Which size monocog?

Printable View

• 04-05-2013
    edge
    Which size monocog?
    Trying to get my friend on a monocog. People at the dealer are saying he should ride a 15 and I'm thinking he should be on a 17 with a shorter stem. He's about 5'7". He rides a 17 heckler with no problem. Any reason to downsize when going to a 29er? first one to say "ride both" gets a prize.
  • 04-05-2013
    phsycle
    Generally speaking, he would be better on a 15". Check the Monocog specs. The TT is slightly longer than normal "15" bike.

That said, everyone's different. Ride both.
  • 04-06-2013
    driver bob
    I'm just about 5'11", 32" in-seem and ride 17" (Medium) Monocog with about 380mm of post.

I'm running a short stem (70mm) and it's feels great for me. Your friend (at 5'7") may well be better on the 15" but internet sizing is always difficult to nail. My first thought is that even with a short stem "reach" might still be a "stretch" on the medium.

Nothing beats a test ride and fitting session at the LBS.
  • 04-06-2013
    shankes3
    I am 5'9" and I have been riding a 15" monocog frame since 2007. I love it. For riding trails I do have the seat raised to about it's maximum (there might be 14" of post above the collar) but I love the stand-over and ability to throw the thing around turns. My stem is either 110 or 120 and that feels really good with a 1" riser.
  • 04-06-2013
    edge
    Thanks for the feedback. He sat on my wife's small monocog flight and looked cramped to me and she has a stupid long stem on it. Standover was just ok.. Then I read that the small monocog is longer in the top tube than the medium flight.