Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Seatpost..Aluminum vs Carbon vs Ti

2K views 43 replies 22 participants last post by  tedsti 
#1 ·
I'm starting the parts list for a new build. I've been using Thomson posts on most of my mountain bikes, and a carbon post on my road bike. This build is a steel rigid single speed. The set up will most likely be Exi's or Ignitors, probably tubeless, with pressures in the mid 20's. I guess my question is, can you really feel the difference between a Aluminum, carbon or Ti post, or will the cush of the tires and the big wheels negate the damping features of carbon or Ti.

Steve

#2 ·
In terms of bump absorbtion:

1) Ti
2) Carbon
3) Alu

I have a new Moots Ti post showing up next week for my full rigid Curtlo (which hopefully shows up next week too). I too will be running Exis to help cushion things out.

I hear of carbon posts breaking waaaay to much. Aluminum has no give, so titanium it is.

cruzthepug said:
I'm starting the parts list for a new build. I've been using Thomson posts on most of my mountain bikes, and a carbon post on my road bike. This build is a steel rigid single speed. The set up will most likely be Exi's or Ignitors, probably tubeless, with pressures in the mid 20's. I guess my question is, can you really feel the difference between a Aluminum, carbon or Ti post, or will the cush of the tires and the big wheels negate the damping features of carbon or Ti.

Steve

#4 ·
Buy whichever you think looks nicest or fits your budget. :D I remember something from college physics about the propagation of waves, i.e. vibration, varying through different materials... I can see this applying to a seatpost, or frame, or handlebars for that matter, when you are talking about vibration transmitted from riding on gravel roads but this is not bumb absorption. None of these materials are going to compress and absorb a bump. All of these materials will flex to a degree in varying amounts but the design of the product will dictate how much it flexes more than the material it is made of.

#5 ·
cruzthepug said:

Steve
When I ride SS, I find that I don't sit in the saddle as much as when riding a gearie. So I would just buy the lightest one out there, regardless of material. Comfort is not a concern on SS's to me.

That being said, I could tell much of a difference between my Thomson posts and an Easton carbon or a Race Face Next Carbon. I haven't ever tried a ti seatpost. Nobody makes one long enough (I would need a 400mm 27.2 in case I am wrong let me know). I would suspect that ti would feel more forgiving than the other two materials.

I have used ti, carbon, and aluminum seatposts on a Road bike, but with such a short post, it really has never mattered to me what the material of the post is. It all has felt the same.

#6 ·
Law said:
When I ride SS, I find that I don't sit in the saddle as much as when riding a gearie. So I would just buy the lightest one out there, regardless of material. Comfort is not a concern on SS's to me.

That being said, I could tell much of a difference between my Thomson posts and an Easton carbon or a Race Face Next Carbon. I haven't ever tried a ti seatpost. Nobody makes one long enough (I would need a 400mm 27.2 in case I am wrong let me know). I would suspect that ti would feel more forgiving than the other two materials.

I have used ti, carbon, and aluminum seatposts on a Road bike, but with such a short post, it really has never mattered to me what the material of the post is. It all has felt the same.
I have found this post, and looks to be at the top of the list so far. Law it's 400 x 27.2.

http://www.flyte1.com/soar/janette/store/compdetail.asp?sku=AB-SP-MTB-400

I think it down to either a thomson or Ti. I going for all silver components on this bike, so I guess carbon is out.

Steve

#7 ·
cruzthepug said:
I have found this post, and looks to be at the top of the list so far. Law it's 400 x 27.2.

http://www.flyte1.com/soar/janette/store/compdetail.asp?sku=AB-SP-MTB-400

I think it down to either a thomson or Ti. I going for all silver components on this bike, so I guess carbon is out.

Steve
THANK YOU!!!

I think I will order it soon. I have to wait for my wife to calm down from a recent rash of upgrades on my bikes. It was actually more like a plague of upgrades in her mind. I like the slight layback on it too.

#8 ·
#13 ·
anti-seize

bigdrunk said:
? Ti prep? Fill me in. If I use a aluminum shim in my steel frame with a Moots post, do I need to do anything special other than put grease on it?

I have never owned anything titanium :confused:
use copper based anti-seize on ti post and aluminum shim.

#16 ·
The Flyte post is a good deal. Be careful though. My friend got one that was under-sized and kept slipping. He had to send it back. I run the Dean ti post. It is @400 mm long and I used to run a Thomson. I can easily tell the difference. My frame has a lot of post showing to allow the post to flex, and it sure does (you can see it). The Dean head looks like a better design than the Flyte. It adjusts with a 5mm allen (Thomson uses a 4mm) so it is easier to work with without having rounding out the heads. I will never go back to an aluminum post on a hardtail.

#17 ·
teamdicky said:
The Flyte post is a good deal. Be careful though. My friend got one that was under-sized and kept slipping. He had to send it back. I run the Dean ti post. It is @400 mm long and I used to run a Thomson. I can easily tell the difference. My frame has a lot of post showing to allow the post to flex, and it sure does (you can see it). The Dean head looks like a better design than the Flyte. It adjusts with a 5mm allen (Thomson uses a 4mm) so it is easier to work with without having rounding out the heads. I will never go back to an aluminum post on a hardtail.
Yeah, I wish the Dean had an offset.

#19 ·
bigdrunk said:
? Ti prep? Fill me in. If I use a aluminum shim in my steel frame with a Moots post, do I need to do anything special other than put grease on it?

I have never owned anything titanium :confused:
I don't own a whole lot of titanium either, but I recall from several years ago when titanium bottom brackets and hardware were common.that we were always told to use anti-seize on all titanium threads. The purpose was to prevent seizing at the molecular level. I wonder if it applies to the seatpost/seattube interface?

#20 ·
Moots Ti setback....
no doubt one of the most comfy posts to have ever graced one of my rides. Got a few Moots goodies a few weeks back - a 380mm setback post and one of their flat bars 25" x 8* for the Desalvo I had built up last summer. Post replaced a thomson and after the last couple of days in Moab taking a break from winter that has had a lot of skiing- WOW, even w/ my lack of saddle time it was very obvious of the increase in comfort while I was feeling that I hadn't sat on a saddle since early November when mother nature buried all of the trails. Helluva lot smoother and the bar had a nice little bit of 'give' as well, the 8* sweep felt good too, now I just need to get the crown race installed on the Pace fork that has been starring at me the last few weeks and I'll be all fired up for spring in the desert.

yeah its not cheap but hey its a small price to pay for a bit more comfort and its pretty dang light to boot

cheers from the wasatch

D

#21 ·
Nat said:
So should I use Ti Prep on this post in a steel frame?
I would say do that. I know that Ti bonds w/ aliminum the easiest, meaning it will could seize up easier, but I would put a little anti-seeze on the post/seatube for good measure. I just ordered one of these posts for my rigid Paragon woooooo. Can't wait.

#22 ·
Who is as important as what it's made of

This is the first thing I've communicated on any site...so bear with me if I violate some rule of etiquite. It gets so tedious being a paid [I pay them by purchasing the part] R&D test pilot. I've had Ti seatposts, aluminum seatposts, and carbon fiber seatposts by a number of respected maufacturers fail. It just happens sometime. I suggest picking a company that will make it right if something unforseen happens, because life and certainly bicycle parts are imperfect at best.
Though I don't always use their parts, I believe Thompson makes about the most trouble free durable components. Good luck with your purchase. There seems to be a great deal of vaulble information being offered here.

#23 ·
JC2niner said:
I would say do that. I know that Ti bonds w/ aliminum the easiest, meaning it will could seize up easier, but I would put a little anti-seeze on the post/seatube for good measure. I just ordered one of these posts for my rigid Paragon woooooo. Can't wait.
I ordered one too, yee hahh!

I wonder if I should put some ti-prep between my titanium handlebar and aluminum stem then?

#24 ·
teamdicky said:
I noticed in your profile that you're already riding a Ti framed bike. Do you think that putting a Ti post in an aluminum frame would have made such a large difference?

Just curious as I've wondered about a Ti seatpost for a long time.

#26 ·
Shawn595 said:
I noticed in your profile that you're already riding a Ti framed bike. Do you think that putting a Ti post in an aluminum frame would have made such a large difference?

Just curious as I've wondered about a Ti seatpost for a long time.
I went from a Thomson to a Dean on the to bike and I was able to tell a big difference. I think the biggest factor is how much post sticks out of the frame.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.