size advice... my first 29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

size advice... my first 29

I would like to buy my first 29 but I am confused which size is my size?

I am 5,11 3/4 feet. the length from my hip to my foot is 40 inches. my inseam is about 34". weight 163.

my present bike is a HT 26inches size 18.

help me...

mtbr member
    I rode a 26 inch wheeled, 18 inch frame (Kona) and went with a medium Niner. I only made this choice though after riding a test bike.

My suggestion? If you've ridden for a while, you'll know when you get on the right size. Test them out

mtbr member

ride same frame size as you have always rode

the designer accounts for clearance, No need to guess.
    29ers are more fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am almost exactly your size (33 1/2 inseam, 5'11 1/2", 167) and I am doing the same thing, going from a 26 to 29er. I was just measured with a digital scanner at Roll a bike shop in Columbus, Ohio and they fitted me to a large in both the Niner Jet 9 and Giant Anthem X and they both felt really comfortable. (I'm actually getting a Santa Cruz Tallboy though as long as it fits the same. Going to look at it next week in a large). Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfms2004
    I would like to buy my first 29 but I am confused which size is my size?

I am 5,11 3/4 feet. the length from my hip to my foot is 40 inches. my inseam is about 34". weight 163.

my present bike is a HT 26inches size 18.

help me...

I'm your exact height and I went with a Large Niner Air9. Perfect fit.

mtbr member
    I say try to get a local shop that has some 29ers in stock and throw a leg over both a Medium and Large and see how they feel. I've been on this forum too long now and know that fit is about as personal as saddle preference; seen guys 6'2" on Mediums and guy 5'10" on Larges, all depends on what, where and how you ride. Me personally if you were a friend of mine I'd have to suggest the Large for your height, but then would also suggest you give both a try - remember on the Large you can always run a shorter stem and on the Medium I wouldn't choose it if you need over a 120mm stem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Short-Change-Hero
    My proportions are close (6ft with 31"inseam but 74" reach) and I am going with a 19.5" frame for something with more than a 24" ETT. Tested this on the new Felt Nine bikes and the 19.5" with a 90mm stem felt perfect for me. So I am building a 19.5" On-One Inbred 29er with a 90mm Race Face Evolve XC stem.

mtbr member
    In general, I found going with the same size frame is the best. There are exceptions and only getting on the bike and checking the sizes will confirm which is best. For example, the Pivots run a bit big and they say at 6', you can ride the M. I'm 6' and the M just didn't work for me, so I got the L - my normal size.

Plays with tools
    NOBODY CAN FIT YOU OVER THE INTERNET! go to your local bike shop and pay them for there time.

Members who have read this thread: 0