Scott Genius 900 Tuned 2019 vs Stumpjumper Expert 2020- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2018

We the people ... Scott Genius 900 Tuned 2019 vs Stumpjumper Expert 2020

Please persuade me against one or the other.

They are currently available (to me) at about the same price (+$300 for Genius).

Riding style: I enjoy climbing as much as downhill, and I go for long day rides in the Swiss Alps.

Scott Genius 900 Tuned 2019
    +++ Probably the lightest bike in its category! (~12.5kg)
    ++ I love the idea of twinlock, turning the bike to an XC-like ride on the fly.
    ++ Top specced.
    + Local (Swiss), so if something goes wrong, servicing should be easier in most bike shops.
    -- Bike feels a bit low at the front end (see the crappy photo below)
    -- Really slack head angle at 65 degrees; this could be an issue with agility, tech climbing, ...
    - 34 e-Fox 150mm forks feel noodly to some (I am 80kg).
    - Paint is apparently thin and easily chipped - most use invisiframe.

Stumpjumper Expert 2020
    ++ I am used to this upright sitting position from my old Specialized Camber.
    ++ I love the swatbox.
    + Bike feels playful; 66.7 head angle is a bit steeper.
    + 2020 model has full lockout fox shocks, which I like using on flat commute.
    --- Heavy!! The bike is certainly above 14kg.
    -- All the equipment on the bike (shocks, gear, etc.) are a bit lower specced compared to Genius, except for the carbon wheels.
    - It looks like the DPX2 shock does not allow fitting a full sized water bottle.

I am sure there are other alternatives, but one way or another, they dropped off my list.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scott Genius 900 Tuned 2019 vs Stumpjumper Expert 2020-img_5151.jpg  

mtbr member
    Assuming you are comparing the Tuned Genius to the Expert carbon SJ, the Genius is at least $2,000-$2,500 more than the SJ. If you are getting them for the same price you are either paying way too much for the SJ or getting an absolute steal on the Genius. If it is the latter I would buy the Genius. If you don't like it, sell it and make some money on the deal!

I have a Genius so I'm biased. One of the best bikes I've ridden. It is a climbing machine. I had a 2016 SJ and couldn't sell it fast enough. As far as 2019/2020 SJ's, I've heard they are great and 3 of the guys I ride with have them and absolutely love them.

I wouldn't worry about the head angle on the Genius. It climbs fantastic and is VERY agile for a 150mm slack trail bike.

And just to clarify I have the 2019 Genius 930.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thanks!

The weird pricing is a Swiss thing. New bikes are a bit overpriced ($6300 for Stumpy) and "old" bikes can get good discounts ($6500 for Genius) at some stores. I guess they are trying to clear their showrooms for the 2020 models. So, Genius price probably is not a steal, but seemed reasonable.

I had a similar impression of the Stumpy 2020 (S-Works) when I test-rode it around the carpark (!!). But, it was a hefty 14.2kg with some heavy pedals on it. Even Ransom is lighter than that. Maybe I am too obsessed with the bike weight, but we have some amazing trails around here with serious big climbs. ~1.5kg can make a difference.

mtbr member
    Well I definitely would not buy the SJ Expert for $6500. Go for the Genius, you wont give up a thing to the SJ and you'll have better parts and resale.

The only thing you may not like about the 900 tuned is the Syncros Hixon stem/bar combo. It is low and has 0 adjustability.... other than removing it. It's also only 760mm. I have found that bike control on the Genius is greatly improved between 780-800. I run 800. The Hixon is slick to look at though, for what that's worth. It seems like more of a CC setup than trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Just brought the Genius in from the store. It's so beautiful!

I am enjoying the thrill of a new bike (which is not going to happen again for a looo-ooong time (says my wife)).

The Hixon bar seems OK for the moment as I am used to 750mm from my previous bike. I will keep your advice in mind though.

Interestingly, I could feel no difference between the open and traction modes in the fork suspension. I heard many people complaining about the traction mode making the front too stiff, but it doesn't seem to be the case for me at all. I wonder if the twinloc cable is too tight, not allowing the full open mode. Full lockout works fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy43 View Post
    I have a Genius so I'm biased. One of the best bikes I've ridden. It is a climbing machine.
    I can now confirm this. It turned out to be such a good climber! Despite the 2.6" tires (tubeless though), I was able to climb our local +400m (9%) hill faster and more efficiently than my old, short-travel Camber (2.35" tires). I think the lower weight, long reach, and low stack add up. On the blue downhill track, of course, it was way faster and more fun. I am quite pleased with the outcome.