Screw it... I'm running a Raven- Mtbr.com
    Category Winner

Screw it... I'm running a Raven

I'm heading to Breckenridge in five days for the Breck Epic Stage Race. Although I have no aspirations of glory I want to suffer as little as possible getting up the climbs to enjoy the views and the descents. In an effort to reduce the suffering I've mounted up a 23T cog and lightened my One 9 up as much as possible (except for swapping the 7" front rotor for a 6").

I pulled off my standard Crossmark and swapped it for a Stan's Raven I won at the Trans-Sylvania Epic back in June. One hundred plus grams of rotating weight shed and the loss of many knobby protrusions in the process. This is against the advice of two people I respect but whatever.

Since I used to race on 26X1.5 Continental Cross Country tires back in the day I feel like I'll probably live through the week of racing. Worst case scenario I flat somewhere up in the mountains and enjoy the view while I fix it and then swap back to the Crossmark when I get back to my tent at the end of the day.

If the tire holds up for the whole week then I'll swap it to my Tallboy when I feel like racing it instead of the SS in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screw it... I'm running a Raven-screwit2.jpg  

Screw it... I'm running a Raven-screwit1.jpg  

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

jms
    mtbr member

Wear comfortable shoe

2.0 or 2.2?

Great tire in the right environment, one w/o sharp rocks. Good luck and wear comfortable shoes to walk in Rich.

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    Mine survived the Wilderness 101, if that makes you feel any better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Please post results when done....really interested.
    2010 Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 29er HT
    Running S-Works Fast Trak LK's w/no-tubes

Category Winner
    Comfortable shoes?

Like any proper mall jocker I sacrifice comfort for fashion:

I'm running the 2.2.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    I'm getting the same tires. I'm going to run a 2.0 though. I'm also running mine rigid with the Niner carbon fork. I think you'll be fine with that setup.

mtbr member
    What ever happened to your Moots?

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber999
    What ever happened to your Moots?

It's living in a retirement community.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    It's living in a retirement community.
    I'm for one curious. Could you pose something to that affect on your blog?

Category Winner
    I'm for one curious. Could you pose something to that affect on your blog?

So you're the guy who reads my blog???
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    So you're the guy who reads my blog???
    Naa...Just's been looking at the pictures...

Seriously, just wonder why a top racers like yourself would give up on Ti and sliders for Al and EBB...

Addicted to Dirt
    Comfortable shoes?

Like any proper mall jocker I sacrifice comfort for fashion:

I'm running the 2.2.
    Make sure you hike-a-bike with your right shoe only, left looks sketchy...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Seriously, just wonder why a top racers like yourself would give up on Ti and sliders for Al and EBB...
    It was the huge folds of bills Niner is pushing his way. If you read far enough back, you will get to see the whole story. Moots are expensive bikes, but they are expensive to build and did not have as much to offer. Niner sells more bikes and was able to offer Rich a six fugure contract for 2010.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

banjo plunker, wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    It was the huge folds of bills Niner is pushing his way. If you read far enough back, you will get to see the whole story. Moots are expensive bikes, but they are expensive to build and did not have as much to offer. Niner sells more bikes and was able to offer Rich a six fugure contract for 2010.
    Okay Rich, so how much are you going to have to pay them. (Niner), to ride their bike....hopefully, not six figures! I should get my Giant Anthem 2 in about a month or sooner I hope...I'll let you know what I think....gonna run some heavy-duty Halo wheels and hubs on it.
    any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr

The best part is the two week time share on the private Niner island.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    That sucks! Where do you ride on this island?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Well since the is the Virgin Atlantic island and there are walking paths everywhere, I would say "everywhere". Also, the beach!

mtbr member
    Look how puny it is. Two pedal strokes and you are right across the "mini-me" Island.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    This photo is a long shot. Check it out:
    http://www.neckerisland.virgin.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    What is on the toe of the right shoe??

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by kardy
    What is on the toe of the right shoe??
    toe bumper/guard. You need those when you take a road shoe and put some lugs on it and sell it as a mountain bike shoe. The best part is even though they charge you north of $300 for the shoes they still make you pay extra for those widgets. God bless the Italians!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    toe bumper/guard. You need those when you take a road shoe and put some lugs on it and sell it as a mountain bike shoe. The best part is even though they charge you north of $300 for the shoes they still make you pay extra for those widgets. God bless the Italians!
    Receive a correction; the guards come with the shoes.
    As far as functionality, my understanding it is optional since not every terrain warrants the extra protection (read, rocky...)

Plays with tools
    fair enough, I've always seen them as aftermarket parts so I thought they weren't included with any model. Nice of them to through them in with their flagship product though.

I love how Ferrari charges $1850 to put their logo on the front fender of the car you just payed $$$ for.

Category Winner

Not that sliders are bad, but I really prefer EBB's. They both work, and they both have their drawbacks. I think Black Cat swinging drops would be the bee's knees, but that's not an option for me right now.

Ti VS aluminum?

I love ti, the all day ride feel, the durability, the lack of paint to screw up... but the One 9 has just been a blast to ride. I was wary of riding aluminum for years, and I had my doubts, but now I wish I woulda tried it a long time ago. The stiffness makes it accelerate and maneuver like a champ. Honestly, at this point, it's the fastest feeling single speed I've ridden.

Now that I've been on steel, ti, and aluminum I think I've got a better idea of what they all have to offer, and for what I'm doing now I'm very pleased with what I've got.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner
    For those that wanted to know...

The tire lasted for 2.5 days of the Breck Epic before pinching on the Arch rim and ripping the sidewall on a rather heinous descent.

Oh well.

At least I got to try the Kenda Small Block 8 as a result (and I kinda like it).

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

craigsj
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    I love how Ferrari charges $1850 to put their logo on the front fender of the car you just payed $$$ for.
    Except they do not.

Ferrari offers a factory option to add their racing program crest in the standard location on the front fenders. This crest is not the Ferrari logo and it is not mandatory. It is simply the symbol of their racing team and many customers like to have it. All the Ferrari logos are "free".

Ferrari also charges to paint the brake calipers any color other than silver. Most would understand that charge, but you use the same amount of paint either way, right? It's a customization option that you pay for, just the same as the optional racing crest.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    The Ferrari logo's are not "free" you have to spend hundreds of thousands for them.

jms
    mtbr member

Out of the frying pan

At least I got to try the Kenda Small Block 8 as a result (and I kinda like it).
    Out of the frying pan and into the......yet another tire allergic to anything sharper than your wit Rich.

May I suggest the Conti Raceking as an alternative to either a SB8 or Raven?

craigsj
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy
    The Ferrari logo's are not "free" you have to spend hundreds of thousands for them.
    Ferrari logos are free, what they are attached to you often have to pay money for. If all you want is the logo, then they are expensive.

Its got what plants crave
    Dude.... you just phucked up your Ferrari!
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

craigsj
    The logo that you are charged extra for is the Scuderia Ferrari crest. You can read about Scuderia Ferrari here and here among many places I'm sure.

“The original idea was to make the Scuderia a team of owner drivers, but eventually it acquired an official team of professional drivers,...” - Enzo Ferrari

The Scuderia Ferrari crest has a meaning distinct from the Ferrari company logo and it's history predates Ferrari (the automobile company) itself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've heard the Kenda Small Block is just a Crow/Raven with better traction. Kenda makes tires for Stans

Tulsa
    sounds like quite a challenge on a single speed, well done

for the other guys

http://www.amazon.com/Ferrari-Sticker-Set/dp/B001EO2J7S
    wherever you go, there you are

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esXso
    I've heard the Kenda Small Block is just a Crow/Raven with better traction. Kenda makes tires for Stans
    I think the Kenda Karma is more similar to the Raven/Crow than the SB8.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by amishscum
    I think the Kenda Karma is more similar to the Raven/Crow than the SB8.
    Bingo

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm always interested to see what kind of gearing the pro's use. Funny, it's almost always easier than what most amateurs use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by photodog
    I'm always interested to see what kind of gearing the pro's use. Funny, it's almost always easier than what most amateurs use.
    well most amateurs aren't gearing for a 240 mile endurance race with 37,000 feet of climbing, so I think dicky has a decent excuse for such wimpy gearing

Stayin' Puft
    For those that wanted to know...

The tire lasted for 2.5 days of the Breck Epic before pinching on the Arch rim and ripping the sidewall on a rather heinous descent.

Oh well.

Congrats on the finish, Dicky. That's huge.

I was decending Wheeler last weekend and kind of wondered about your tire, remembering your post. I guess the tire did not make it to that stage. So...where did the Raven give out? French Pass descent?

I've had pretty good luck with a FastTrack Control rear /Captain Control front combo around Breck lately...2.0 for both. Surprisingly enough. I finish rides, look at my tires and shake my head.

Anyway, you are one BA dude (as an acronym, it sounded wrong to say "BM" like the belt buckle.)

mtbr member
    well most amateurs aren't gearing for a 240 mile endurance race with 37,000 feet of climbing, so I think dicky has a decent excuse for such wimpy gearing
    He put on a harder gear after a few key people hiked past him. His pro legs were just too powerful
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    I wasn't commenting on his gearing other than to say it's interesting to see what gearing he chose for this particular race and that I've generally found most amateurs let their egos get in the way and gear too tall.

Dickey, I'm curious, what's the tallest gearing you race with?

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonrat
    Congrats on the finish, Dicky. That's huge.

I was decending Wheeler last weekend and kind of wondered about your tire, remembering your post. I guess the tire did not make it to that stage. So...where did the Raven give out? French Pass descent?

I've had pretty good luck with a FastTrack Control rear /Captain Control front combo around Breck lately...2.0 for both. Surprisingly enough. I finish rides, look at my tires and shake my head.

Anyway, you are one BA dude (as an acronym, it sounded wrong to say "BM" like the belt buckle.)

It gave out on the first rocky descent on day three... before we even made it to the pass. Meh.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner

I tried the 33X23 to see how it would go. It was a total failure. I replaced it with a 33X20 after day one, and after pushing it for five days in CO I managed to do the Shenandoah Mountain 100 with a 33X18.

Next time I see a "pro" I'll ask him/her what they are running.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner
    I wasn't commenting on his gearing other than to say it's interesting to see what gearing he chose for this particular race and that I've generally found most amateurs let their egos get in the way and gear too tall.

Dickey, I'm curious, what's the tallest gearing you race with?

Mentioned it somewhere else, but the hardest gear I turn is a 33X18. I don't have the meat sticks for anything taller.

My ego destroyed me at last year's Breck Epic. This year I just let my lack of fitness do that dirty work for me,
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Members who have read this thread: 0