but was thinking also about the weight difference in frame size. I know it can't be too much but always a thought. Lastly, I typically ride a bike for a year and sell it, which size has a better resell value?

Members who have read this thread: 0