Scott spark vs SC tallboy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Scott spark vs SC tallboy

Looking for advice about these bikes. I can get a good deal from my LBS on either bike, the spark 910 or the CC X01 tallboy. I am coming off of a Niner Jet 9 RDO. The geometry is more or less similar on the spark and tallboy. I have ridden the tallboy and love the way it climbs. I haven’t had a chance to ride the spark and would like an opinion. I will be primarily being riding XC marathon races like Oramm and Fools gold with occasional trips to pisgah. I am looking for a “quiver of one” bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The spark lists 2.6 as the max tire vs 2.3 for the tallboy.

mtbr member
    The Spark pedals a lot better than the Tallboy and it's also much lighter.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    The Spark pedals a lot better than the Tallboy and it's also much lighter.
    seems like the tallboy is actually ~0.8 lbs lighter... it may ride lighter though.
    love my tallboy, not sure its an "xc" rig with the tires it came with. probably a tire swap will make it ride much lighter (comes with 900 g minion up front, and an ardent race back).

Oren

mtbr member
    just remember.... SC warranty... thats a plus too.
    SC Megatower, SC Hightower LT(sold) , SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    just got a tallboy 3 cc. fits the “one bike quiver”. pretty sure that a scott spark rc Nino rides is faster & lighter, but i”m damned fast on this bike and keep ahead of the “weight weenie solid fork” crowd and can still jump while going crazy fast.
    The bike itself is not crazy light and that was exactly the reason I bought it after having 3 warranty replacement frames in 4 years with another manufacturer. SC took an light xc frame, slapped 300 grams of carbon extra on it and fitted it out like a trailbike. Better for me than flexstays and sub 10 kg FS bikes.
    However, if you are not looking at both going fast uphill and having a bike that stays in one piece when you go downhill you also might consider the SC Blur which is quite similar in geometry but a little but more on the XC side.

The tallboy could also shed quite a lot of weight when you would replace some trail components by more xc oriented stuff but the built you are looking at is not to bad in that regard. and yes, a bit heavier than the spark RC but lighter then the standard Scott Spark, Cannondale Scalpel standard edition without going to the 10k builds.

One thing i don”t like about the tallboy and if you are looking for marathon xc races should also interest you is that it only has mounts for 1 bottle cage.
    That plainly sucks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    just want to add that i just improved my PR”s on nearly ALL my climbs today first round on the Tallboy( > top 10% out of 5000 riders or so) And actually i was going for a round of fun & jumping. Which I actually succeeded in. so i had both more fun and was faster, so for a one bike quiver the Tallboy is performing nicely.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochnes View Post
    One thing i don”t like about the tallboy and if you are looking for marathon xc races should also interest you is that it only has mounts for 1 bottle cage.
    That plainly sucks.
    One option for two bottles is https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...s/b-rad-system

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    looked at the wolftooth, don”t think it will work, cannot fit two bottles above eachother or sideways. was thinking about epoxy-ing some bottle bosses on the underside downtube

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochnes View Post
    just got a tallboy 3 cc. fits the “one bike quiver”. pretty sure that a scott spark rc Nino rides is faster & lighter, but i”m damned fast on this bike and keep ahead of the “weight weenie solid fork” crowd and can still jump while going crazy fast.
    The bike itself is not crazy light and that was exactly the reason I bought it after having 3 warranty replacement frames in 4 years with another manufacturer. SC took an light xc frame, slapped 300 grams of carbon extra on it and fitted it out like a trailbike. Better for me than flexstays and sub 10 kg FS bikes.
    However, if you are not looking at both going fast uphill and having a bike that stays in one piece when you go downhill you also might consider the SC Blur which is quite similar in geometry but a little but more on the XC side.

The tallboy could also shed quite a lot of weight when you would replace some trail components by more xc oriented stuff but the built you are looking at is not to bad in that regard. and yes, a bit heavier than the spark RC but lighter then the standard Scott Spark, Cannondale Scalpel standard edition without going to the 10k builds.

That plainly sucks.
    Blur with a Fox 34 SC fork 120mm is really incredible! Consider it. It’s a rocket and will handle everything the TB3 could.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Fragile af

So guys, Scott Sparks are fragile bikes, beware.

Lets get a couple things out of the way....

1. I was first told i should be riding a large - my initial purchase was a Scott Spark RC 900 Pro in large
    2. This frame was too small, I'm almost 6'2 - 198lbs
    3. I brought it back to change for an XL frame, there were none left
    4. I was told i would need to dish out an additional 2500 + tax to get an XL Spark SL
    5. At this point, i had spent about $11,500CAD on the bike to get the size that fits me properly, This took 2 months to achieve. Eek.

Finally, my SL arrived, and it was beautiful, and damn fast!!!

I had a miniature crash. I didn't even hit the dirt, and held on to my bike. After which, i noticed what looked like a crack on my top tube. I don't recall it ever being impacted in the crash...

Earlier in the ride, i rode down a valley, with a G-OUT at the bottom, where i heard a slap sound. Figured my fork bottomed out, but it hadn't... This is relevant later in the story.

I emailed my bike shop, they thought the frame was cracked - ouch! I had taken this bike on its very first ride! We sent the images to Scott's warranty department, where they identified the damage as simply a surface scratch, which they see a lot of, when the frame comes in contact with the cleats on your biking shoes. "Go ahead and ride the bike, its safe 100%" So i did!

2nd ride in, and on the same g-out i heard the same "SLAP" sound. Again thought it was my fork, but nope, and not the shock. IT WAS THE FRAME CRACKING!

I sent the bike back to the shop and explained exactly what had happened. They fired the email and shots back to Scott and instantly Scott warranty flip flopped and said the frame is cracked due to impact and will not fulfil a warranty claim, instead i need purchase a replacement frame at a cost of $2000.

To be honest, i think these frames are flimsy, Ive been riding and racing for 20+ years, and have NEVER cracked a frame. For this frame to fail on me, after one ride is appalling. Im no Nino Schurter. I can't afford a new frame after every ride. Lightweight for your racers is fine, but build something durable for the everyday rider, who's not sponsored and can't afford to drop thousands after an afternoon ride.

Ive crashed other bikes, WAY HARDER, and ZERO damage. I have a HardTail Cannondale FS-I, weighs less than my spark, and i can ride that thing way harder. No damage, no issues.

Scott, first and last time i buy one of your bikes. My bike shop, however, has been amazing - even covering some costs. Kudos to them, bad form on Scott's customer service, and warranty department. They also keep deleting my posts, on Instagram - they take no responsibility.

Thoughts anyone?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejk78 View Post
    So guys, Scott Sparks are fragile bikes, beware.

Lets get a couple things out of the way....

1. I was first told i should be riding a large - my initial purchase was a Scott Spark RC 900 Pro in large
    2. This frame was too small, I'm almost 6'2 - 198lbs
    3. I brought it back to change for an XL frame, there were none left
    4. I was told i would need to dish out an additional 2500 + tax to get an XL Spark SL
    5. At this point, i had spent about $11,500CAD on the bike to get the size that fits me properly, This took 2 months to achieve. Eek.

Finally, my SL arrived, and it was beautiful, and damn fast!!!

I had a miniature crash. I didn't even hit the dirt, and held on to my bike. After which, i noticed what looked like a crack on my top tube. I don't recall it ever being impacted in the crash...

Earlier in the ride, i rode down a valley, with a G-OUT at the bottom, where i heard a slap sound. Figured my fork bottomed out, but it hadn't... This is relevant later in the story.

I emailed my bike shop, they thought the frame was cracked - ouch! I had taken this bike on its very first ride! We sent the images to Scott's warranty department, where they identified the damage as simply a surface scratch, which they see a lot of, when the frame comes in contact with the cleats on your biking shoes. "Go ahead and ride the bike, its safe 100%" So i did!

2nd ride in, and on the same g-out i heard the same "SLAP" sound. Again thought it was my fork, but nope, and not the shock. IT WAS THE FRAME CRACKING!

I sent the bike back to the shop and explained exactly what had happened. They fired the email and shots back to Scott and instantly Scott warranty flip flopped and said the frame is cracked due to impact and will not fulfil a warranty claim, instead i need purchase a replacement frame at a cost of $2000.

To be honest, i think these frames are flimsy, Ive been riding and racing for 20+ years, and have NEVER cracked a frame. For this frame to fail on me, after one ride is appalling. Im no Nino Schurter. I can't afford a new frame after every ride. Lightweight for your racers is fine, but build something durable for the everyday rider, who's not sponsored and can't afford to drop thousands after an afternoon ride.

Ive crashed other bikes, WAY HARDER, and ZERO damage. I have a HardTail Cannondale FS-I, weighs less than my spark, and i can ride that thing way harder. No damage, no issues.

Scott, first and last time i buy one of your bikes. My bike shop, however, has been amazing - even covering some costs. Kudos to them, bad form on Scott's customer service, and warranty department. They also keep deleting my posts, on Instagram - they take no responsibility.

Thoughts anyone?
    Some of their weights are hard to believe, but not in the context of reduced durability. Given their propensity for wacky proprietary suspension/shocks and obsessive weight weenie-ism, it's a brand I've never really taken seriously. There are a few brands that have just never seemed to figure out how to design a decent durable FS bike, like Gary Fisher in the 2000s.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.