"Sitting on" versus "sitting in" SE Stout- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

"Sitting on" versus "sitting in" SE Stout

I'm considering getting an SE Stout 09 or newer but can't find anyone that has one in stock to test fit. I've looked at the geo and have a feel for frame size and such but want to know about the "feel" of the bike. Does it have the feeling on riding "in" the bike versus sitting "on" the bike. I rode a Salsa Mariachi and that bike felt like I was perched up on a platform hovering above the bike. It felt very akward and unstable. I also rode a Specialized Rockhopper and that had the feeling that I was "in" the bike and felt much, much better. Anyone got any insight as to what I might expect out of a Stout? Thanks

get down!
    I think the "in" and "on" of a bike can be attributed to different sizes of the frames. If you're on a frame with a high rise stem, riser bars and a lot of post sticking out then you'll feel "on" the bike vs. the opposite with "in"
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    May 2010

SE Stout

I'm 6'1" and and ride a 19" '09 SE Stout. I particularly purchased this bike because it has nearly the same geometry specs as a 19" Niner, for 1/4 of the price. Test rode the Niner a few times and fell in love with it, just couldn't afford it. The Motobecane also has nearly the same specs too, and it should be available at Performance for a test ride. I think it's a pretty good bike for the price. However i did have to upgrade the cheap-o wheel set because i trashed them in Moab. But that is more my fault. Also I did upgrade the brakes with some juicy's i found on craigslist. Hope this helps. Keep the rubber side down.

mtbr member
    May 2010

SE Stout

I'm 6'1" and and ride a 19" '09 SE Stout. I particularly purchased this bike because it has nearly the same geometry specs as a 19" Niner, for 1/4 of the price. Test rode the Niner a few times and fell in love with it, just couldn't afford it. The Motobecane also has nearly the same specs too, and it should be available at Performance for a test ride. I think it's a pretty good bike for the price. However i did have to upgrade the cheap-o wheel set because i trashed them in Moab. But that is more my fault. Also I did upgrade the brakes with some juicy's i found on craigslist. Hope this helps. Keep the rubber side down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ok, so I checked out the geo on the Specialized verses the Stout and they are very similar. So I should expect the feel to be pretty much the same?? And if not then the stem height and bar width could give me more of an "in" feel???

My spoon is too big!
    Quote Originally Posted by CEKSTOY
    And if not then the stem height and bar width could give me more of an "in" feel???
    It could be as little as changing the bar. My 29'er had a high, narrow riser bar when I bought it, and the bike felt tall, awkward and nervous-handling. When I switched to a wide flat bar, it immediately felt more balanced. The riding position also took on that "inside" the bike feeling.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Members who have read this thread: 0