Shiman Hone cranks vs. XT- Mtbr.com
    ( )
    Nov 2004

Shiman Hone cranks vs. XT

I'm trying to decide between the Shimano XT's FC-M760s and Hone FC-M600 or 601s.
    Anyone have experience with the Hone cranks? Both have integrated BB, but the Hones are $100 cheaper and look better IMO. Anyone know what the difference is? If it's only in the chainrings, that doesn't matter much to me. I would really like the Hone FC-M601 which is the double (32/22) with bashguard, but it doesn't seem like they're available in the US yet. I checked the drivetrain forum but not much info.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by steevo
    I'm trying to decide between the Shimano XT's FC-M760s and Hone FC-M600 or 601s.
    Anyone have experience with the Hone cranks? Both have integrated BB, but the Hones are $100 cheaper and look better IMO. Anyone know what the difference is? If it's only in the chainrings, that doesn't matter much to me. I would really like the Hone FC-M601 which is the double (32/22) with bashguard, but it doesn't seem like they're available in the US yet. I checked the drivetrain forum but not much info.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Hones are black LX cranks (see pictures below). I'm not sure what the exact differences are between Hone/LX and XT. I think it mostly comes down to the inner chainring and bolts being aluminum on the XT while they're steel on the Hone/LX. The XT are also a different shape and I'm sure Shimano would tell you that they're stiffer, but I have no doubt that you'd be just as happy with the Hones and $100 in your pocket.

Last edited by tvrbob86; 02-19-2006 at 06:17 AM.

Category Winner
    The spiders are different on the LX and the Hones.
    Look closely
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Dec 2004
    Here is a link to the stiffness tests for these cranks:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=60499

The LX/Hone uses a different/heavier axle than the XT, and as already mentioned it has a steel granny ring vs aluminum on the XT and some of the hardware is steel vs aluminun on the XT. If you changed the LX/Hone to have the same hardware and chainring as the XT, it would weigh around 900 grams, but you would give up some durability.

Sweep the leg!
    I saw a set at a LBS and their staff told me the Hone cranks were built beefier than the other Shitmano cranks. Their intended customer was the free ride or downhill riders. So it may have a few grams more weight than a cross country crank like an LX or XT.

I do agree with you on the look of the crank. It does have clean lines.

( )
    Nov 2004
    Thanks everyone for the info. So it looks like the axel, chainring bolts/nuts and inner chainring are the difference, with the Hone's having stainless steel where the XT's are aluminum. Difference in weight is negligible to me. I'll probably save some cash and get the cool stealth look of the Hones.

what a joke
    Do the hones come in 180's?

Could only find them in 170 or 175.
    Last edited by ozlongboarder; 02-19-2006 at 09:38 PM.
    blah blah blah

Mar 2005
    The Shimano catalogue has a 1 gram difference in weight between the Hones and the LX.

Gary

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    Do the hones come in 180's?

Could only find them in 170 or 175.
    Nope. You have to go up to the XT, XTR, or Saint. It's too bad. 180mm Hones would make for a nice, not too expensive singlespeed setup.

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    The spiders are different on the LX and the Hones.
    Look closely
    Nice catch. I looked quickly and on my dark monitor I totally missed that.

mtbr member

Hones

Hones would make for a nice, not too expensive singlespeed setup

Your right. I got a great deal on my XT's but the Hones would have been cheaper and a great choice for SS. My only justification is that I purchased two sets of XT's (one geared one SS) and can use the rings from the SS when the geared version wears out. I do not know what the Hones sell for but the LX’s are freaking cheap. I purchased a set for my son on sale for $130!

Members who have read this thread: 0