Second thoughts on new Following MB, can I get better value for $4k?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

New question here. Second thoughts on new Following MB, can I get better value for $4k?

I recently placed an order for a Following MB GX build; competitive cyclist were clearing out old frames to make room for the v3 so I managed to grab one with GX, Fox Float 34, Super Deluxe RCT Debonair, and oneup carbon bars for $3.9k shipped. Seems to me like a pretty good deal for the money.

Backorder date has been pushed until July, which works for me as I won't be back in Colorado until then. But I've been spending this time doing more research and I'm starting to get the feeling I can do better, especially if I'm willing to wait. I'm eyeing the YT Jeffsey Pro 29 as it's the same price and delivery date, and the new YT Izzo Pro only a couple weeks behind it. Pretty much the same specs on those and I've noticed some similar newly-redesigned trail bikes like the Norco Optic and Fuel Ex.

My issue draws from not really knowing modern geometry, much less full-sus trail bikes. I've done most of my riding on a 2014 trail hardtail and all I know is that I'm looking for a 29er trail bike, perhaps short travel like the Evil. I don't know how much geometry has changed from 2018 to 2020, although I'm seeing 2020 frame redesigns being lauded all over.

Would swapping my order for a 2020 bike like a Jeffsey get me better value for my money or should I stick with the deal I found on the Evil?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I can't speak to those two bikes, but I'm loving my 2020 Orbea Occam. The M30 is $3999 with good specs. Just a really fantastic do-it-all trail bike. Fast, agile, and an excellent climber. But there a lot of great bikes these days. That's just the one I know.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    The Following MB is shorter front/back, steeper Head Angle, slacker Seat Angle lower BB, and less travel.

That said, the MB will probably handle snappier, feel more playful and still descend like a beast. Will get slightly overwhelmed in rockier terrain compared to the YT and the YT will most likely climb more comfortably. The YT will also feel more stable on high speed steeper runs.

Depending on what and how you ride the Jeffsey may be better if you live in area with chunkier trails.

I owned a V1 Following and was hands down the funnest bike I have ever owned. In the end I wanted more, something that could get me out of trouble easier but I sure miss the playfulness of the Following, nothing like it..

The YT may be the best of both worlds. Hard to say on Value.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I come from a surfing background so I donít really get the MTB infatuation with tiny differences in geo. Everyone is a different size, has different strengths, mobility, style and preferences. Not to mention everyone rides different trails at different skill levels. All of those variables seem about 10x more important than a degree here or there.

Iíd bet if you put a spandex cover on 10 bikes from 2018 model year and the same 10 models from 2020 and had reviewers blind taste test which was which, they couldnít even do it.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by itsky View Post
    Iíd bet if you put a spandex cover on 10 bikes from 2018 model year and the same 10 models from 2020 and had reviewers blind taste test which was which, they couldnít even do it.
    I dunno, I think that depends on your riding level. Those tiny differences sum up to a big change.

I know a few veteran shaper's and the difference in material, layup, thickness, rocker, rails, tails, deck, nose shape make a huge difference in all aspects.

Some people are into that and others like yourself just are not it seems.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by La Nada View Post
    I can't speak to those two bikes, but I'm loving my 2020 Orbea Occam. The M30 is $3999 with good specs. Just a really fantastic do-it-all trail bike. Fast, agile, and an excellent climber. But there a lot of great bikes these days. That's just the one I know.
    Another brand that's new to me! There's so many to pick from and my brain just can't seem to hold all of them. Looks like a really solid bike but the NX groupset has me leaning towards my initial options still.

Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    I owned a V1 Following and was hands down the funnest bike I have ever owned. In the end I wanted more, something that could get me out of trouble easier but I sure miss the playfulness of the Following, nothing like it..

The YT may be the best of both worlds. Hard to say on Value.

Thanks sharing your experiences, good to know you really liked your v1. I think I'm leaning towards sticking with the Evil, I prefer flowier trails but that might just be because my bones are getting rattled out of place on my hardtail right now while riding anything else. Can't really make a wrong decision I guess. As for value, they both seem to be fantastic deals for carbon frames with the GX groupset. I guess the Evil has a slight advantage for coming with carbon bars.

Quote Originally Posted by itsky View Post
    I come from a surfing background so I donít really get the MTB infatuation with tiny differences in geo.
    I'll be the first to admit I'm being hella nitpicky, I just have really nothing better to do right now while I'm trapped in my NYC apartment. I just wrapped up college so this is a really big purchase for me right now, just trying to make the most of it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    That's the M30 eagle. You want the regular M30. That comes with slx 12 spd. Better than gx eagle imo.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by La Nada View Post
    That's the M30 eagle. You want the regular M30. That comes with slx 12 spd. Better than gx eagle imo.
    Ahh, gotcha. Did some reading, surprised to see that the SLX shifts better than SRAM. Feels wrong that it's capable of downshifting (upshifting? Not sure lol) while mashing the pedals but that's mad impressive. Not to mention the orange/teal color scheme on that bike is dope, damn you for making me second-guess myself even more

I'm going to call Competitive Cyclist and see if they can switch the crankset to SLX, they have some weird pricing scheme going on with the parts I bought on the sale so hopefully it ends up cheaper than GX.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Haha I hear ya man. I went through the same process before landing on the occam. In fact, I have a Banshee Phantom frame in the garage because I changed my mind after buying that. Too many good bikes!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    If you want silky smooth shifting you have to look upwards in SRAM's lines XO/XX1 bracket. I ordered my bike with GX Eagle and eventually went to XX1 Eagle. My wife's bike came with SLX and I just didn't feel it. Eventually, after she just neglected the bike I took it for my own (Orbea Loki) and went XX1 Eagle with it too, day and night change IMO.

The good thing GX is a good intro to the design cues of SRAM's higher models yet different materials and quality are being used in their higher models. I normally don't mash my shifter for massive drops or upshifts but I can see how that can be appealing when something pops up and you need to act quickly.
    2019 Ibis DV9 XX1 Gold | Code RSC | 25.4lbs
    2018 Orbea Loki 27 XX1 Rainbow/Black/Grey | Code RSC | 28.11lbs

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I have 11spd X01 on my hardtail right now and I'm quite happy with it, but for my new bike I don't really have the budget to go with bikes that are specced with anything higher than GX/SLX. I've also trained myself to shift without power when I need to so I'm not sure how much of a plus the hyperglide is but like you said, it is nice to have the option when it's needed every once in a while.

mtbr member
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by slomtbr View Post
    Thanks for the rec but the Trance isn't for me. My budget is between builds and I'm not a fan of the SX crankset and fork on the Pro 3.