singular ebb question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

singular ebb question

Has anyone riding a Singular Swift (or other) ever had any trouble with their EBB?
    I'm just asking because some people seem to be against EBB and in favor of sliders. Am considering a Swift purchase, should I worry about it.
    Have been riding a tandem mountainbike with EBB for years without the slightest problem. Have I been lucky?

Feedback anyone?

Thanks.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The Singular comes with a Phil Wood EBB, which is quite precise; the tolerances between it and the bb shell are nice and tight.
    I had some reservations about ebbs too, but my Swift have put them to rest for me. No creaks or slips, and so easy to change gears and tension chain.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Edit: I'm an idiot.

The EBB is rather nice. You shouldn't have any problems at all. Give Marty a call and he'll get you straightened out with any questions you may have.
    Last edited by benwitt11; 02-03-2010 at 08:30 AM.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    Hey Ben,

I'm pretty sure the Singulars use a set-screw EBB. The pics of the Swift on the website show set-screws...Marty can confirm or deny though.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Hey Ben,

I'm pretty sure the Singulars use a set-screw EBB. The pics of the Swift on the website show set-screws...Marty can confirm or deny though.
    Yep, set-screw not split shell EBB. Very solid design. Never had any issues with mine at all.

mtbr member
    I have a Phil Wood EBB on my IF 29er and think it is by far the best solution for SS.

No Slips, No creaks, just perfect chain tension by precision parts.

thanks phil wood

mtbr member
    I have the gyphon with the ebb from Singular. While I don't know how you can say that the Phil Wood ebb is "precise" it just slides in and spins around freely. I can say that I have had great luck with mine. The screws are a larger diameter and have six mm bolts heads, then you use a six mm allen to rotate the bb. I have around 500 miles on mine and have not had any problems what-so-ever. The Phil wood "shell" is a little heavier than some other options but I think is far more reliable. Just like smaxor said I have had no slips, and no creaks. I had sliders put on my new bike and personally like sliders better but for the price of the Swift, to come with a phil ebb, you can't go wrong.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Hey Ben,

Open mouth, insert foot.... Goes to show I shouldn't post before coffee.

Witty McWitterson
    Yep, Singulars are set screw. Ben, caffeine up! I've been on EBB's for about 10 years now[split shell and set screw]. I've never had trouble with them. Yep. Never.
    Just a regular guy.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Working on it. Coffee's going. Call me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ok, thanks for the responses. So, I shouldn't worry there.

One other thing I was wondering about. In singlespeed mode, when the chain is tentioned properly, is it possible to remove the rear wheel without undoing the EBB bolts? As I see it, the rear wheel goes down vertically which means that the distance between bottom bracket and wheel axle get a little longer. Does the chain usually has enough slack to overcome this?

Maybe I worry to much and should just go out and ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by annoying crack
    Ok, thanks for the responses. So, I shouldn't worry there.

One other thing I was wondering about. In singlespeed mode, when the chain is tentioned properly, is it possible to remove the rear wheel without undoing the EBB bolts? As I see it, the rear wheel goes down vertically which means that the distance between bottom bracket and wheel axle get a little longer. Does the chain usually has enough slack to overcome this?

Maybe I worry to much and should just go out and ride!
    You worry too much.

You can remove the rear wheel without futzing with the EBB.

mtbr member

+1

Quote Originally Posted by amblake50
    I have the gyphon with the ebb from Singular. While I don't know how you can say that the Phil Wood ebb is "precise" it just slides in and spins around freely. I can say that I have had great luck with mine. The screws are a larger diameter and have six mm bolts heads, then you use a six mm allen to rotate the bb. I have around 500 miles on mine and have not had any problems what-so-ever. The Phil wood "shell" is a little heavier than some other options but I think is far more reliable. Just like smaxor said I have had no slips, and no creaks. I had sliders put on my new bike and personally like sliders better but for the price of the Swift, to come with a phil ebb, you can't go wrong.

This pretty much sums it up for me - but I've got a Swift.

I've always liked the sliders (I've got 'em on another bike and there's never been a problem with them) - and I had the same concerns before I got my Swift - but I LOVE that bike. The Phil Wood EBB just works - silently I should add . That said I also keep mine clean - I will take it out after a very wet ride, dry it off and re-grease it.

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

Members who have read this thread: 0