seeking advice on 1x9 HT build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

seeking advice on 1x9 HT build

Hi All - I'm considering building up a Sette Razzo on the cheap for steep climbing and have a couple of componentry questions.

I'm thinking about 1x9 with a 22 chain ring on the front. Cheap crank recommendations? I could get something like a raceface 3x9 for about $80, put a bash guard on and not use the middle chainring. Of course the chainline would not be optimal for running the low gears like 11x22. Maybe something that has different axle sizes so I could control the position of the inner chain ring? I don't think I can fit a 22 on the middle chainring position.

Can anyone suggest some lighter but wider (25-28 mm) rims for a wheel build. The lightweight Stans look good but are pretty pricey. Probably running with tubes.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I had some Stans Arch rims built with DMR Revolver hubs for about 300 dollars. I'm 195 pounds and have ridden them for two years on XC type trails. The hubs are quiet and decent. No problem to date.

I run my bike (Soul Cycle Dillinger) with a 1x9 set up. I use the race face with a bash guard but with a standard middle ring.

Good Luck

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That should have read "I have some", meaning I currently use them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I did mine on the cheap too. Find some old 5 arm 94mm spider crank arms. Cannondale Coda, old Race Face, and that will get you down to a 29t ring on the middle position in the front. Then get the "29er" cassette, 12-36. That should get you able to climb most anythiing. If you still can't climb with that, then you need to stick to at least 2 chainrings in the front imho.

mtbr member
    From Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator
    29 inch tire, 22 tooth chainring, 175mm crank @ 80 rpm

12- 12.7 mph
    14- 10.9
    16- 9.5
    18- 8.5
    20- 7.6
    23- 6.6
    26- 5.9
    30- 5.1
    34- 4.5 mph

I'd say a 22T chain ring is super slow. Try a 32T to start with.
    Good luck

mtbr member
    i have a 36 in front, on mt scandal.
    So many bikes, so little time.
    04 Stumpy Pro, 08 Kona Dawg Dee and now my entry into the 29er world, On One Scandal.

Trail Junkie
    Depending on your fitness level 32-36 is going to be the sweetspot for racing, and give you all the power bands. If you wanted lower gearing, go with something like a 28T which takes the spot of the 22T. Blackspire makes one that is absolutely bombproof and will last forever. I have one that was used for a 28/38 2x9 setup couple years ago.

Someone mentioned the 29T, but honestly a 28T that fits the 64BCD on a standard crankset w/o no funky BCD configurations are probably your best bet. It makes availability much better. They also make nearly every tooth option from 22-28T on the 64BCD position, and 32-40T on the 104BCD Inner ring position. So you have plenty of spread to choose from. I suggest consciously riding your bike in one ring/gear combo like a singlespeed to see how it feels. Then take that combo to the Sheldon Brown Gear Calculator and start fiddling with the numbers. Its pretty intuitive since you can put in custom ring combinations..a little research will go a long way!

If you go 9 speed, I would suggest the Shimano SLX 12-36 9 speed cassette. This will give you that extra lower gear but not sacrifice very much on your mid to topend.

I would say a 32/33/34T (pick one) and 12-36T cassette would be a good starting point to guage where you need to go from there. Chances are that will get you pretty close to the sweetspot!

As for rims Stan's Archs have the same inside width as most XC wheels, just a double wall for strength (19mm). If you want wider, you have to go with a wider rim like the Flows.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've got a jet9 right now and most of my climbs in the Colorado Front Range seem to go straight up for 4 miles (1800 feet gain). I'm in pretty decent shape (for 52 years old) and I spend almost all of my in 22 x (23-34) while trying to keep a reasonable cadence. I had the bike for 8 months before I realized I'd never been on the big ring so I ditched that for a bash guard. Now in thinking about a 1x9 design, it seems the 22 is really where I want to be. Chris

mtbr member
    Guys not to highjack the thread but what bashgaurd should I go with? I have a LX deore crankset. I never use the big ring and want to go 2x9.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I got a 32 tooth bash guard that's very nice from this guy:

http://www.bbgbashguard.com/

fits nicely a little larger than my middle chain ring using the existing bolts.

Cheers

mtbr member
    What crankset are you running?

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd
    Guys not to highjack the thread but what bashgaurd should I go with? I have a LX deore crankset. I never use the big ring and want to go 2x9.
    I used a Race Face bash light on my LX cranks... fit perfectly... not overly bulky, perfect for XC...

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

Members who have read this thread: 0