sharing wheels between bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

sharing wheels between bikes?

Not really a 29er specific questions, but I'm a 29er guy, so I figured this was a good place to ask.

I currently have a RIP9, it has a 20mm thru axle setup with this hub http://www.wtb.com/products/wheels/h...discsuperduty/ 110mm spacing, the hub itself is really not very wide and it has some type of inserts to give it the spacing.

I'm wanting to build a lighter hard tail for tamer XC trails/racing (looks like it will be an air9) and the shock I have in mind is standard QR.

So, I'm wondering if there are inserts for the above hub that would allow it to work with a standard QR (think that is 100mm).

This would allow me to share the wheels between bikes.

If they are not available for this particular hub, are there compatible hubs that allow such adapters?

I'll probably eventually end up with another set of wheels, but it would be nice to possibly have one nice set that I could share between bikes without having to have all thru axle setups.

Bite Me.
    Hope, Stan's ZTR Heavy Duty, DT Swiss 240s all have replaceable end caps that allow you to go from 20mm to 15mm to 9mmQR - there are probably more. I don't think the WTB hubs have that feature.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

banned
    Sep 2007
    I believe Hadley makes convertible front hubs also. Since I own a RIP and an AIR 9, I just went with two complete wheel sets. I hate pulling wheels on and off all the time when I run hydraulic brakes on both bikes. I run a trailer hitch with a bike rack on the back, just to avoid all the assemble/tear down time of wheels and axles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Hope, Stan's ZTR Heavy Duty, DT Swiss 240s all have replaceable end caps that allow you to go from 20mm to 15mm to 9mmQR - there are probably more. I don't think the WTB hubs have that feature.
    Only the 240 Oversized (the one that comes stock as 20mm) is convertible. The 240 QR can only be converted to a 9mm thru-bolt like the RWS

mtbr member
    If I'm not mistaken, some hubs that are convertable may require a re-dishing when going from 9mm QR to 20mm through axle and back.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I9 hubs are convertible, changing wheels is iffy though, brakes usually need to be adjusted aith each change

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    brakes usually need to be adjusted aith each change
    that can be worked around, to varying degrees of success. Assuming both are 6 bolt rotors, whichever rotor sits further inboard can be shimmed out with thin shims to match the position of the other.

Bedwards Of The West
    I swap wheelsets between bikes and one set has centerlock hubs...I avoided the brake adjustment issue by using centerlock adapters and running standard 6 bolt rotors on both sets. This made it easy to shim the centerlock ones out using itty bitty superthin washers on the adapters to match the position of the other rotors...if you do your initial brake set-up very patiently while swapping wheels several times, you can get things very, very close.

Never dealt with your thru-axle issue though...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    If I'm not mistaken, some hubs that are convertable may require a re-dishing when going from 9mm QR to 20mm through axle and back.

Huh?

If that were the case, that's hardly considered interchangeable. My Hope front hub went from QR > 20MM and all I had to to do was remove some little circle clips and pop on some spacers. Easy, no redishing or anything like that. I am not too familiar with the Hope rear hub regarding switching from QR to thru axle or bolt on, though.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys.

Sounds like there are some good hubs out there, that can convert from QR to thru axle, but I don't think it will be worth the hassle unless I built a really high end wheelset that was worth sharing. My current wheels are decent, but not worth swapping hubs on.

I had also not considered the fact that the rotors would also be shared.

Members who have read this thread: 0