Size L for a Ripmo? (5í10Ē)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Size L for a Ripmo? (5í10Ē)

I know this is mostly personal preference but I could use some feedback or advice before I buy this bike. Iím 5í10Ē, +1 ape index, strong/athletic but newbie biker. Ripmo has 471mm reach and 1220mm wheelbase.

Iíve tested a medium and large Ripmo. I liked both but felt better with the large. Iím wondering if anyone has any experience with this bike at my height, or if I should look to a different bike where Iím not between sizes. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Reach numbers on the new geo bikes like the Ripmo are not really comparable to older geo bikes. I am 6'0.5" and test rode a XL Ripmo and it did feel a tad too big. I would think 5'10" with a +1 ape factor would be ideal for a Large Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thank you for the response. Are you on a L Ripmo? Also, why do you say theyíre not comparable? Because of the steep seat tube?

mtbr member
    I am 5'7" with longer legs and just bought a medium ripmo. I am running a 185mm dropper because I need post extension, but large would have been too big for me. I would say you are perfect on a large however.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikinson View Post
    Thank you for the response. Are you on a L Ripmo? Also, why do you say theyíre not comparable? Because of the steep seat tube?
    Yes, reach is measured from a perpendicular line extending up from the bottom bracket and is independent of the STA.

mtbr member
    Not a Ripmo but I test rode Ripleys and the M felt too small. The L felt right.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'm 5'9 and bought the medium, I have a long torso and short arms/legs. 50mm stem. Seat dead center. Feels perfect. If I was doing shuttles on the norm id had bought a large. You have a tough decision, but if I were you Id be looking hard at the large.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    @Lone Ranger

Are you 5í10Ē as well?

mtbr member
    I forgot to put in that I'm 5'9"...and those were the new '20 Ripleys.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If the large felt better to you, then probably listen to what your body told you as it was right. You're squarley in the large size according to the Ripmo sizing guide which has 5'8" to 6'1" in the large bracket.
    https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/ripmo/

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    @Xlr8n

Youíre right. Itís just that it was a short test ride, and I hear/read about people sizing down and that the modern bikes are getting too long. As a newer rider, I liked the length and stability of the bike, but I want to make sure Iím not limiting my abilities down the road to be able to handle/throw it around. Iím pretty sure Iíll be buying one this weekend.

aka bOb
    I'm 5'9 1/2" and have been right in the middle of sizing for every Ibis I've owned and I've had larges and Mediums. I really wanted to stick with Ibis but didn't want to have to go up to a large again (due to wheelbase) so I went with a different option where a medium would work. Ok now I didn't have any saddle time but most said I needed a large except for Ibis themselves which said a medium would work. Heck even JKW said I should go large as he felt they ran small. I say if the large felt good go with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    @bdundee

So did you get a Ripmo recently? Also, if you feel that youíre between sizes, why not look at other bikes? I think this last question is my main conundrum, although Iíve found that the Evil Offering and new Rip9 are the only other bikes Iíve seen that have geometry that would be between a medium and a large Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    FWIW: I demoed a new Ripley for two days lately. The large was a perfect fit for me at 5'11". I have a shorter torso and longer legs and arms. Sounds like you want a large Ripmo.

mtbr member
    5í10Ē here, not on a Ripmo but riding a bike with a 480mm reach and loving it. Honestly think youíre not between sizes at all and would be dialed on the large. Youíll also hopefully get the benefit of moving your seat more forward over the cranks for an improved climbing position compared to the medium.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    @Shredmonkey

Thanks for the response! What bike do you have?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    177cm and happy with my Ripmo in L.

aka bOb
    @bdundee

So did you get a Ripmo recently? Also, if you feel that youíre between sizes, why not look at other bikes? I think this last question is my main conundrum, although Iíve found that the Evil Offering and new Rip9 are the only other bikes Iíve seen that have geometry that would be between a medium and a large Ripmo.
    Yeah because of sizing and not wanting the longer wheelbase of the large Ripmo I went with the Offering in size medium.

mtbr member
    @Shredmonkey

Thanks for the response! What bike do you have?
    Stumpjumper Evo S3, 40mm stem, seat slammed forward.
    Wasnít %100 sure going this long at first. Was riding the smaller S2 for a bit, liked it but still felt like my center of gravity was too high when out of the saddle.
    Minor downside is itís slightly harder to pop the front wheel up when not fully committed, but other than that all I can say is that at speed and in technical steep terrain the bike feels how I always imagined a mountain bike should feel for aggressive riding. Feels more like being ďinĒ the bike and not on top of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    This is just regarding wheelbase length. I wouldn't necessarily base my decision on that measurement alone. Over the course of my last three bikes, they have each had a longer wheelbase than the one previous. In each case, due to other design characteristics such as STA, HTA, etc., I've found they have been more capable of making difficult, tight, climbing switchbacks. To me, that would be the only drawback to a longer wheelbase and it has not been my experience that the increase has been a problem. On the downhill sections, the longer wheelbase has been an advantage. I'd go with the large. My son, who is 6'2" tall, was on the cusp between the L and XL and went with the XL (as the sizing would suggest). He also was concerned with the wheelbase increase, but he's loving it. I rode with him yesterday and he was cleaning crazy tight climbing switchbacks with no problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    This is just regarding wheelbase length. I wouldn't necessarily base my decision on that measurement alone. Over the course of my last three bikes, they have each had a longer wheelbase than the one previous. In each case, due to other design characteristics such as STA, HTA, etc., I've found they have been more capable of making difficult, tight, climbing switchbacks. To me, that would be the only drawback to a longer wheelbase and it has not been my experience that the increase has been a problem. On the downhill sections, the longer wheelbase has been an advantage. I'd go with the large. My son, who is 6'2" tall, was on the cusp between the L and XL and went with the XL (as the sizing would suggest). He also was concerned with the wheelbase increase, but he's loving it. I rode with him yesterday and he was cleaning crazy tight climbing switchbacks with no problems.
    Can confirm this as well. It seems counter intuitive but as long as the switchback is physically possible it actually seems easier with a longer wheelbase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I struggled with the longer wheelbase geometry of these newer bikes for all of about a day. The benefits far outweigh any tight corner maneuvering issues.

aka bOb
    I mainly didn't want the longer wheelbase for jump lines (about 80% of my riding). After coming off of bigger bikes I prefer the shorter wheelbase for playing around in the air and all around fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
    The benefits far outweigh any tight corner maneuvering issues.
    Thank you for the response! My other concerns were possibly having a difficult time weighting the front wheel and getting the front of the bike up, but after my demo and hearing all the feedback I am not as concerned.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am 5í9Ē with 32Ē inseam and long wing span. The medium Ripmo felt too cramped. Went with the large and it fits great!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm 5'11" with standard proportions and did a lenghty demo on a large Ripmo and it fit perfectly. Love the way it rode with the exception that it was not as plush as the new Bronson, Stumpy or Instinct BC. Just sayin. That new SC lower link is just so plush but still pedals awesome so I'm holding out to try the new Hightower.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr View Post
    I'm 5'11" with standard proportions and did a lenghty demo on a large Ripmo and it fit perfectly. Love the way it rode with the exception that it was not as plush as the new Bronson, Stumpy or Instinct BC. Just sayin.
    Thatís good to hear. As far as plushness, Iím used to a 120 F/R bike so they all feel nice. I actually liked the Stumpy but I wanted to get something with more ďmodernĒ geo. What bike did you go with?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm 5'8" with +1 ape index and 30" inseam. Demoed a large Ripmo yesterday and it fit great. It did have 50mm stem and wide bars which I'd switch for a 40mm and 760mm bars to shorten it up a tad and squeeze between trees easier.

Coming from moto I tend to like a longer stable bike and being able to ride a large and still drop the saddle 175-185mm made cornering amazing.

mtbr member
    I know this is mostly personal preference but I could use some feedback or advice before I buy this bike. Iím 5í10Ē, +1 ape index, strong/athletic but newbie biker. Ripmo has 471mm reach and 1220mm wheelbase.

Iíve tested a medium and large Ripmo. I liked both but felt better with the large. Iím wondering if anyone has any experience with this bike at my height, or if I should look to a different bike where Iím not between sizes. Thank you!
    You can certainly go either way with the size. Although, I would lean to the Large for you. You didn't mention what stem length each bike had? You should demo the large with different stem lenghts as well as different ergonomic adjustments such as bar height, and seat fore/aft.

If you're near Austin I offer Free demos for a few days at a time and have both Med and Large Ripmos available.

I once had a customer demo the Ripmo who didn't like it. I asked her what it was she didn't like and she mentioned the handlebar was too wide. I suggested she keep the demo longer and swap the handlebar to the one she currently had on her bike. She loved the bike on her next ride.

Little things can make a difference!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I'm almost your exact same size and build, 5'10" with +1.75 ape, and am riding a Large Ripmo. For me, the medium definitely felt too small just sitting on it. I did change to a shorter 40mm stem and 25mm rise handlebar, and the fit feels perfect now. I also shortened the handlebar width to 770, which makes the reach feel shorter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorangutan View Post
    You can certainly go either way with the size. Although, I would lean to the Large for you. You didn't mention what stem length each bike had? You should demo the large with different stem lenghts as well as different ergonomic adjustments such as bar height, and seat fore/aft.

If you're near Austin I offer Free demos for a few days at a time and have both Med and Large Ripmos available.

I once has a customer demo the Ripmo who didn't like it. I asked her what it was she didn't like and she mentioned the handlebar was too wide. I suggested she keep the demo longer and swap the handlebar to the one she currently had on her bike. She loved the bike on her next ride.

Little things can make a difference!
    I rode with a 50mm stem, although I would probably change it to a 40mm. The thing is, I was more concerned about the wheelbase and having issues weighting the front wheel for cornering, pulling up the front wheel, and throwing the bike around. Does the stem length help with that stuff? (Not that I really noticed these issues during my test ride, but itís hard to catch everything with a few hours on a new bike).

The only other bikes Iím considering at this point are a L Rip9 (new) and a M Offering. And thatís just because I have this (nonsensical?) idea that theyíre the ďperfectĒ size for me. Haha. Anyway, Iím trying out an Offering tomorrow so unless that feels magical Iím gonna order a Ripmo. I liked the Ripmo to begin with, Iím just trying to cover all my bases with these test rides.

Your demo program sounds amazing. Unfortunately I live in the Bay Area. It costs about $100 per test ride, so you can only justify so many rides before youíre in a little deep.

Also, this is a general question, but I noticed a lot of pedal strikes with the Ripmo. I think I may have had too much sag, but I assume this can be an issue with any of these ďmodernĒ bikes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    @jrs77

Thanks for the response. The 25mm rise handlebar puts your hands up higher, right? You didnít feel that the stack was already high enough?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    @jrs77

Thanks for the response. The 25mm rise handlebar puts your hands up higher, right? You didnít feel that the stack was already high enough?
    That's correct. I was having some neck soreness after long rides, and the higher stack has fixed that issue. The additional rise, shorter stem, and narrower bar puts me a little more upright. It also seems I'm better able to maneuver the bike with this set-up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Iím just under 5í10Ē and ride a large with 40mm stem, 780mm bars, 185mm dropper, and 170mm cranks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thatís good to hear. As far as plushness, Iím used to a 120 F/R bike so they all feel nice. I actually liked the Stumpy but I wanted to get something with more ďmodernĒ geo. What bike did you go with?
    Still haven't picked one. Probably going with the 2020 Hightower. Figured I liked the Bronson's ride the best but want a 29er so the new Hightower should combine them both.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I am 5.11 ish (181 cm) and have a large Ripmo. Tried a 40 stem but felt cramped so I went back with the 50. I would definitely get the large.

mtbr member
    I rode with a 50mm stem, although I would probably change it to a 40mm. The thing is, I was more concerned about the wheelbase and having issues weighting the front wheel for cornering, pulling up the front wheel, and throwing the bike around. Does the stem length help with that stuff? (Not that I really noticed these issues during my test ride, but itís hard to catch everything with a few hours on a new bike).

The only other bikes Iím considering at this point are a L Rip9 (new) and a M Offering. And thatís just because I have this (nonsensical?) idea that theyíre the ďperfectĒ size for me. Haha. Anyway, Iím trying out an Offering tomorrow so unless that feels magical Iím gonna order a Ripmo. I liked the Ripmo to begin with, Iím just trying to cover all my bases with these test rides.

Your demo program sounds amazing. Unfortunately I live in the Bay Area. It costs about $100 per test ride, so you can only justify so many rides before youíre in a little deep.

Also, this is a general question, but I noticed a lot of pedal strikes with the Ripmo. I think I may have had too much sag, but I assume this can be an issue with any of these ďmodernĒ bikes?
    Pedal strike complaints are common when moving to a new bike with 'modern' geometry.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the response! My other concerns were possibly having a difficult time weighting the front wheel and getting the front of the bike up, but after my demo and hearing all the feedback I am not as concerned.
    I was a little worried about that too, coming from an Enduro with super short chainstays. But I'm happy to report that getting the front wheel where I want it has been as easy as ever.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    I'm a shade over 5"11, longish arms on a L Ripmo. Everything is stock. Loving it!
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    large