Scott Spark 910 vs Orbea Oiz M10 TR- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Scott Spark 910 vs Orbea Oiz M10 TR

I am in the market for a new bike for some light trial riding and a few marathon races. I live in North Texas but ride in CO so I'm looking for a relatively light bike for climbing. I have Leadville on my bucket list so this bike would be the bike I ride there if I get in.

I have demo's both at Outerbike in Moab and demo'd the Scott on my home trail. I'm looking at a L in the Scott and a XL in the Orbea.

The Orbea is about $500 more but full carbon and spec'd a little better. It is also lighter. The 2020 Orbea seems to have a better lockout that is more similar to the Scott. Both have a dropper which I want. There are some 2019 Oiz out there but I think I like the 2020 spec better.

I would be interested in opinions from those familiar with both. Anything I should consider other than the bike that feels best or the best deal I can get? I can buy the Orbea local or online but one local dealer carries both.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have an XL Spark 900 Team Bike. It rips through twisty trails, is nimble on climbs, and comfortable for long rides. I have raced my bike at Palo Verde Marathon Nationals last Spring and XC in Winter Park, CO. The bike handled the trails in both locations well.

I have had the bike in Moab: Cap't Ahab, Navajo Rocks, Porcupine Rim and White Rim, with amazing comfort, control, and versatility on these trails.

On some of the larger drops the fork is pushed to it's limits, but overall the bike is amazing. The Scott is fast, fun, and very comfortable for short or long rides. Having the dual lockout is awesome and easy to use. The bike is light and works well for hammering, climbing, or cruising at a mellow pace. I do not use a dropper, but one could be useful with certain local rides(Denver area) and Moab, but the weight is not something I want at this time.

I have had the bike for 1 1/2 years without issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by johnm65 View Post
    I'm looking at a L in the Scott and a XL in the Orbea.
    What height and inseam are you with looking at the XL Orbea? Have you checked Orbea size in person or just going off chart measurements?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jstandfest View Post
    What height and inseam are you with looking at the XL Orbea? Have you checked Orbea size in person or just going off chart measurements?
    I think I answered you in another post but I demo'd this bike twice at Outerbike Moab. I told the demo team I was 6'2" with longer torso and they recommended the XL. It fit great. I have a 34" inseam and run seat height right at 30". There was a 3/4 - 1" of seatpost left which seemed fine - perhaps perfect.

I tend to be right on the line with L/XL depending on brands and I generally prefer a longer bike. With Scott the XL was too big. I had to lower the seat all the way to get to 30". the L felt great though. I tried a Spec Epic Evo in L and it felt to small. I rode a Fezzari Signal Peak in XL and the fit was great. With Canyon the L was too small and the XL seemed a little big. I could ride it but did not feel like I could control the bike like I wanted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My young friend that consistently podiums in open class at marathon events had an Oiz, which he loved, except that he was almost constantly chasing sloppy pivot issues.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    If you need more Demo Time on the Oiz I have them available down in Austin. Demos are free to take for a few days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorangutan View Post
    If you need more Demo Time on the Oiz I have them available down in Austin. Demos are free to take for a few days.
    good to know. thanks!

I hope to race the Austin Rattler next March and would love to get down and pre-ride the course in the next couple of months - maybe on demo....