A sheep downunder- Mtbr.com
    TR
    Angry bunny

A sheep downunder

After much discussion with the guys from Blacksheep Imports down here in Australia the decision was made for a Blacksheep Highlight to replace my Salsa Mamasita as the first of my race bikes for the 2010 racing season which will include the World Solo 24hr Championships.
    They stepped me through the whole procedure including fitting, geometry, assisting with part selection and even building the bike into the early hours of this morning.

Unfortunately it is a work day here so this is as good as it got with the camera. Tomorrow is Saturday so I will update the post with some more detailed pictures.

Build is as follows:

Blacksheep Highlight with 25"ETT and 20.5"ST
    Gold Hopes laced to Stans Arches
    Gold Arch skewers
    Ignitor front, Crossmark rear
    Reba Race with Pushloc
    Formula Puros' with Straitline levers
    Alligator ti nitrate rotors
    Hope headset (gold)
    Thomson X4 stem
    KCNC SC Bone handlebar
    Ergon GX1 grips
    XTR shifters
    XTR front and rear derailleur
    XTR Pedals
    Middleburn cranks and chainrings (22/32/44)
    Blacksheep seatpost
    Woodman deathgrip seat clamp (gold)
    SRAM PG990 chain
    WTB Silverado saddle
    Weight - 11.2kg with tubes installed

I still have some ideas to drop some more weight without going too silly, including conversion to tubeless, some lighter grips, a lighter stem and perhaps lighter bars.

Many, many thanks again to Shannon and Pete from Blacksheep Imports for all of their support and assistance.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Now that's a race bike! Sweet as frane and awesome build.

Thumbs up from Melbourne!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    and it's little baby sister....
    Blacksheep will be smashing them downunder!!!!!

Blacksheep Highlight-ish (hey, it is customised for 24 solos) - 22.5" ETT and 16" ST
    DTSwiss 380s laced to Stans 335s
    a2Z Ti skewers
    Ignitor front, Crossmark rear
    Reba Race with Pushloc
    Limited Edition Formula Minaar's
    Formula Rotors
    cane creek solos headset (red)
    MaxM stem
    Easton EC70 bar
    yeti grips
    XTR shifters
    XTR front and rear derailleur
    XTR Pedals
    Middleburn RS8 cranks and slickshift, hardcoat chainrings (20/30/40)
    Blacksheep seatpost
    Shimano DuraAce chain
    Specialized Jett Body Geometry saddle
    Weight - just over 10kg (22lb) with tubes installed
    Last edited by singer; 01-29-2010 at 12:21 AM.

Tulsa
    i like that bike very much

great collaborative effort there
    wherever you go, there you are

mtbr member
    Very sweet TR, that an uber upgrade from the Mama I bet the ride quality is much smoooother. Looking forward to your thoughts as usual and wondering what the FS is gona be
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Very sweet TR, that an uber upgrade from the Mama I bet the ride quality is much smoooother. Looking forward to your thoughts as usual and wondering what the FS is gona be

Patience my Carribean friend.
    There are a couple of options that I am looking into through Blacksheep Imports with one already ridden and the other to be tested this weekend hopefully.

JustRide44
    Very nice builds- I'm waiting on my syellar to build up 1X9 with the middleburn. I'm curious- have you tried different casette's & found one to be more compliant with the middleburn rings? I raced 2x9 on a duo last season & maybe it was the lack or range on the front derailer but it just wasn't crisp & I dropped the chain several times...

BTW- You must have very similar riding conditions- That is THE tire setup. What do you run them ~25/28?

mtbr member
    Hey Singer, how come you have your Ignitor on that way? Just curious, as far as Maxxis is concerned tyre name goes on drive side and in inspecting the tread I concur.
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Caged Animal
    Sep 2007
    Holy works of art!!!

(was) Big in Japan
    How many weeks you gonna keep this one TR?
    Ride.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Hey Singer, how come you have your Ignitor on that way? Just curious, as far as Maxxis is concerned tyre name goes on drive side and in inspecting the tread I concur.
    I will suggest that one of her mechanics (me ) put that on wrong.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by rooster44
    Very nice builds- I'm waiting on my syellar to build up 1X9 with the middleburn. I'm curious- have you tried different casette's & found one to be more compliant with the middleburn rings? I raced 2x9 on a duo last season & maybe it was the lack or range on the front derailer but it just wasn't crisp & I dropped the chain several times...

BTW- You must have very similar riding conditions- That is THE tire setup. What do you run them ~25/28?
    From talking with Shannon from Blacksheep they can be temperamental with different chains. We tried a gold 10speed chain on mine, which I have used on other drivetrains, and it was having none of it. Swicthed to the 9speed SRAM chain and it was AOK.

This is the first time I have used Middleburn though so that is the extent of my knowledge.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    How many weeks you gonna keep this one TR?
    I am hoping it will be like my Moots, which I have had for a couple of years now and have no plans of selling off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    I will suggest that one of her mechanics (me ) put that on wrong.

TR is obviously trying to slow me down, no-one likes being dropped by a girl!
    Good pick up - off to flip it now before this mornings ride.

Most people I know who are running middleburns (it's only a couple) are running shimano cassettes and chains no problems.

mtbr member
    I'd hit it. Nice build.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    very nice....

i am glad you had a fit done. you and i are pretty much the same size and i have always thought your 24.5 TT bike are a bit small for you. i know it is "only 1/2", it just feels so much better when i am riding a 25" tt bike....24.5 feels too small...

if you feel like the 25" is too long, shoot me a PM and send that sheep my way
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Very nice looking, indeed! Kudos to both bikes. My 3rd will be here next week. Nothing rides quite like a BlackSheep.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    i know it is "only 1/2", it just feels so much better when i am riding
    That's what she said

Sweet bike TR

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    very nice....

i am glad you had a fit done. you and i are pretty much the same size and i have always thought your 24.5 TT bike are a bit small for you. i know it is "only 1/2", it just feels so much better when i am riding a 25" tt bike....24.5 feels too small...

if you feel like the 25" is too long, shoot me a PM and send that sheep my way
    Yet despite this longer ETT I am now running a 10mm shorter stem.
    I can ride either I think but with a 110mm stem on the 24.5" or a 100mm on the 25".

mtbr member
    I suggest you look for another mech ASAP, since I believe that if this was overlooked there are prob loads of other stuff that got as much care and attention FYI, I work for food and lodging and would love to visit and ride in Austrailia

Quote Originally Posted by singer
    TR is obviously trying to slow me down, no-one likes being dropped by a girl!
    Good pick up - off to flip it now before this mornings ride.

Most people I know who are running middleburns (it's only a couple) are running shimano cassettes and chains no problems.

TR
    Angry bunny
    I suggest you look for another mech ASAP, since I believe that if this was overlooked there are prob loads of other stuff that got as much care and attention FYI, I work for food and lodging and would love to visit and ride in Austrailia

Shhhhhh!!!!
    There are no other problems................................that she will ever find.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Those are some beautiful Sheep... Hope you crush your races with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Curvy bikes are not really my thing but holy jeebus there is a lot of win in that bike. You racing solo nats?

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by C Dunlop
    Curvy bikes are not really my thing but holy jeebus there is a lot of win in that bike. You racing solo nats?
    We both race endurance events (6hrs plus) and have both qualified for this years World Solo 24hr Championships in Canberra.

mtbr member
    FYI, I work for food and lodging and would love to visit and ride in Austrailia
    I would not put that anywhere in writing before applying for a tourist visa....
    Immigration is pretty sensitive around here.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

LMAO Hahahaha, well then thank goodness we don't need a visa to visit Aus

Quote Originally Posted by eric_syd
    I would not put that anywhere in writing before applying for a tourist visa....
    Immigration is pretty sensitive around here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    \

now that there may be the best advice I have ever been given....
    where were you when I was breaking **** in Canmore last year.....

It went like this....
    rach says - "my gears are broken, I cannot get the 4 lowest gears on the cassette"
    Tr says - "i'll take a look"...... "nope, you will have to ride it like that"
    rach says - "#@$!!!"

*rach rides off*
    *rach comes back*

rach says - "my gears are broken, I cannot get the 4 lowest gears on the cassette"
    rach says - "#@$!!!"

... repeat for 16 or so hours.

Actually to be fair I did snap the barrel adjuster off the shifter... but who lets facts get in the way of a good story.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Got to ride it on some singletrack over the weekend.
    Rides beautifully and, a little like my old Jet, instils confidence to jump and ride off stuff that I may not usually.

Ardent on the front definitely has to go though.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Got to ride it on some singletrack over the weekend.
    Rides beautifully and, a little like my old Jet, instils confidence to jump and ride off stuff that I may not usually.

Ardent on the front definitely has to go though.
    I found the Ardent washed out alot compaired to the Ignitor on the rip9 what will you be going to ?
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic
    I found the Ardent washed out alot compaired to the Ignitor on the rip9 what will you be going to ?

Probably just a Rampage for training and trail riding.

mtbr member
    Damnit Now you tell me
    Actually I was here, BUT, I did offer come up and help but TR said NOOoooooooooooo I know what I'm doing

Seriously though, next time make sure you're using bolt on grips and have the usual spares... tyres, tubes etc and spare shifters, derailleurs, cables, brake pads, brakes, seatpost, chainring bolts, crankset and all the tools There's no way I'd travel all that distance without backups for just about everything. Can't imgine having to muscle out 16 hours with 20t as you're lowest cog Now see if you used Shimano older (pre 700 series) stuff you would still have had the barrel adjuster on the derailleur

Quote Originally Posted by singer
    \
    now that there may be the best advice I have ever been given....
    where were you when I was breaking **** in Canmore last year.....

It went like this....
    rach says - "#@$!!!"

*rach rides off*
    *rach comes back*

rach says - "#@$!!!"

... repeat for 16 or so hours.

Actually to be fair I did snap the barrel adjuster off the shifter... but who lets facts get in the way of a good story.
    Last edited by LyNx; 01-31-2010 at 05:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I think C Dunlop meant the Easter solo only 24hr at Majura. Best race ever.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by PhatSlug
    I think C Dunlop meant the Easter solo only 24hr at Majura. Best race ever.
    Absolutely not a chance in hell of racing that weekend.

a) it is Easter weekend
    b) I have family coming over from Canada

mtbr member
    One of these days your Caribbean cousin will come visit Let's see I think the winning loto numbers are..............

Meanwhile, if you want to see what trails are like over here check out the photos section.
    Absolutely not a chance in hell of racing that weekend.

a) it is Easter weekend
    b) I have family coming over from Canada

Carbon & Ti rule
    Well Lynx & TR There is a 12/24 hour Mtb ride in Rotorua,New Zealand 8th May & a 12hour 11th Sep in Taupo,New Zealand ( they claim the Taupo 1 to be the largest MTB event in the world ) Normally about 2500 riders in all So don't know there may well be events with more riders but it is pretty big.

Any how we have spare beds in the Houses we stay at & room in the tent on the day if either of you are keen to come & do them.

http://www.eventpromotions.co.nz/
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

TR
    Angry bunny
    Well Lynx & TR There is a 12/24 hour Mtb ride in Rotorua,New Zealand 8th May & a 12hour 11th Sep in Taupo,New Zealand ( they claim the Taupo 1 to be the largest MTB event in the world ) Normally about 2500 riders in all So don't know there may well be events with more riders but it is pretty big.

Any how we have spare beds in the Houses we stay at & room in the tent on the day if either of you are keen to come & do them.

http://www.eventpromotions.co.nz/
    Possibly.
    Will check what our guys are doing and whether I can get a leave pass from my wife.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Finally found some time to get some decent pics.
    Bike is now run in so excuse the dirt, dust and a bit of grease.

Spennie approves (or thinks I am a weird old dude taking pics of my bike).

(was) Big in Japan

Spennie approves (or thinks I am a weird old dude taking pics of my bike).

My goodness he looks like you TR (poor kid... ).

Nice bike.
    Ride.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    My goodness he looks like you TR (poor kid... ).

Nice bike.
    Definitely mine.

ADIDAB
    Bike is now run in so excuse the dirt, dust and a bit of grease.

How does the WW/Ardent combo work for you TR?
    My LBS | Riding this and this

TR
    Angry bunny
    Have been very happy with the Ardent on the back for a while now.
    The WW only went on this week but so far it has been great on the hardpack conditions that I ride up here in Brisbane.

mtbr member
    nice bike TR & singer, my favorite sheep would have to be with that rigid fork model Stellar

mtbr member
    You're just having fun playing and training on those tyres right? Cause I know you wouldn't race with a 700+g and 800+g tyre

Have been very happy with the Ardent on the back for a while now.
    The WW only went on this week but so far it has been great on the hardpack conditions that I ride up here in Brisbane.

TR
    Angry bunny
    You're just having fun playing and training on those tyres right? Cause I know you wouldn't race with a 700+g and 800+g tyre
    Yep, just for fun.
    Tubes installed too just so that I can swap and change easily.
    Love tubeless but not for every day riding.
    Too restrictive.

Spear & Magic Helmet
    So, how much air can you get coming off the top bar on to the trampoline. Looks almost as fun as the bike.

BTW: the bike's a killer! Congrats.

Question about the disc rotors. I was thinking about the Alligator Wind-Cutter as well, and though that the Ti Nitrite would be a good choice as it is reputed to be harder. Doesn't look like it lasts. Could you tell a difference or is it mostly just cosmetic?

Cheers and enjoy the ridin'!

TR
    Angry bunny
    Bugger the trampoline!!
    Down the slide is where it is at!!
    The coating wore off my rotors after one ride so I don't hold it as doing much.
    They do work OK for lightweight rotors but are prone to fade after long DH's.
    I don't notice the same fade with normal rotors so am guessing it is the rotor and not the brakes.

Spear & Magic Helmet
    Bugger the trampoline!!
    Down the slide is where it is at!!
    The coating wore off my rotors after one ride so I don't hold it as doing much.
    They do work OK for lightweight rotors but are prone to fade after long DH's.
    I don't notice the same fade with normal rotors so am guessing it is the rotor and not the brakes.
    Yeah. The slide looks pretty fun, too. We've just got a tube slide, no bumps. But put a hose at top and a kiddy pool at the bottom ... ah, good times.

Thanks for the info on the brakes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A sheep downunder-p7260134.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0