Scott Spark or Scott Genius which is the better bike for me?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Scott Spark or Scott Genius which is the better bike for me?

Iím looking at a carry over 2013 Scott Spark 930 and a Genius 940 and canít decide which bike is best for me. I like the idea of having a bike with a little extra travel for those times I want to ride a DH course but 95% of my riding is going to be single track that can be handled with 100mm of travel. Iíd get the Genius if it wasnít for the fact that I do 3-4 races a year that are 40+ miles and Iím debating doing a 100 miler. I want a bike thatís comfortable to ride all day but also efficient, not sure how much efficiency Iím going to lose with that higher travel bike. Also Iím really torn between L and an M. Iím 5í11Ē with shoes and have a 33.5Ē inseam. I like the L in the Salsa Spearfish, Anthem, Camber and Epic I have test rode but the geometry of the Scott is a little different and Iím wondering how it will feel. I used to race MX so I think I feel more comfortable on a bigger bike but I also like the pros of a shorter wheelbase.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I have time on both modelsÖ910 2014 versionsÖand I would not be eager to do 100 miles on a Genius if time was important to me. Not even 40+ if it was a race and I wanted to be competitive. The Spark is a quite decent trail burke if 100mm is all you need. The slacker angles feel great on trail and the shock 'chip' allows for some tuning.

You do not lose a lot with the Genius as the Twin Loc saves the day, but it will be heavier.

I am 6'2" and have a 34" inseam. So long arms and upper body. The LG Spark was too short for me but the LG Genius was just right (both with 100mm stem). They are quite different bikes and do not size the same.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Unfortunitly I wont be able to test ride due to my location and availability.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's another review of the Genius--
    Scott Genius 910: Final Review
    although a 910.

mtbr member
    Spark if you are doing non-technical races. I have a 2013 920 Spark and my husband has a Genius 710. He also has 29er hardtail. He will only race the Genius on really technical courses (he did the True Grit on it) and enduro races. His 710 isn't much heavier than my 920 (I don't have the lightest seat or pedals either) but the 940 will be a lot heavier than the Spark 930. And the Spark is still pretty fun. It's a 29er and full suspension so it'll roll over things, and does well on the downhill (as long as you remember to unlock the shocks).

Also my husband and I are both 5'9" and have the mediums.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Scott genius 940

Hi
    I have Scott genius 940 and regularly go out in the lakes and Yorkshire dales on all day mountain rides between 20 and 40 miles. I have to admit to not being bothered about time but I regularly leave my 26 inch wheel friends behind on steep technical climbs. I am 5 feet 9.5 and after changing the bike handle bars, the stem, and saddle I fit really well into the bike size medium. My brother has a Spark and is 6 feet tall he uses the large frame size.

worth noting the genius is much stronger than the spark so if the riding you do involves rough rocky trails it may be better. my brother rides mostly on Dartmoor and trail centres like Cann woods and finds the Spark fine for this type of riding plus his bike is a little bit lighter.
    Last edited by Oldjoe sew; 04-13-2014 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Missed frame size

Formerly of Kent

Scott Spark or Scott Genius which is the better bike for me?

I find the implication that one "needs" a 130mm+ travel bike for "technical" XC races slightly ridiculous. There were dudes on the podium that raced hard tails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

MORC Member
    Feb 2004
    I'm also in the market for a bike and just visited a Scott shop. One thing I didn't realize until looking at the specs is that the 700 series Sparks have 120mm travel. Not sure if you're interested in 650b but it's perfect for me at 5'4".
    Do you live in Minnesota? Join MORC to help support our trials!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If the extra suspension can be locked out, what exactly are you losing when racing? The Genius is heavier by what, a couple of pounds? When you consider the weight of the bike and rider, we are talking about what, a 2% difference? I love riding past guys on carbon fiber hard tails on my old 40-pound 5 Spot. Unless you are really serious about your racing, doubt you'd even notice it much on the shorter races. When you refer to serious DH, are you talking about bike parks? If so, I'd suggest you get the Spark and just rent a real DH machine for park days. I ride a Spark not because it is that much lighter and faster than a Genius, but because I enjoy technical climbs as much as descents, and the geometry of the Spark makes it a much better climber. I can get down everything on my Spark that I could on a Genius, but I can't get up everything on a Genius that I can on my Spark. When I'm off to the bike park, I have a DH bike that is much more fun than a Genius. There's my two cents for ya.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" with a 34" inseam. I've had both with identical builds, both large. Really enjoyed both, but the are different.

i think it boils down to the terrain you will ride most often...

Spark...well suited to fast, winding trails. This bike carves! It can hold it's own on any trail, but isn't as fun as the Genius when the trail gets really rough (think desert southwest). Get this one if you're always checking your times and looking for a PR, or if your trails aren't considered black diamond material. It is a capable trail bike, but the Genius has a higher limit for really difficult trails. I grew up in the midwest, and would choose the Spark there.

Genius...at home when it is rough and fast. Can be raced, can be used for DH shuttles in a pinch. It is a big bike and needs a shorter stem than the Spark (75mm for me, vs. 90mm on the Spark). Get this one if you want to know that the bike can handle any trail you may ever encounter. Extremely fast and capable on the downs, but a bit uninspiring on easier terrain. Gives up some, but very little to the Spark on the climbs.

The Genius can be raced effectively though, and is well suited to rough endurance races. I rode mine to 3rd place at True Grit in St. George, had it built to 23.25 lb for the race. 10,000 feet of climbing over 85 miles. And to LeDuke's point, Drew Edsal won on a 29 hardtail 13 minutes ahead. I also have a Scale HT, but chose the Genius for that race.

My Spark review...
    Scott Spark 29 Custom Review

My Genius review...
    Genius 900 SL Custom Review