Shipping a 29'er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shipping a 29'er

I just got back from a trip to Florida. (Returning to 30 inches of snow in Massachusetts. LOL)
    I had a hard time packing two 26 inch wheeled mountain bikes in standard bike boxes and bags.
    My new bike will be a 29'er, and I'm sure that it won't fit in the Bike Bag that I own. Has anyone taken their 29'er for a plane ride? And if so, which bike box/container works best?

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyjhsu
    I just got back from a trip to Florida. (Returning to 30 inches of snow in Massachusetts. LOL)
    I had a hard time packing two 26 inch wheeled mountain bikes in standard bike boxes and bags.
    My new bike will be a 29'er, and I'm sure that it won't fit in the Bike Bag that I own. Has anyone taken their 29'er for a plane ride? And if so, which bike box/container works best?
    Wheelsize shouldn't be a problem with the tires removed. I don't know about the box or how the extra wheelbase of a 29"er would affect it.

paintbucket
    Good question. If I measure perpendicular from the fork to the rear dropout on my 20" Voodoo I get ~41". My box is 46" long. Gonna be tight. I think a test run is in order some rainy weekend before the summer when I ship the bike up north for vacation.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Re: Bike bags

Didn't have a problem with mine. I have a padded bag made by stix that's 5 years old. It never even occured to me I might have a problem fitting in my 29 until I was packing it up the day before I left! Didn't have to worry it fitted fine, although the zips on the wheel bags were a little tight. I ride a 19" Vicious hardtail, not the longest 29er out there but then my bike bag isn't the biggest I have seen either.
    Luke