mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Shorter riders on 29"

Looking for feedback from the shorter guys on 29". My original mindset was 27.5" and have been waiting patiently for the updated 5c. I stopped by my local Yeti dealer to take a look at the 5c and the more I got to talking with a shop guy and avid 29" rider he convinced me that 29" is the way to go for our Phoenix, AZ style trails. He and I were also similar in height and build. I had not considered 29" due to being 5'6" tall, longer torso than legs and short arms. I will be coming off an old cheap hard tail 26" so just about anything new full suspension is going to be different and great I'm sure. I'm just curious if any shorter guys riding frame size small 29" have regretted going 29" instead of 27.5"?

Norđwegr
    I'm 5'7 with what I guess is a similar build.

I only ride 29ers so they aren't hindering me at all, if anything they let me have more fun due to the wheelsize numbing out some of the small chatter. I also feel they climb better.

Came from 27.5 and 26, never going back.

mtbr member
    27.5 offers no real advantage over 29 other than a bit more lively ride if you like to flick your bike around like they do on all the mtb videos you see. If you are more concerned about speed and control...29er all the way. Of course there's a point where you may be small enough in stature that a bike with 29" wheels just won't fit you comfortably. Then you should consider 27.5. So really...ride what feels best to you. If you can get on a smaller bike with 29" wheels and you feel good on that bike...then go for it. If you feel overwhelmed due to the wheel size...downsize to 27.5.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    My wife is 4'10" and all she rides is 29ers. You shouldn't have any issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for the replies! My BMX days are long behind me and would prefer to keep the wheels on the ground except for just some small roller styles jumps. With that said I am competitive and want to be one of the faster guys in a group or on Strava times. Sounds like 29 could be for me if it will make me faster overall on climbs and the straights.

mtbr member
    I'm about the same height as the OP. I was one of the last 29er holdouts due to my personal belief that 29ers are for tall people.

All my riding buddies started to ride 29ers and I wanted one too. I tried one of my buddy's bikes out on the trail and decided that I should go for it. I then bought my Kona Unit (size S) last October. I then wanted something geared with a good length fork, so I just finished building a Transition TransAM 29 (also size S). As it turned out the TransAM is taller with a 130mm fork and so the standover is kinda close. Still, completely irrelevant when actually riding the bike.

When I shopped for a 29er, I specifically looked at the geometry to make sure it fits my riding style/comfort. I especially paid attention to the stand over height. I made sure that the SO height is shorter than my inseam measurement.

Here are my 29er bikes:

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

I still ride my 26er bikes. But not as often as I would have thought. Maybe when the newness wears out...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
    I especially paid attention to the stand over height. I made sure that the SO height is shorter than my inseam measurement.
    What Tk said, and remember the angle of the top tube. You need to actually try it in case the place you end up standing over in front of the seat is not where they measured.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for pointing out the SOH. Interestingly enough what I'm looking at the Yeti 4.5c 29" is lower than the 5c 27".

mtbr member
    I am 5'7"ish with short inseam and arms (longer torso I guess). Our trails are hardpack, kinda flowy with short ups and downs.

I have had many bikes over the years and have tried several 27.5 bikes (Santa Cruz Solo/5010, Bronson, Kona Process, Yeti SB5c, etc)

Always migrate back to the 29er. For me i just love the roll, comfort over roots and small rocks and how they maintain momentum.

For sizing I find that I fit some mediums (Ripley, Tallboy) and others in small (Salsa Horsethief/Spearfish). If I was buying the SB4.5 I think I would go small with a 60mm stem.

NedwannaB

Ditto here

Quote Originally Posted by gcudd View Post
    Thanks for pointing out the SOH. Interestingly enough what I'm looking at the Yeti 4.5c 29" is lower than the 5c 27".
    5'-6" riding standard geo small 29's looking @ the Yeti 4.5c aswell. Haven't groped one in person good to see the sizing fit same as you.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    My GF is 5'6" and rides a small Niner EMD 9. 710mm bar with a 80mm stem. Its a good fit. Nothing about her setup says too big of a bike.

mtbr member
    I am 5'4. I have ridden 29ers since 2012... Currently on a small Ripley and small ibis tranny. Ibis does not make the ripley in small anymore but for us short riders is was one of the best.. great standover and a short headtube. Really fits good. I love 29ers and do not see myself riding a 27.5 anytime soon. I just hope manufacturers keep making them in the small size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shorter riders on 29"-ibistranny.jpg  

Shorter riders on 29"-img_7553.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate3510 View Post
    My wife is 4'10" and all she rides is 29ers...
    Which ones?

Most 29ers have at least 30" S0H, usually more, even in the smallest sizes.

fRIDEday makes me happy!
    For what you listed as your intentions I feel you will get the best benefit from a 29er bike. I am a few inches taller than you and overall dimensions a bit different and I am on a med 29er bike and couldn't be happier. I am also of the mindset of getting faster with not intentions on flicking my bike around. I have ridden all three wheel sizes (not + options yet) and know I belong on a 29er.

Talking about getting faster, it really is a game changer and when tested on trails I have ridden near 50 times I am PR'ing all over the place on Strava. I am quicker now than around 4 years ago when I was participating in racing. A lot of the geo. on 29ers has really evolved in a good way for both the feel of the ride and the size of the rider. As always mentioned test riding different bikes will give you a solid understanding of what works best for you.

Personally I put little weight on what the industry wants me to be on, something will always be the next best thing just about to come out and most of the time it is fluff. Too many people spend time on youtube watching people huck on their bikes and feel they can do the same if they get on that type of ride but in reality the vast majority will never be able to ride that way. The porridge is just warm enough in the middle with 27.5 so that appeals to folks who don't have the experience to know that is really what they want. For those that do know how they want their bike to perform will find themselves on the proper size no matter what it happens to be.

Norđwegr
    My Kona Honzo TI has a 675mm / 26.5" standoverheight in small, about the same for steel and alu versions. Granted the Honzo might be a bit overkill for a racer, the more XC-ish full suspension Hei Hei has a 27.6" SOH.

I like turtles
    Been discussed here ad nauseam. 5'6"ish here (probably less nowadays). Small 29er HT. No issues. Now....my wife is 5'2" and for her...the 29er simply didn't work...too much wheel/not enough bike is what she described the one she test rode as. She went with a 650b and is v. happy with it.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Which ones?

Most 29ers have at least 30" S0H, usually more, even in the smallest sizes.
    Niner xs jet 9. Stand over around 26" if I remember correctly. Hardtail xs trek Cali with also a crazy low stand over.

I like turtles
    Standover isn't an issue anymore for most bikes. The Jett my wife tried had crazy low standover but the bike just had huge wheels for her size. At 5'6" you can certainly ride a 29er with no drama if you like the rollover/riding characteristics of a 29er (I do!)...if not, get a 650b.

mtbr member
    Specialized Jett also has low standover. I realize they consider it a womens bike but it is not a step through so to me a bike is a bike if it fits.

mtbr member
    Another 5'7" rider on 29ers. As has been said, as long as the bike is fit right, the wheel size shouldn't be an issue IMO. To a point anyway obviously. With the new 29er designs, you also don't really have to give up much playability for the stability and rollover benefits. I love popping off every feature I see, and up until a couple years ago, I thought 29ers felt like trucks. I got to try a friends 29er with modern geo, and it changed my perspective completely on what the big wheels are capable of. It's all I ride now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm 5'6" Short limbed, love riding my 29er. I built up a On One Parkwood this winter. It has the right geo to fit, including standover.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks again for all the great feedback! I think 29" has me headed down the right path of stability, speed and endurance. Like I said before I don't have the need or want to get a bike high off the ground like in my younger years so if a 29" is somewhat of a cheater to being faster, more comfortable and everyone is doing it then I'm in. I'm in AZ and envision trips to Sedona and Moab and want something that will make 30-40 mile days as enjoyable as possible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Nearly all of the 29-ers mentioned are hardtails. What about full-sucpension?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm 5'7" (maybe 5'8" on a REALLY good day) 32" inseam and longish arms. Basically I'm short from the waist up. Been riding a Stumpy FSR Comp 29'er size Medium on some of the most technical trails New England has to offer without any problem. You've really got to move around on the bike on these trails, and I've never felt like I couldn't get to where I needed to be for a given situation. Maybe if I were sub-5 foot it'd be an issue, but even then I'm not sure.

Long story short, demo your chosen bikes on your favorite trails (if possible) then make your decision. It's the only way. Really.

Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shorter riders on 29"-file0411_2.jpg  

Always Learning
    Looking for feedback from the shorter guys on 29". My original mindset was 27.5" and have been waiting patiently for the updated 5c. I stopped by my local Yeti dealer to take a look at the 5c and the more I got to talking with a shop guy and avid 29" rider he convinced me that 29" is the way to go for our Phoenix, AZ style trails. He and I were also similar in height and build. I had not considered 29" due to being 5'6" tall, longer torso than legs and short arms. I will be coming off an old cheap hard tail 26" so just about anything new full suspension is going to be different and great I'm sure. I'm just curious if any shorter guys riding frame size small 29" have regretted going 29" instead of 27.5"?
    Wife is 5"3" and rides the Niner Air 9 size small (she'd fit on an XS as well, but it wasn't available way back when during the purchase period when we got this):

She loves it at her height, but obviously it's not her only option (although she rocks a Trek road bike on the same size wheels).

I imagine you'd be fine on both the 27.5 and the 29 platforms. Demo a bunch and go with what works and feels great to you.

26 1/2" bars, 70mm stem, and she is very comfortable on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm 5'6"/165lbs/30" inseam. Just went from a 26er Yeti ASR5 to a ASRC (FS) in Medium, which is a 29er (XS and SM are 27.5). Though it took all 3 hours of my demo on the 29er to finally come around to choosing it over the SM 27.5, I certainly made the right decision for my use-case. People who throw around specific minimum heights ("6ft and over", etc.) before you consider a 29er have no idea what they are talking about IMO. It all comes down to the specific bike and rider.
    I haven't found anything yet I could do on the 26er that I couldn't on the 29er, and am seeing Strava PRs on segments I really thought the 26er would own.
    Standover is a little tight on the ASRC, but I don't even think about it anymore. As others have mentioned, Niner is known for having geometry that can accommodate smaller riders, but I think 29er geometry has changed enough all-around the last few years that most brands will have something that will fit most people.
    My advice is once u find a bike u like, play with the little things like stem length to get the perfect fit. Going from the stock 70mm stem to 55mm changed things dramatically for me.

mtbr member
    Nearly all of the 29-ers mentioned are hardtails. What about full-sucpension?

5'7" on a medium, 29-30" IS. I was actually a little big for a small.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Just got my first bike since from before I got a drivers license. The guy told me the 29 would be the best stable all around to go with. I'm 5'-6"with a 32 inseam and I'm comfortable on it.

powered by peanut butter.
    5'6'' on a small Salsa El Mariachi here. Love it.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    As others said...I ride a 15.5" Trek Superfly and I ain't ever going back to 27.5 or 26". The rollover capabilities and sheer speed generated is simply priceless.Shorter riders on 29"-2015-11-02-10.05.37.jpg
    Last edited by Cayenne_Pepa; 04-27-2016 at 11:41 PM.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi Gcudd, I'm 5'8" and I recently bought a Santa Cruz Hightower after riding nothing but 26" wheels for eight years. Like you, I thought I was too small for the bigger "wagon" wheels, so I never even tried them. Then, about three weeks ago, my bike got stolen so I went to a demo day where I could try lots of different bikes for free. I demo-ed a couple of 27.5" bikes, but they felt exactly the same as my old 26", so I decided to try out a couple of 29-ers and 27.5+ bikes. Damn, What a revelation! I just rolled over everything, and I didn't feel as tired at the end of my rides. I'll never go back to small wheels again. I'm currently running the Hightower in 27.5+ form with 2.8 tires and loving it, but I'll switch to 29" wheels for the winter when it gets muddy here in Northern California. I'd say you owe it to yourself to at least go ride a few larger wheeled bikes to see if you have the same reaction that I did, especially since the new geometry of current 29ers are offering a lot of standover height for us shorter folks. Good luck with your search!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock503 View Post
    5'7" on a medium, 29-30" IS. I was actually a little big for a small (Canfield Riot)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufhausen View Post
    I'm 5'6"/165lbs/30" inseam. Just went from a 26er Yeti ASR5 to a ASRC (FS) in Medium, which is a 29er (XS and SM are 27.5)...People who throw around specific minimum heights ("6ft and over", etc.) before you consider a 29er have no idea what they are talking about IMO...
    Standover is a little tight on the ASRC
    Either would be impossibly tight for me with a 28" inseam.

mtbr member
    I'm actually shorter than you guys... I'm 5'1"

I have a Spesh RH Sport 29er size XS... have not regretted my decision at all.

When I first started, I was uneasy because I went from 26er to 29er... big jump. But I got used to it and I am a better rider now than I was riding a 26er. I am full of confidence and can do the same things taller riders can do.

I can never go back to 26 or 27.5, but I do wanna go to fat which I am placing my order for a Framed Alaskan... same wheel diameter as a 29er.

It's not about the size, it's how you use it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm 5'10" and I own and ride the smallest '14 Trek X-Caliber 6 model available with 29" tires. It has a 17.5" frame... the 18.5" supposedly was ideal for my height, but I felt more comfortable on the 17.5.

I like turtles
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland View Post
    I'm 5'10" and I own and ride the smallest '14 Trek X-Caliber 6 model available with 29" tires. It has a 17.5" frame... the 18.5" supposedly was ideal for my height, but I felt more comfortable on the 17.5.
    Why is someone 5'10" chiming in on the short guy thread?

I like turtles
    Either would be impossibly tight for me with a 28" inseam.
    How tall are you?

With a 28" inseam, you are always going to be tight on standover...its just fact of life. My inseam is 29" at ~5'6" and I barely have standover on any of my bikes, it really isn't a big deal..the bikes still fit fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Barely having standover Is OK.
    Negative 2 inches is NOT.

I'm also 5' 6", so an inch less on the legs
    and an inch more on the torso.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    5'8" 30" inseam on a 15.5" motobecane fantom elite 29er with 120mm fork.
    Stand-over clearance is a little tight, but not a problem as long as I stay on the pedals!
    Shorter riders on 29"-1930665_10201296279206251_3821543394856537306_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Who really bails forward directly over the bottom bracket with both feet flat on the ground?

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Shorter riders on 29"-one-9.jpg

I'm 5'4" with a 30" inseam and I ride 29ers exclusively. I've had Niners and Specialized. Recently our shop switched from Spesh to Scott, who don't sell 29ers in Small to my knowledge.

Here's my newest, just built last week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Who really bails forward directly over the bottom bracket with both feet flat on the ground?
    When the rear wheel loses traction and starts sliding towards the edge, what other option is there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Good question. The only time stand-over is an issue for me is when I'm not riding, like when I'm standing over my bike.
    I've hurt my unmentionables far more from a foot slipping off the pedal and landing a jump on my seat than I have from my toptube.

mtbr member
    Lol...I have never hit the ol coin purse in a fashion that is directly over the bottom bracket. I have hit behind the stem from the bike stopping and me still moving.

Once you move slightly forward of the bottom bracket area...you are pretty much balls deep in top tube.

The "stand over" is an old standard when bikes still had horizontal top tubes. Nowadays with 29r's and long travel bikes...its pretty much out the window.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Haha! Totally agreed. I can have an absolute blast on my buddies 21" Kona Explosif and my current bike is a 15.5". I find it easy enough to tip the bike and/or move my body so my thigh hits most of the time. A classic case of "pay to play!"

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    standover clearance is an old, obsolete measurement standard. If you're an absolute noob to MTB you can have some awkward get-offs over the TT, but once you're at about what I'd call "advanced beginner" status (meaning you have enough coordination to get your foot down first) you really don't much see it anymore.

The truly annoying thing is that it's still pushed as a big deal in women's geometry for some dumb reason. I have seen more than my fair share of beginner women overly caught up in worrying about this spec, often because no one's ever given them anything approaching proper skills help.

I'm a short legged 5'4" and my Jet 9 RDO in Small has about 2-3cm of negative standover (29er dual suspension bikes are TALL) and it's never been a problem.

Tossin the salad.
    Gotta enjoy being short, huh?

I'm also 5'6" with long torso, but short legs.

I recently rolled an 29'er 2012 Tallboy Med, sold it, got now a Remedy 8 (medium / 17.5) and I fit on it fine. It has a standover height of 29.5", but I don't really clear the standover" at all. As i always fall; I am going OTB and I don't stride on 'SO" clearance.

My prior bike before going towards the 29'er'z was an 26'er Giant Trance and it was a small frame, and when I got fitted the professional bike fitter was curious why I got a small frame (then / Trance 26'er). After all said and done w/ the fitting, he ended up putting an 100mm stem and pushing my saddle back a little. The ride was better, but didn't like the XC attack position, but it did open me up in the cockpit though. I do find myself more slacker, laid back rider and my remedy fits nice and rolls great for what I was looking for. Love the bike.

I do like that Yeti SB4.5c you asked about. Decent travel going w/ the XC route.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Giant Trance

LCW
    mtbr member

Shorter riders on 29"

5'6" 30" inseam... Just picked up a Medium Evil Following... Fits like a glove. Running 125 dropper but slid into seat post as much as possible. Running 50mm stem, 760mm wide bars. Cranks are 170mm.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    5'11 and a half, short legs for me height, about 30 inseam. I ride 19" frame RH 29er. After changing the handle bar and stem to get the geometry right for my type or riding, the comfort is great, however stock, the bike was very uncomfortable.

I think standover clearance is important if you're getting into technical stuff. Example, going up a steep hill, having an inch or a little more of standover clearance will allow you to get off the bike easier while climbing, if you don't end up making it.

My balls sit on my top tube so i basically don't have any clearance, and when i have failed to climb a few techincal hills, I either ended up stumbling down the hill due to not being able to plant my feet down while standing over the top tube, or awkwardly leaning the bike to one side in order to get off, and this will not work if you're on a mountain edge.

Also, a higher top tube means more manipulation is needed when it comes to lateral steering. When you start getting tired, being able to lean the bike to one side while trying to gain momentum can take more energy than expected.

All and all, I'm happy with my 29er, but I would suggest going for a smaller frame than you would with a 27.5 or a 26er, which will allow the geometry to be a bit lower while still having the big wheels. Of course, proper stem and handle bar setup will be required as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shorter riders on 29"-20160413_191901.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wife is 5'4", riding a Specialized Fate Comp (small) and loving it. Plenty of stand-over, right in the middle of the top tube where you want it.

mtbr member
    I am 5'7" and ride a 29er HT here in Phoenix. I too came from 26" HT and the difference was amazing. My 26"HT was a good build with XT level compoents. My 29er HT is Santa Cruz Highball in Medium and is in every way superior to 26er. It is 3.5 lbs lighter so it climbs faster. The frame is stiffer so I get better power transfer and it climbs faster. The big wheels roll over everything so all the rocks feel smaller and it climbs faster because it lose less momentum. It also descends faster because of the wheels. It even has the same wheelbase as the 26er so it handles the tight stuff as well. There nothing bad about it. Unless you count the fact that it still is a HT and can't bash over big rocks and drops. It can ride them, but not as fast as a FS bike. Overall it is my go to bike for most trails. I did get a Santa Cruz Solo (125mm/130mm, 27.5) bike for hitting places like national and cheesegrater at PMP or for the day I want to really fly downhill and don't mind not climbing as well. However if I am on a 50-60 mile ride I am taking the 29er HT all day. It may not be fast downhill, but given the way it climbs and rolls overstuff it is the bike for long rides. The Solo just sucks up to much energy in the suspension and extra weight.

Now I have found that with a 120 mm fork I have on Highball I can't get the bars as low as I did on the 26er. However that does not appear to be a problem when it comes to climbing.
    Shorter riders on 29"-img_0996-s1.jpg
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    As a 5'5" small Asian dude with a 29" stand over and short arms, hearing oh my wife or girlfriend rides a XS-S frame is a little embarrassing but you have to remember a women's body naturally tend to have a short torso w/ longer legs. So a 5'5" women fitting on a small 29er with a 28"+ stand over normally is fine since there inseam could be 1"-2" or more bigger than a 5'5" male.

I do agree Niner is a great choice since there smalls tend to be in the 28" range but if you need smaller the now disc Felt Nine 29er line which still can be picked up new for cheap has an XS with a 26.73" stand over. There small is a 28.11". I debated on getting a XS or S but decided overall the XS was better since it would give me a full 2" of stand over plus the TT is 22" compared to the smalls 23" which is just too big and would have required getting a smaller stem

Also it annoys the heck out of me when people say stand over does not matter at all. If you can't safely mount and unmounted your bike or you are bumping your boys than your bike is too big. Sure just going by stand over can lead to a ill fitting bike but if you can't even mount it then the size is a non starter IMO

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I can think of two really good reasons why standover might matter more it you are a guy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Lol, I'm 5 4 and I've never once cared about stand over on my bikes, I guess that might come from as a kid always riding my dad's super large bikes. I have never gotten off a bike by jumping off with feet flat on the ground over the top tube with the bike straight. I simply lean the bike slightly and put 1 foot down, even on trails, then if I need to put both feel down I lean the bike and get plenty of room to put both feet down... I don't know what yall are doing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Naolin View Post
    Lol, I'm 5 4 and I've never once cared about stand over on my bikes, I guess that might come from as a kid always riding my dad's super large bikes. I have never gotten off a bike by jumping off with feet flat on the ground over the top tube with the bike straight. I simply lean the bike slightly and put 1 foot down, even on trails, then if I need to put both feel down I lean the bike and get plenty of room to put both feet down... I don't know what yall are doing.
    Same here.
    I'm almost 5'8" and if they made a 31'er I'd be on that.
    When I ride my mx bike and come to a stop I just lean to one side a little and put a foot down...No biggie.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jrasero View Post
    As a 5'5" small Asian dude with a 29" stand over and short arms, hearing oh my wife or girlfriend rides a XS-S frame is a little embarrassing but you have to remember a women's body naturally tend to have a short torso w/ longer legs. So a 5'5" women fitting on a small 29er with a 28"+ stand over normally is fine since there inseam could be 1"-2" or more bigger than a 5'5" male.

I do agree Niner is a great choice since there smalls tend to be in the 28" range but if you need smaller the now disc Felt Nine 29er line which still can be picked up new for cheap has an XS with a 26.73" stand over. There small is a 28.11". I debated on getting a XS or S but decided overall the XS was better since it would give me a full 2" of stand over plus the TT is 22" compared to the smalls 23" which is just too big and would have required getting a smaller stem

Also it annoys the heck out of me when people say stand over does not matter at all. If you can't safely mount and unmounted your bike or you are bumping your boys than your bike is too big. Sure just going by stand over can lead to a ill fitting bike but if you can't even mount it then the size is a non starter IMO
    5'6", also asian, and probably a smaller standover than you. Standover doesn't matter. Dropper post plus one foot on the pedal means I NEVER have to stand over.

Even without a dropper I just keep one foot on a pedal and put one foot on the ground. I don't get how you need to safely unmount your bike with both feet on the ground? I don't think I've ever done that even with my bikes that I can standover.

I'm on a 27.5 and can actually stand over (Bronson) it. Yet, I don't recall ever actually stopping my bike. Putting both feet down. Then unmounting?

I'll stop, put down whatever foot I need to, while the other remains on the pedal. Then unmount.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Feet on the ground is the beginner's way to ride a bike. Many haven't gone beyond that and that's the 'standover' problem.
    Here's vid on how to mount and get going on your bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

My daughter is 5’1” and has no problem on her Hardtail 29r or Ripley, you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    At 5’6”(non-Asian), standover for me has always meant can I get both feet on the ground when necessary to save myself such as that gnary climb when you lose all traction or the insane rock garden when the front tire gets jammed and the bike comes to a halt. In the past i’d have to get a Small because of the highish standover and I’d end up feeling cramped riding the bike but with the latest geometry I can now comfortably ride a Medium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
    5'6", also asian, and probably a smaller standover than you. Standover doesn't matter. Dropper post plus one foot on the pedal means I NEVER have to stand over.

Even without a dropper I just keep one foot on a pedal and put one foot on the ground. I don't get how you need to safely unmount your bike with both feet on the ground? I don't think I've ever done that even with my bikes that I can standover.
    same size as you, 28" inseam.
    when I lose traction on a narrow trail, the rear wheel immediately starts sliding towards The Edge. How to stop it? More rubber on the ground, fast. That means BOTH feet. 0 standover means "Hello boys, meet Mr Toptube."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by andytiedye; 4 Days Ago at 10:15 AM.

turtles make me hot
    I'm friends with Racefit on here and I just built b+ wheels for his girlfriend. They put 2.8" tires on the rims which I'm sure are every bit as tall as 29" tires. She's 5'3" and this is all going on an XS Surly Karate Monkey.
    Maybe he'll post a pic.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    5'-7" here and rode a medium sized Scott 29er for about 8 years without a problem. It wasn't until I tried a 27.5+ that I understood how much better that wheel size fits me and my riding style. Now I am on a large sized Scott 27.5+ and it feels smaller than my 29er.

A couple of weeks ago, I rode two Giant hard tails of about the same level (about $1k price tag). One was a 29er and the other a 27.5. Again, there was no doubt that the 27.5 fit me better.
    '18 Scott Spark 730, 27.5+
    '10 Scott Scale 29er

mtbr member
    It's really pretty simple. Ride, then decide; at least if it's possible to demo. At the time this post started, in 2016, I'd been looking at 27.5's and 29ers and couldn't find a 29er I liked. I demo'd several and settled on a 27.5 in 2016 - coincidentally an SB5c like the OP looked at. This last fall, I demo'd some 29ers and realized they had come a long way in 3 years. I'm now on a 29er (Giant Trance Adv 29), at just over 5'8". This summer, I plan to get my wife (5'6") on it to try it out. Maybe she'll like it, maybe not, but I don't think the wheel size will be an issue....she just loves her current 27.5 - an SB5 turq.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    same size as you, 28" inseam.
    when I lose traction on a narrow trail, the rear wheel immediately starts sliding towards The Edge. How to stop it? More rubber on the ground, fast. That means BOTH feet. 0 standover means "Hello boys, meet Mr Toptube."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Usually that means the trail is sloped towards the end anyway, hence it's sliding that way? If so, wouldn't the bike be leaned over and you're going to get your foot down on the high side anyway?

I've never dismounted my bike, even when about to eat ish, by jumping off my saddle and putting both feet down.

It's usually butt still on the saddle, and one foot down, and usually it's the foot on the side that the bike was going to fall down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I'm 5'7 with a 30 inch inseam and I've been riding modern geo 29ers since they started getting a really good foothold in the industry a few years ago. I generally find myself in between S and M sizes but I always go M. Small sized bikes feel too cramped and uncomfortable for me.

On 27.5 bikes, I find that I prefer to ride size L instead of M because L 27.5s feel like 29ers I'm used to. Stack height and overall roominess are similar to a M sized 29er. But of course, seat tubes on L sized bikes are way too long for my inseam, even with a smaller 125 dropper slammed all the way down.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.