Sidi Dominator or Genius (mtb vs road shoe)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Sidi Dominator or Genius (mtb vs road shoe)

Anyone have experience with both shoes? Any big advantages to using road shoe?

I have used Sidi Dominators for over 20yrs. I need to replace my most recent pair. I use a second pair as my road shoe (Frogs pedal) Since I am replacing anyway, I thought this may be a good time to look at a pair of road shoes (Genius). Fit seems equal, still not sure I want to give up walkability, price the same. Comes down to sole stiffness and ?.

Any real world experience using mtb shoe then comparing to similar road shoes? Pros and cons?

Thanks.
    "Biking lets you come alive both in body and spirit- the bike disappears and you feel as if you're suspended in midair"GKlein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FR hokeypokey

I have used Sidi Dominators for over 20yrs. I need to replace my most recent pair. I use a second pair as my road shoe (Frogs pedal) Since I am replacing anyway, I thought this may be a good time to look at a pair of road shoes (Genius). Fit seems equal, still not sure I want to give up walkability, price the same. Comes down to sole stiffness and ?.

Any real world experience using mtb shoe then comparing to similar road shoes? Pros and cons?

Thanks.
    Are you asking if its worth it to replace your mtb shoes with a treadless road shoe for off road riding?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by FR hokeypokey

Thanks.
    If you are using mtb pedals, use a mtb shoe. The shoe tread is usually required for the shoe to be stable.

Road pedals = road shoes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Apologies concerning the confusion.
    I use a pair of Dominators with Frog pedals only with my road bike. Have noted in past posts several others do likewise. I am about to buy a new set Sidi shoes and am considering a pair of road shoes to be used on the road bike. Speedplay's website shows new Frog cleats can be used with Sidi road shoes.

So, has anyone used mtb shoes for road biking, then switched to similar road shoe and have a positive or negative opinion of the switch.

Hope this is more clear. Also I just noticed I meant to post this in the General Forum.
    "Biking lets you come alive both in body and spirit- the bike disappears and you feel as if you're suspended in midair"GKlein

Trail Junkie
    I say it is all about where you ride. I live dangerously and ride the streets of Miami and A1A. I wear road shoes because they breath better, lighter and slightly stiffer, but started out with mountain shoes. The nice thing about mountain shoes is when you stop for a stoplight or anything else for that matter, you don't have to feel like you are walking on ice. SPD-R cleats for road pedals do an OK job of providing a little bit of grip, but it isn't very much.

Now if you have gobs of open road and low traffic frequency, buy the road shoes and reap the benefits, otherwise you have to weigh the pros/cons and consider safety. I wish had dominators, they seem like they would work pretty good for the road eventhough they are mountain.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

Trail Junkie
    I say it is all about where you ride. I live dangerously and ride the streets of Miami and A1A. I wear road shoes because they breath better, lighter and slightly stiffer, but started out with mountain shoes. The nice thing about mountain shoes is when you stop for a stoplight or anything else for that matter, you don't have to feel like you are walking on ice. SPD-R cleats for road pedals do an OK job of providing a little bit of grip, but it isn't very much.

Now if you have gobs of open road and low traffic frequency, buy the road shoes and reap the benefits, otherwise you have to weigh the pros/cons and consider safety. I wish had dominators, they seem like they would work pretty good for the road eventhough they are mountain, the problem would be mounting the cleat for shimano pedals for me.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

Combat Wombat
    I have and use both the Genius and Dominators. What Shiggy said, if you are going to continue to run Frogs, of which I have 3 sets and been using for 12 years, I would go with another pair of Dominators. On occasion I have used the Frogs on my roadbikes for events like RAGBRAI, where I knew I would be walking alot throughtout the event, but more often than not, you will find X-2s on my roadbike.

The primary difference, besides comfort in walking, between the Genius and Dominators is weight. However, for me, the biggest advantage of running a road specific shoe is the larger platform and very secure fit between the shoe and pedal. This means running road shoes with road pedals.

If you are going or thinking about going to road specific pedals, keep in mind, many road specific cleats will not fit into the recessed cleat area on mountainbike shoes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    As I mentioned, I have used Sidi shoes for many years and really like them for road and mtb. Great fit and very durable. Use eggbeaters for the mtb, Frogs for the road bike.

I guess I am asking if anyone has seen/felt significant performence difference when switching to a road shoe (stiffer sole) on their road bike. I have weighed all the differences and pros/cons that I can, but now it comes down to what I may gain with road shoes.

Also, any advice as to how to swith this thread over to the General forum?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    road shoes for road bike

mtb shoes for mtb

i use sidis for both jobs

carbon stiff soles are perfect for long road rides and proper road pedals (speedplay zeros)

the dominators with the flexible sole and better grip are used for mtb and riding fixed road bike (i ride fixed for commuting, and general town hack bike, time atacs are possibly the best foot retention system for this purpose, so mtb shoes seem to be most appropriate)

mtb cleats on road shoes tend to get destroyed as there is no protection for the cleat

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I completely agree with BrianU's post. I too have run Sidi road and mountain shoes for a pretty long time. When I got back into road biking like 15 years ago, I ran mountain shoes. Worked just fine. On a whim made the switch to true road pedals and shoes. No looking back, much much better with the larger platform and stiffer carbon sole.

mtbr member
    Not exactly what you asked, but here's some anecdotal information. I have a pair of Dom 6 carbon SRS shoes that are a couple of years old. Last summer I broke a buckle and had to order one. While I was waiting for the replacement, I brought out my trusty old Dom Fives, which I had worn for several years and (thought I) loved them at the time. Well, going back to the standard (nylon?) sole, I hated them. They felt flimsy in contrast to the stiff carbon. The difference was night-and-day, so, yes, you will notice and benefit from the stiffer sole for your roadie. You may find, like me, that you want carbon soles for your MTB shoes as well.
    One other thing that others have already mentioned; The slick carbon soles are a ***** to walk in. I have a pair of Genius 6.6 full carbon soles with Look Keos, and it's really tough getting on and off the bike. When I come to a stop, I have to plan my dismount, and plant my foot squarely, or I'm on my ass. Not cool in a crowd... If you plan or need to walk at all when you're out on your roadie, it may be better to stick with the lugged MTB shoes.
    'Bones

Expert Crasher
    Cleat covers make a big difference when 'walking' in road shoes. Just pop them off before the ride and stash them in a pocket on your jersey..........
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Members who have read this thread: 0