Shimano Disc Brakes- Mtbr.com
    tmw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Shimano Disc Brakes

Any recommendations on shimano disc brakes, saints would be nice but pricey, any thoughts

mtbr member
    I've been going round and round in circles regarding brakes and hubs lately and keep coming back to XT for both. Amazing prices on CRC and I know a few people with them who love them. Will be buying them in the next week or so, including discs.

mtbr member
    For what bike?

Unless you are going to be doing some serious down hill or freeriding, why would you need a four piston caliper. I'm a good 220lbs kitted and my XT brakes are powerful enough and easy to lock up. The Saint and XT levers are basically the same, except for color.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

ADIDAB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    For what bike?

Unless you are going to be doing some serious down hill or freeriding, why would you need a four piston caliper. I'm a good 220lbs kitted and my XT brakes are powerful enough and easy to lock up. The Saint and XT levers are basically the same, except for color.

Ronnie.
    Saint is overkill if you're not riding DH. XT will be plenty. I have two sets and they are powerful with nice modulation and they're are dead easy to maintain. Stops me on a dime and I'm about the same weight as Ronnie. There are some great deals to be had on ebay. The last set I bought late last year had everything including rotors for $US300 + shipping...
    My LBS | Riding this and this

tmw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks, I have a redline d440

tmw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Another vote for XT I have a set on my current bike and I'm putting a new set on my air 9 build. I think they modulation is a lot better than the Jucy brakes I use to have.

Schipperkes are cool.
    SLX is a KILLER setup for the money!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    I'll throw out another one for the XT's...
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    is everyone using the shimano rotors? I have an extra set of avid. compatible?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm using Shimano XTs with BRAKING rotors on both my bikes. Powerful, quiet, reliable.

Holy Land Rider.
    May 2008
    i'm using a set of SLX levers and x (2007 calipers) rotors are xt's as well.
    as of pad i use a mix of both resin and metal.
    quit yet powerfull.
    i ride mud and desert when i can.

mtbr member
    I had the opportunity to try the 2009 XT's on a rental bike in Downieville. They're the best disc brake I've ever used.

I've used Avid Juicy's, Hope Mini's, and currently using Formula Oro K24's.

Off the back...
    I have SLX on one bike [diSSent] and XT on the other [El Guapo]. Modulation is great, both are easy to adjust and ridiculously easy to maintain. The XT has a wee bit more power. If you want Shimano metal pads, be aware that they might squeal like a pig, wet or dry. I switched to Fibrax metal pads and haven't heard a peep since.

To the poster who was wondering about compatibility with Avid rotors - yes, I've run Avid rotors on the diSSent for almost a year with no issues. Any rotor should work fine. No turkey warble either...

mtbr member

XT 775 mount adapter

I found what looks to be a good price on Levers & calipers (no rotor) at CRC. They are post mounts w/o adapter. Can I use Avid mount adapters like the ones that came w/ my 2008 BB7s??? I don't see the adapters w/ them.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=23049

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grande
    I found what looks to be a good price on Levers & calipers (no rotor) at CRC. They are post mounts w/o adapter. Can I use Avid mount adapters like the ones that came w/ my 2008 BB7s??? I don't see the adapters w/ them.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=23049
    The price at Chain Reaction is an absolute steal. I bought my XT brakes from them. You probably could use the Avid adaptors but for a few dollars each, why not get the Shimano. The price is without discs and adaptors as you can choose size and disc interface type too. If you use a 160mm. front you do not need an adaptor, unless your fork still has IS mounts.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    thanks for the reply.

did the brakes come with hoses. It was not clear to me in the description

bike tester
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    I have SLX on one bike [diSSent] and XT on the other [El Guapo]. Modulation is great, both are easy to adjust and ridiculously easy to maintain. The XT has a wee bit more power.
    I have found modulation on the XT to be quite lacking. Otherwise, very powerful brake even with organics.

TBH I ride formula oro usually, they have the best modulation i have ever come across... so the XT's might still be good but seem weird to me by comparison.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by syl3
    I have found modulation on the XT to be quite lacking. Otherwise, very powerful brake even with organics.

TBH I ride formula oro usually, they have the best modulation i have ever come across... so the XT's might still be good but seem weird to me by comparison.
    I don't mean to argumentative but I have XT's and Formula Bianco's and I find the XT's better in almost every way including modulation.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Just in case the OP is after something cheaper I am running the new model Deores and really liking them for the money. No XT but certainly not a dud.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3

It might be a bad bleed if you aren't getting modulation, or you're riding when it's colder than -20 out.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grande
    is everyone using the shimano rotors? I have an extra set of avid. compatible?

It is not a good idea to mix different manufacturer of rotors and calipers as the pads & rotors are different thickness. Also Elixir rotors are thicker then the BB5/BB7/Juicy/Code rotors. Though with the BB7 you 'can' get away with different rotors because the mechanical adjust-ability of the caliper.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    The shimano m485 s are working good for me right now
    NIB Salsa Timberjack Ti Medium frame for sale $1700, Portland OR

Members who have read this thread: 0