Which Singular?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Which Singular?

mtbr member
    May 2007

Which Singular?

I'm trying to consolidate my bike collection down from 4 to just two (loss of large storage area/workshop and lack of money to blame). Already got ride of my fixed road bike, definitely keeping my carbon roadie. So that leaves my 1x9 26er and my SS cross bike that I use as my winter road bike.

So, I figure a 29er with an EBB and dirt drops will be a nice middle ground, that can do duty as a 1x9 winter do-it-all with 35mm Kenda Small Block 8s and a summer SS fun bike with 2.1" mud pluggers. Hence I've narrowed it down to a Singular, but the Peregrine or the new Gryphon?

Peregrine would be better as a winter road bike and touring/shopping bike (rack mounts, more roadie geometry), but the Gryphon is better as an off-roader, and slightly better looking (only slightly). But it doesn't have rack mounts, so hauling loads involves some bodging and P clips.

Gryphon:

Touring Peregrine:

Monstercross Peregrine:

I'm drawn to the Gryphon, but the wait for the frames to be in stock has given me too much time to ponder and change my mind. Help!

mtbr member
    Of those two, I'd probably take the Gryphon if mountain biking was going to play a big role.

Have you thought about the Salsa Fargo? Drop bars and big clearance like the Gryphon, but it has every braze on a guy could hope for.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    I'd go for the Gryphon myself. But maybe that's because I already have one.

Fantastic fun to ride and looks nice too.

mtbr member
    Those Gryphons are sweet!

mtbr member
    It's not that hard to get a rack setup on the Grypho.

Here's a pics of Jase's setup.

mtbr member
    Stu, Jase has got a great looking Gryphon, would you care to divulge for us how he's got those Hydros on the drop bar and what rack he is using?

mtbr member
    Did not have a chance as yet to ride to Gryphon however I own a medium Peregrine so I can only comment on that part.I run it as 1x9 with modified to fit Rampage up front and slightly shaved Cross Mark at the rear and use the bike for Dirt roads, light trails and some road rides, to make it clear these tires does not fit as they are, I went through the trouble to shave them just because I had them used in good shape already and a little time to spare... it work great with slight toe overlap (which will not be a problem with the smaller tires the bike was made for) and it might not be a problem on a large frame.
    I would say for anyon e who want a touring, light trail bike this bike is a great option, However the Gryphon as I can see it is a Drop bars mountain bike with better tire clerence and much better stand over.

Two great bikes to choose from

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a Peregrine and it's a great bike. I think for your purposes you're better off with the Gryphon. The Peregrine isn't the greatest off roader. It's pretty awesome for riding non-technical trails. I have mine setup with an 8sp Alfine IGH and a SB8 in the rear with all of the side knobs shaved off to clear. You should have no problems putting a rack on the Gryphon. Rack mount clamp and disc compatible rack that goes off the QR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jencks
    Stu, Jase has got a great looking Gryphon, would you care to divulge for us how he's got those Hydros on the drop bar and what rack he is using?
    John.

He made up some new mounting brackets for the levers and also tweaked the lever shape.

The rack is the same as I'm using on an El Mariachi. I can't remember what make it is but I'll have a look for you later.

Witty McWitterson
    If you'd like to aim the bike more at MTB use, go for the Gryphon. Sell the carbon roadie, and pick up a carbon cross bike. Best of all worlds right there.
    Just a regular guy.

Apr 2007
    I also vote for an actual MTB instead of a cross bike.

BTW, I also have a fixed and a carbon road bike. I think I'd give up the carbon (Trek 5200) before the fixed (Surly SR). Same with my MTB. The Spec. S-works would go before the Monocog...

mtbr member
    Look at the Karate Monkey has eyelets for fenders or rack.

bmw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What's with the drop bars? Stem goes up, bar comes down.. puts you in the same positions as a moustache or big sweep bar right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw
    What's with the drop bars? Stem goes up, bar comes down.. puts you in the same positions as a moustache or big sweep bar right?
    But without the hook. The hook is key. It's not all about the backsweep, but that's a lot of it.

bmw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    is the hook the transion from down part to flat part where your hand would sit? I can see how that would be different and possibly comfy...

I like hands level with or a little higher than my saddle, I think if I tried drop bars my bike would either look stupid or hurt my back

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw
    is the hook the transion from down part to flat part where your hand would sit? I can see how that would be different and possibly comfy...

I like hands level with or a little higher than my saddle, I think if I tried drop bars my bike would either look stupid or hurt my back
    If you think the Gryphons on this thread "look stupid", then maybe you would be right- for you. However, they look to be smartly set up with the drops just right.

Drops off road work better than mustache bars because for those of us that are in to it, the brakes fall to hand where you need to be in technical terrain, where they do not with mustache bars. Also, most mustache bars extend backward too far, but admittedly, some of this could be negated by cutting/stem choice.

I actually had a chance to ride a rare set of Bridgestone spec mustache bars that took mtb controls and not road levers/bar end shifters. I had my brake levers back towards the ends of the bar, and this was a really cool set up. (Single speed) Too bad someone doesn't pick up on that feature for some "alt-stache" bars. (Although Misfit has something similar coming out real soon)

Anyway, to the OP: The Gryphon is the real deal. I can't wait for these to hit the U.S., because I will be getting one and setting it up as a single speed post haste. It is going to be a great addition to my already too big single speed collection, but what the heck!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Gryphon it is then Now, where's Sam so I can ask him when I can have one?

mtbr member
    mmmmm ... i just ordered a swift ... what is the difference between the swift nad the gryphon?? should i have waited for the gryphon??? i can't see it on their website ...
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

Witty McWitterson
    They are about the same bike, but the Gryphon is designed for drop bar use. The top tube is a bit shorter, and the headtube is taller, negating the use of freakishly tall stems, or gobs of spacers. They both cost the same....
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    ah yeas, i remember reading something similar about that ... think i am still happy with my choice of the swift ... although there are a few pics floating around the interweb of drop bar swifts ...
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The Gryphon is rigid-only too, so if you want bounce or flat bars the Swift is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    By the sounds of your expected use I'd also recommend a Gryphon, definitely the more off-road capable bike. They will be here in October, and a few will be in the US as well - tell Marty to order more :-)
    Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

Members who have read this thread: 0