Single Speed - OR - Another Cassette- Mtbr.com
    29er Pilot

Single Speed - OR - Another Cassette

OK folks its time for the third cassette on my supercal. I keep burning up the 16T because its about all I ride on. The question is..should I continue with cassettes or switch over to a single speed. Moreover can I keep my current crank set and use the three up front with a single cog in the rear or swap the whole drive train out. Ive seen others post about SS 29ers and what toothed cog for the rear, but I wasnt paying attention in class. Your opinions will most likely help me make up my mind. I have however decided that IF I do go to the SS and like it, this spring I will refit the Supercal and part with it, to get a Rig.

Thanks
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Only dead people are old
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Inferno
    OK folks its time for the third cassette on my supercal. I keep burning up the 16T because its about all I ride on. The question is..should I continue with cassettes or switch over to a single speed. Moreover can I keep my current crank set and use the three up front with a single cog in the rear or swap the whole drive train out. Ive seen others post about SS 29ers and what toothed cog for the rear, but I wasnt paying attention in class. Your opinions will most likely help me make up my mind. I have however decided that IF I do go to the SS and like it, this spring I will refit the Supercal and part with it, to get a Rig.

Thanks
    Part with your Supercal??? That's an awful thought!!! What size is it?

Just Ride!

Simplicity

I run a Supercal with Stans, a rigid fork, and singled out with Spot brand spacers. I run it 32x18 or 20 depending on the trail I plan to visit. I use a Surly Singleator which I have disabled the spring and run bolted down rigid to tension. It seems like everytime I hit the trails, someone is messing with flats, deraliuers, or sacked out forks. I just ride and have a blast!

Cold. Blue. Steel.

I vote for SS!

you stated that you ride in one gear most of the time...
    why not lose the clatter and extra weight and the "clutter" on those handlebars as well? no chainsuck, either, during these sloppy winter months.

if you get your chain alignment exactly right, you may be able to get away with using your current front chainring. splurge for a simple 18 or 20t cog without ramps. you won't be sorry.

and i am eagerly awaiting the arival of the Rigs as well!
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

3x1 hmmmmm...very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    you stated that you ride in one gear most of the time...
    why not lose the clatter and extra weight and the "clutter" on those handlebars as well? no chainsuck, either, during these sloppy winter months.

if you get your chain alignment exactly right, you may be able to get away with using your current front chainring. splurge for a simple 18 or 20t cog without ramps. you won't be sorry.

and i am eagerly awaiting the arival of the Rigs as well!
    I've never really thought about a 3x1 drive train, but it is very easy to do. You will need to keep your rear derailleur, but not the rear shifter (left or front only). Center the rear sprocket with the middle ring on the front crank (I can post a easy mathmatical way to do this). 1 1/4" PVC pipe fits standard cassette hubs perfectly and can be easily cut with a hand saw, trim saw etc. to make spacers to center the sprocket. Definately use a BMX sprocket with no ramps, they work much better. After centering the rear sprocket, use a short dummy wire in the rear derailleur and adjust it correctly in line with the rear sprocket. The system should act like a normal 3x9 (meaning the rear derailleur will take up the chain slack as you shift from sprocket to sprocket in the front). You know have a three speed drive train with low (18x22) , medium (18x32) and high speeds (18x44). Let me know how is works.

engineguy

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    I have an SS Slingshot 29er. I'm using a 2003 XT crankset with a Surly Single Speed (36 tooth) ring, a Single Speed Chain, King (geared) hub with spacers, a Novatech rear cog and a Sram single speed chain.

Converting almost any Geared rear wheel is easy with spacers. Converting almost any tripple crank is easy as well. I've run single speeds with 5 bolt old school shimano cranks as well as the new 4 bolt types.

I can't recommend the Surly Singlators, though. I've had terrible luck with them and would suggest you ante up for a Paul chain tensioner. I've wrecked several Surlys. On each one the internal spring broke and rounded out the hole that held it inside it's housing.

I suggest that if you attempt to do a 3x1 setup you try using an old deraileur for a chain tensioner. You'll get more range out of it than a Singlator, as you'll need a lot of chain to be able to cover a 44 and something as small as a granny gear.

Big Wheel Homer !!

Chain ?

Quote Originally Posted by engineguy
    I've never really thought about a 3x1 drive train, but it is very easy to do. You will need to keep your rear derailleur, but not the rear shifter (left or front only). Center the rear sprocket with the middle ring on the front crank (I can post a easy mathmatical way to do this). 1 1/4" PVC pipe fits standard cassette hubs perfectly and can be easily cut with a hand saw, trim saw etc. to make spacers to center the sprocket. Definately use a BMX sprocket with no ramps, they work much better. After centering the rear sprocket, use a short dummy wire in the rear derailleur and adjust it correctly in line with the rear sprocket. The system should act like a normal 3x9 (meaning the rear derailleur will take up the chain slack as you shift from sprocket to sprocket in the front). You know have a three speed drive train with low (18x22) , medium (18x32) and high speeds (18x44). Let me know how is works.

engineguy
    Just a note about you chain, If you use a Novatec or BMX style cog on the back your narrow 9 speed chain will not work, it's not spaced right for the cog. You should be able to pick up a single speed chain at your LBS, or I think a old 7 or 8 speed chain will work.

my $0.02,
    cruz