• 05-18-2011
    cjcrawford
    seeking advice on 1x9 HT build
    Hi All - I'm considering building up a Sette Razzo on the cheap for steep climbing and have a couple of componentry questions.

I'm thinking about 1x9 with a 22 chain ring on the front. Cheap crank recommendations? I could get something like a raceface 3x9 for about $80, put a bash guard on and not use the middle chainring. Of course the chainline would not be optimal for running the low gears like 11x22. Maybe something that has different axle sizes so I could control the position of the inner chain ring? I don't think I can fit a 22 on the middle chainring position.

Can anyone suggest some lighter but wider (25-28 mm) rims for a wheel build. The lightweight Stans look good but are pretty pricey. Probably running with tubes.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris
  • 05-18-2011
    Dallas Mafia
    I had some Stans Arch rims built with DMR Revolver hubs for about 300 dollars. I'm 195 pounds and have ridden them for two years on XC type trails. The hubs are quiet and decent. No problem to date.

I run my bike (Soul Cycle Dillinger) with a 1x9 set up. I use the race face with a bash guard but with a standard middle ring.

Good Luck
  • 05-18-2011
    Dallas Mafia
    That should have read "I have some", meaning I currently use them.
  • 05-18-2011
    Jlee197853
    I did mine on the cheap too. Find some old 5 arm 94mm spider crank arms. Cannondale Coda, old Race Face, and that will get you down to a 29t ring on the middle position in the front. Then get the "29er" cassette, 12-36. That should get you able to climb most anythiing. If you still can't climb with that, then you need to stick to at least 2 chainrings in the front imho.
  • 05-18-2011
    ppfeifer
    From Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator
    29 inch tire, 22 tooth chainring, 175mm crank @ 80 rpm

12- 12.7 mph
    14- 10.9
    16- 9.5
    18- 8.5
    20- 7.6
    23- 6.6
    26- 5.9
    30- 5.1
    34- 4.5 mph

I'd say a 22T chain ring is super slow. Try a 32T to start with.
    Good luck
  • 05-18-2011
    wuznme
    i have a 36 in front, on mt scandal.
  • 05-18-2011
    dubdryver
    Depending on your fitness level 32-36 is going to be the sweetspot for racing, and give you all the power bands. If you wanted lower gearing, go with something like a 28T which takes the spot of the 22T. Blackspire makes one that is absolutely bombproof and will last forever. I have one that was used for a 28/38 2x9 setup couple years ago.

Someone mentioned the 29T, but honestly a 28T that fits the 64BCD on a standard crankset w/o no funky BCD configurations are probably your best bet. It makes availability much better. They also make nearly every tooth option from 22-28T on the 64BCD position, and 32-40T on the 104BCD Inner ring position. So you have plenty of spread to choose from. I suggest consciously riding your bike in one ring/gear combo like a singlespeed to see how it feels. Then take that combo to the Sheldon Brown Gear Calculator and start fiddling with the numbers. Its pretty intuitive since you can put in custom ring combinations..a little research will go a long way!

If you go 9 speed, I would suggest the Shimano SLX 12-36 9 speed cassette. This will give you that extra lower gear but not sacrifice very much on your mid to topend.

I would say a 32/33/34T (pick one) and 12-36T cassette would be a good starting point to guage where you need to go from there. Chances are that will get you pretty close to the sweetspot!

As for rims Stan's Archs have the same inside width as most XC wheels, just a double wall for strength (19mm). If you want wider, you have to go with a wider rim like the Flows.
  • 05-19-2011
    cjcrawford
    I've got a jet9 right now and most of my climbs in the Colorado Front Range seem to go straight up for 4 miles (1800 feet gain). I'm in pretty decent shape (for 52 years old) and I spend almost all of my in 22 x (23-34) while trying to keep a reasonable cadence. I had the bike for 8 months before I realized I'd never been on the big ring so I ditched that for a bash guard. Now in thinking about a 1x9 design, it seems the 22 is really where I want to be. Chris
  • 05-19-2011
    subspd
    Guys not to highjack the thread but what bashgaurd should I go with? I have a LX deore crankset. I never use the big ring and want to go 2x9.
  • 05-19-2011
    cjcrawford
    I got a 32 tooth bash guard that's very nice from this guy:

http://www.bbgbashguard.com/

fits nicely a little larger than my middle chain ring using the existing bolts.

Cheers
  • 05-19-2011
    subspd
    What crankset are you running?
  • 05-19-2011
    LCW
    Quote:

Originally Posted by subspd
    Guys not to highjack the thread but what bashgaurd should I go with? I have a LX deore crankset. I never use the big ring and want to go 2x9.

I used a Race Face bash light on my LX cranks... fit perfectly... not overly bulky, perfect for XC...