Should I build up a Trek 1120 to be a Stache- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Should I build up a Trek 1120 to be a Stache

Iím looking to buy a Stache. Iím really tempted to get a Full Stache, but Iíve got a tight budget. Iím thinking about buying an 1120 thatís available for $1100, and adding a suspension fork, upgrading brakes, and removing racks etc. until I decide to maybe bikepack in the future.
    Am I crazy? Should I just hold out and keep looking for a Stache? (Or maybe just hope to fine a $2000 or less Full Stache?)
    I used to ride hard, all sorts or terrain, but itís been 10 years. Want to get back into it. Push some distance, ride some technical, and get out into nature to enjoy a lot of different environments.
    Love to get, your opinions! Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That price with a high quality fork like a Manitou Mezzer would be able to handle a good range of technical challenging terrain. The Mezzer is an improved fork over the very good Mattoc Pro.
    Fork background-
    https://nsmb.com/articles/manitou-mattoc-pro-fork/
    https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...l#post14795349

For fs you should demo. Many capable bikes besides the Full Stache.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The geo for the 1120 is not at all the same as the Stache. You'd better check it out before making a move.

mtbr member
    it would be useful to compare the two on paper for a start. compared to the Stache, the 1120 has
    LONG chainstays
    short reach
    lower BB
    short top tube

basically, the 1120 can be set up as a trail bike, but the handling will be slow and stable. it will be upright and comfy. if that's what you're after, that could work well. if you want a playful, "aggressive," snappy, whipable bike, the Stache is in a totally different category

The Stache has more size options then the 1120. pick the size you would want and plug in the numbers on bikegeo.net to visualize the differences.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    The geo for the 1120 is not at all the same as the Stache. You'd better check it out before making a move.
    It is not, but it's pretty close. I prefer the Stache over the 1120 (the 1120 has the same geometry as the previous generation Stache frame) for super tight stuff, but they are both quite capable. The line between Full Stache/Fuel EX is pretty blurry at this point, and definitely not in favor of the Full Stache; the new Fuel can fit VERY large tires (not 3.0, obviously), and is a lighter bike, otherwise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I thought that the geo was close to identical. Slightly longer chain stay (5mm at shortest setting) and a slightly steeper head angle at 70.3 VS 68.4. Do you think they will feel totally different with those slight changes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    it would be useful to compare the two on paper for a start. compared to the Stache, the 1120 has
    LONG chainstays
    short reach
    lower BB
    short top tube

basically, the 1120 can be set up as a trail bike, but the handling will be slow and stable. it will be upright and comfy. if that's what you're after, that could work well. if you want a playful, "aggressive," snappy, whipable bike, the Stache is in a totally different category

The Stache has more size options then the 1120. pick the size you would want and plug in the numbers on bikegeo.net to visualize the differences.
    Is 5mm difference in chain stays really THAT much longer?

Thanks for the recco on bikegeo, Iíll check it out!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    That price with a high quality fork like a Manitou Mezzer would be able to handle a good range of technical challenging terrain. The Mezzer is an improved fork over the very good Mattoc Pro.
    Fork background-
    https://nsmb.com/articles/manitou-mattoc-pro-fork/
    https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...l#post14795349

For fs you should demo. Many capable bikes besides the Full Stache.
    Thanks for the manitou tip!

As for test riding, itís a little tough since Iím trying to buy used and most bike shops in SoCal are out of inventory of EVERYTHING ;P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supernorml View Post
    Is 5mm difference in chain stays really THAT much longer?
    The CSL on the 1120 is listed at 440 mm, compared to 420 for the Stache. I'd can feel a world of difference between a bike with 5mm of difference in chainstay length (my bike has an adjustable CSL and I have tried it at a few settings). 20mm is an enormous difference. not impossible to get used to it or even prefer it if that's your preference, but it's definitely a noticeable difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Didn't check the geo. I'd look for a Stache but not a fs Stache.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I own a Stache with the newer geo and have ridden the 1120. They ride totally differently. If I was only going to use the 1120 for touring it might be good, but otherwise that bike isn't for me as it doesn't touch the capacity of the Stache, which is very capable.

Stache Geo:
    Should I build up a Trek 1120 to be a Stache-screen-shot-2020-06-06-3.21.06-pm.jpg

1120 Geo:
    Should I build up a Trek 1120 to be a Stache-screen-shot-2020-06-06-3.22.12-pm.jpg

For what its worth, I run my Stache with the 1120 fork in single speed guise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    The CSL on the 1120 is listed at 440 mm, compared to 420 for the Stache. I'd can feel a world of difference between a bike with 5mm of difference in chainstay length (my bike has an adjustable CSL and I have tried it at a few settings). 20mm is an enormous difference. not impossible to get used to it or even prefer it if that's your preference, but it's definitely a noticeable difference.
    The 1120 adjusts from 425-440mm. But itís good to know that even 5mm makes a difference. I would also assume that itís different since the adjustable doesnít actually change geo, it just shortens the wheelbase. Thanks for the feedback

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I own a Stache with the newer geo and have ridden the 1120. They ride totally differently. If I was only going to use the 1120 for touring it might be good, but otherwise that bike isn't for me as it doesn't touch the capacity of the Stache, which is very capable.

Stache Geo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 3.21.06 PM.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	1339585

1120 Geo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 3.22.12 PM.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	1339583

For what its worth, I run my Stache with the 1120 fork in single speed guise.
    Wow, thanks for this reply. To be honest I am still thinking about getting the 1120 and using it to get back in shape and get out riding trails. Then upgrade to something else and convert the 1120 into a single speed (maybe belt drive! :P ) just for fun. Or keep it as a distance bikepacking rig.