Short Travel 29er Suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Short Travel 29er Suggestions?

For the past 4 years I been riding a V1 Ibis Ripley and absolutely love it!
    I love the nimbleness and climbing prowess it has and hold it to a very
    high standard comparing it to bikes whenever I demo - even today's
    bikes.

While it was at my LBS, I demo'd an SB130 and a Norco Range 29er. While these bikes are much bigger and burlier, they are nowhere close to
    the climbing ability as my Ripley ( I understand they are in a different category, btw). In fact, I don't think there is any bike out there that is close to it's climbing prowess.

Both of these bikes were more stable obviously in descents and I enjoyed them apart from their climbing prowess and their weight (my Ripley is 25 LBS, and these bikes weigh 30+ ). When I got my bike back, it felt like a BMX bike!..LOL! So I now appreciate my bike even more!

So my big takeaway from these demos, is that when I eventually get another bike, these are my top 3 requirements:

1. Nimbleness
    2. Climbing Ability
    3. Stability on descents.

I feel like I need to find something that is a good balance between weight/ stability. I think I'd prefer something under 30Lbs that is a short travel bike.

I would appreciate some suggestions. Since I'm so happy with my Ripley, I would consider a newer model V2- to current if I find a good deal. However, I do get tired of the high maintenance of this bike - they are prone to creaking excessively and am currently struggling with resolving a reoccurrence of this issue.

Furthermore, I'm wondering if there are any newer brands I should consider? I'm aware there are a lot of "micro-brands" such as Revel or Guerilla Gravity for example. A bonus would be a brand that comes in at a lower price point than boutique brands such as Yeti, Ibis, etc. That are as good in quality of their products.

Thanks

orthonormal
    Since your LBS obviously carries both Yeti and Norco, go back and demo the Yeti SB100 and the Norco Revolver 120. Either of these should make you happy on the climbs and easily outperform your Ripley on the descents.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    I'm having a great time on my new SantaCruz Tallboy 29er. Tuesday I did a 45min climb (should have been 30 but I'm outa shape from being drunk the last 18mos) I did put the shock on 'stiff' but no need to lock the fork out! Climbs great!!
    120mm front / 110mm back
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Short Travel 29er Suggestions?-img_0424.jpg  

Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

be1
    mtbr member
    short travel 29er bikes i have ridden a bunch -
    santa cruz tallboy - never had to use shock lockout though. climbs really well.
    marin rift zone 3 - underrated IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    All Full Suspension will require Maintainence ant somepoint, so will hard tails though. I think you answered your own question later model Ripley, V3 at great prices right now and the V4 while if order from a smaller LBS you might need to wait is a Hot Ripper.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    I recommend the bike that I have...a 2019 (or a 2020 would be great also) GIANT ANTHEM. Awesome bike, especially when price is a consideration--tops in the "bang for your buck" category.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Just got a Ripley V4. It climbs unlike anything I have ever been on and descends on anything I am willing to actually ride.

My requirements were very similar to yours and I ended up with the V4 and couldn't be happier. I believe the creaking noise in the older models was mainly due to the eccentric linkage system that has now been replaced with a more traditional DW link. I was also considering the new Giant Trance, which sounds like a great short-travel climber also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You should try an xc race bike, nimble and fast climbing. Like sw_rider said, the Anthems look like a good value. I'm not a wheel/hub snob yet, but I'm moving in that direction; it seems you don't get a top-quality wheelset unless you spend a whole lot of money (most of the time), I know a couple of guys who've built fs bikes starting with carbon frames from china (see the huge china carbon frame thread), they've built great bikes with great wheels for reasonable cost.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    You should try an xc race bike, nimble and fast climbing. Like sw_rider said, the Anthems look like a good value. I'm not a wheel/hub snob yet, but I'm moving in that direction; it seems you don't get a top-quality wheelset unless you spend a whole lot of money (most of the time), I know a couple of guys who've built fs bikes starting with carbon frames from china (see the huge china carbon frame thread), they've built great bikes with great wheels for reasonable cost.
    where is the Forbidden City Trail located? if ya don't mind telling
    breezy shade