Short travel 29er for wife - Joplin S Carbon or Optic C2 Women's- Mtbr.com
    MTB SOCAL

Short travel 29er for wife - Joplin S Carbon or Optic C2 Women's

Considering building up a short travel 29er for my wife. She mostly road bikes, so I don't want to bust the bank on a mountain bike she'll ride occasionally. But, I'm hoping one of the newer geometry trail bikes will help her enjoy mtb more. Both the Juliana Joplin S Carbon and the Norco Optic C2 women's bikes have low / slack geo with steep seat angles and are reasonably spec'd out under $5000.

Any thoughts on either bike, hopefully from someone with saddle time?

Any other bikes to consider? I have an Evil Following v3 on order for me.
    I was considering building her an Evil as well, but it would be pricier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Short travel 29er for wife - Joplin S Carbon or Optic C2 Women's-optic.jpg  

Short travel 29er for wife - Joplin S Carbon or Optic C2 Women's-joplin.jpg  

Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Most roadies donít like heavier bikes. Both 120 mm bikes you mentioned are over 30 pounds. This might put her off. Before you pull the trigger have her demo a few other bikes: Yeti SB100, Pivot 429 SL, Trek Top Fuel, Spot Ryve, Intense Sniper 120 mm. All are closer to 25 pounds. I have the Tallboy and itís very capable but not the best climber.

MTB SOCAL
    Thanks for suggestions. I briefly looked at some of the more cross country oriented 29ers. But, a lot of them have steeper headtube angles. I prefer something 65-66 degrees. She won't be racing, so I don't think weight is too big an issue. The Joplin S carbon is listed at 29.5 lbs. I haven't seen a weight on the Norco yet, but is likely in the 30 lb range as well.

The newer geometry Tallboys / Joplins have a 76 degree seat angle and apparently climb pretty well.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    If she is a roadie I would think research the best bikes that pedal efficient. I would vote in that price range a SLX Ibis Ripley.

MTB SOCAL
    I'm also considering the Ibis Ripley 4 and Transition Spur. Both seem to be good geometry and a little lighter than the Optic / Joplin. Ripley's standover is a little higher than the other bikes, but I'm not sure how much stock to put into manufacturer's standover measurements. Any shorter riders on Ripleys that can comment on standover?
    Kokopelli Racing

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think you're good in considering bikes not specific to women. You still need a good fit.
    I'd give a lot of weight to weight if you want her to ride. 26 would be nice probably for her. And I'd get at least 30mm inner rim wheels.
    Top Fuel XT is 26+ Scott RC 900 Team is 25+ but both need a wheel swap.