Seat Post- Mtbr.com

Thread: Seat Post

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Seat Post

Am I crazy? I have a sweet Thomson layback post that puts me in great position but I am lusting a Ti Moots layback. Those of you that maybe have used both, what are your thoughts? Is the Ti Moots post really that much better of a ride? The weight is not much diff. But if I am going to pop that much $$$ I really would like to see a ride/comfort improvement. This is going on my KM by the way.

Recovering couch patato
    I don't own a Moots, and never tried one, but wish I would.
    Perhaps there's more affordable options in ti layback posts that perform at about the same level? How's the Airborne, anyone?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    I would never use anything but a 29er specific seatpost.

;-)

P::..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I am also on the verge of buying one for my X-Caliber.....

Would also love to hear how much more comfortable the Moots is than a standard aluminum post.

They do look nice!

drc
    annoyingly cautious
    Jan 2004

Airborne-nice post

with a WTB Speed-V saddle is far more comfortable than a straight alu post. To make the alu post as comfortable I need an Azonic Love Seat; comfy, cheap but very heavy. My only mistake with the Ti post was being too cheap to buy the lock-open pliers. If I had used those I could have had an extra 40 min of ride time that day and could have saved all those cuss words for another occasion.

Just Ride!
    It seems as though no one including Moots offer a Ti layback post in 31.6? What then a shim? Surely someone can draw Ti in this diameter!

mtbr member

I have had both

I have had both and while I really *wish* I could say the Moots feels better (after spending that much money on it) I just can't. It's a really pretty post and it's really light and strong, but I just can't tell that much difference.

I'm certainly keeping my Moots post but, given the price, I don't know if I'd rush out and buy another one when next I'm in need of a layback post. Prolly another Thomson or one of the Race Face models with the generous setback would do fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Buy one- you'll never regret it.

It's elegant and simple in design, and has the expected Moots level of workmanship.

I'm running a 380mm layback version on my 94 Kona Hot (Tange Ultimate) steel hardtail with quite a bit of exposed seatpost. I think I have a more compliant ride than any of the Trek STP frames offered (for comparison). It was well worth the price of admission and they are actually borderline reasonable in price from aebike.com...

One of the best things I ever did to my steel hardtail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ordered one today. Will have to use a SHIM to be able to use the 27.2 seat post in my 31.6 seat tube.

Hope it works.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

31.6 Posts Vs. 27.2

Sure, someone could draw tubing in a 31.6 OD for posts, but there aren't nearly as many 31.6 frames as 27.2. Also, remember the conversation about larger diameter tubes vs. smaller diameter tubes? What do we know class? That's right a 31.6 post would be stiffer and much less "plush" than a 31.6. So it's to bad a shim has to be used. But, the market is limited for a 31.6, small, very small and it wouldn't ride nearly as nice as a 27.2 will.

mtbr member

I have a Moots Ti layback post on a KM

I really think it helps with taking the edge off of the bumps and dips in the trail. My back pain was all but relieved by this post and an H-bar. I didn't have any trouble with the set-up, but some people have. Give the reviews a looksee before installation. Good luck...